Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rumors abound that Honda is working on an a rear wheel drive sports car which may be smaller than a Miata. Would any 9th Gen Accord owners trade your car for or add this beauty to your garage? It's a couple of years down the road in the US. Any comments?

SCOOP: HONDA WORKING ON RWD COMPACT SPORTS CAR

With a long-standing tradition of building compact, open-top sports cars that started with the S600 and recently ended with the S2000, Honda seems intent to get back into the game. After seeing the success Toyota/Subaru has had with the 86 (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ), Honda is primed to one-up its rivals. According to a source within Honda, a new affordable sports car is being seriously considered, but don’t expect something as high-end as the S2000…think small, quick and light. Here’s what we learned:

Many Honda engineers and executives believe that they were beat to the punch when Toyota/Subaru introduced its affordable rear-drive sports offering. And now that they know the market is hungry again for exciting affordable sports cars, a new “S1500” is on the drawing board within the walls of the company’s Tokyo headquarters. The car would be small, probably even smaller than the Mazda MX-5, and come equipped with either a 1.3-liter or 1.5-liter inline-4 with i-VTEC. If the latter, it could well be the current engine under the Fit’s hood that can produce up to 132 hp. The car would be very light, about 900 kg or right at about 2000 lb., making it very quick and agile. It would of course be rear-drive, and come with a 5-speed manual gearbox. Our source says he would like to see the car priced around $20,000. There’s even talk that the “S1500” may come with a mid-engine layout, a la the Honda Beat.

As for the car’s design direction, we hear that Honda would either use the Japan-only N-ONE as the base (as pictured here) or make it look more like the current Civic. We like the N-ONE styling because it pays homage to the S600. Either way, look for Honda to come up with this answer to the Toyota 86 and the Mazda MX-5 in 2015 or 2016.

http://www.gtchannel.com/blog/scoop-honda-working-rwd-compact-sports-car

·
Registered
884 Posts
Smaller than a Miata? It will never sell in the US. We're all to fat.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,397 Posts
ugly.... get rid of those bug-eyed headlights, and then you might be onto something.

EDIT: thread moved to other honda talk.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The styling on this car is way different from Honda's stance on their other car designs. Quite ugly in my opinion. Luckily its just a concept and hopefully it stays that way.

Revealed - two new Honda sportscar concept. Honda Beat and Honda S1500 convertible sportscars

Bestcar Magazine in Japan has the scoop on two new Honda Sportscars with rendered speculation as to the design trends.

One is a new Honda Beat concept. Original Beat was a KEI car class rear engine two seat convertible. New version looks to be a targa based on the Honda EV-ster concept from years past.

The second appears to be a retro version of the original Honda S### from the early 1960s with design ques from the current Honda N-One and the Honda Beat.

http://www.hondasacuras.com/2013/08/revealed-two-new-honda-sportscar.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's fine if they make this, but I hope it ultimately leads to a larger sports coupe/sedan.

Honda needs a RWD Infiniti/BMW fighter a lot more than they need a Miata fighter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
227 Posts
AWD turbo?

They could make a composite body Fit Turbo drop top coupe, AWD, rear engine, air cooled direct injection aftercooled diesel CVT with run flat tires :banana:

·
39.1 going on 40mpg!
3,699 Posts
It's just an artist's concept drawing. Basically, they took an S2000 and morphed a Honda Beat nose and tail to it. I'm sure the final result (JDM version) is going to look waaaay better than that. USDM version will look exactly like the picture above! :nuts:

I don't think anyone would trade their Accords in for the S1500, but maybe buy it as a fun weekend car in addition to their current car. If it's going to be under $20k and drives like a proper roadster, I'd consider adding it as a second car.

Let's see if Honda decides to build it first. It's way too early for solid specs, but whatever they are, it needs to have at least 145hp, 120tq, and a max of 2200lbs for it to work. Think about the last gen Toyota MR2. This car needs to meet or beat its intended target (Miata).

·
39.1 going on 40mpg!
3,699 Posts
Styling looks just like the failed Pontiac Solstice
BTW, the Pontiac Solstice was a hit. It was Pontiac as a company that failed.

Sales for Solstice:
Calendar Year Total American sales
2005 5,445
2006 19,710
2007 16,779
2008 10,739
2009 5,642
2010 7,409
Total (6 years): 65,724

Compared to the S2000:
Calendar Year Total American sales
1999 3,400
2000 6,797
2001 9,682
2002 9,684
2003 7,888
2004 7,320
2005 7,780
2006 6,271
2007 4,302
2008 2,538
2009 795
2010* 85
2011* 5

Total (13 years): 66,547

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Looks like something Penelope Pitstop would drive! :lmao:

Now, HERE is a Hot looking Honda!

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
if Honda can keep the weight down below 2k it will be a total blast to drive around the twisties I might have to move the tail of the dragon in NC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts