Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an oil change today, and noticed that the dealer charged for 6 quarts of oil. The capacity of the 2.0T is 5 quarts w/filter change per page 699 of the owner's manual, so it looks like they're just arbitrarily overcharging (or overfilling the oil). I'm not going back to a Honda dealer for anything other than warranty work -- I'm sure there are good dealers out there, but the one I bought my car from seems completely incompetent.

If there's a reason the oil capacity in my owner's manual is incorrect and 6 quarts is correct, please let me know. I'd love to be wrong about this.

This was my 2nd service, and each time I've been there the results have been poor. The first time they only checked tire pressure on the driver's side tires, and left the cover to the cabin air filter jammed INSIDE the filter housing requiring a pliers and some patience to remove. I found this out after feeling cold air coming from the glovebox, and slamming it open because they also failed to reconnect the strut that allows the glovebox door to open slowly. Each time they call to make sure I'm "completely satisfied" with the service, and when I relay the issues to them I'm told that they'd be glad to offer a free multipoint inspection for my trouble.

tl/dr: Honda service sucks

·
^^vv<><>BA
11,916 Posts
I got an oil change today, and noticed that the dealer charged for 6 quarts of oil. The capacity of the 2.0T is 5 quarts w/filter change per page 699 of the owner's manual, so it looks like they're just arbitrarily overcharging (or overfilling the oil).
Your dealer charges oil changes by the quart? That's very unusual.

Every dealer here charges a flat rate.

What's the price difference between a 5 qt oil change and a 6 qt change?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Your dealer charges oil changes by the quart? That's very unusual.

Every dealer here charges a flat rate.

What's the price difference between a 5 qt oil change and a 6 qt change?
They charge $4.97 per quart and itemized 6 quarts for the service, so the price difference is a little over $5 with tax. They're not particularly expensive per quart -- I just don't understand why they're charging for 6 when the engine capacity, including the filter, is 5.

If they're doing this for every oil change rolling in the shop, the overcharge could be significant over the course of time.

·
^^vv<><>BA
11,916 Posts
Did you not know service price or ask for price before having oil change done?

I would have asked for the price first before agreeing to service. If the price was acceptable (e.g. $29.99), then I wouldn't care how many quarts they list on the receipt.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What is the dipstick reading?
It's over the full line, but not as high as you'd expect if they used 6 quarts.

Did you not know service price or ask for price before having oil change done?

I would have asked for the price first before agreeing to service. If the price was acceptable (e.g. $29.99), then I wouldn't care how many quarts they list on the receipt.
Yeah, I knew the price. I want to go to your Honda dealer if they charge $29.99.

I was ok with the price, but that doesn't mean I want them to charge me for 6 quarts of oil if they should only be using 5. To be clear, they itemize parts and labor. I'm surprised you don't get an itemized receipt as well.

·
^^vv<><>BA
11,916 Posts
It's over the full line, but not as high as you'd expect if they used 6 quarts.
I was ok with the price, but that doesn't mean I want them to charge me for 6 quarts of oil if they should only be using 5. To be clear, they itemize parts and labor. I'm surprised you don't get an itemized receipt as well.
Maybe they put in something like 5.1 qts or 5.2 qts and rounded up, in their favor, to 6 qts, or because they cannot charge for 0.2 qts in system.

Yeah, I knew the price. I want to go to your Honda dealer if they charge $29.99.
They use to charge $29.99 or something like that. Now it's $39.95, but it's a BOGO deal. So it's actually $19.975 each. I do everything myself though. Maybe that's why they keep sending the coupons.

But if you were okay with the price going in, it shouldn't matter how many qts they list on receipt. At least it wouldn't to me.

It's like when someone complains that a dealer charged him/her a $500 doc fee for buying car. If you are okay with total OTD price, does it really matter what they list the fees as?

Simplified example: Would it make a difference if it was listed as (A) or as (B) or as (C)?

(A) $29,500.00 for car
$500.00 doc fee
Total: $30,000.00

(B) $29,999.00 for car
$1.00 doc fee

(C) $1.00 for car
$29,999.00 doc fee

End price is the same.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I got an oil change today, and noticed that the dealer charged for 6 quarts of oil. The capacity of the 2.0T is 5 quarts w/filter change per page 699 of the owner's manual, so it looks like they're just arbitrarily overcharging (or overfilling the oil). I'm not going back to a Honda dealer for anything other than warranty work -- I'm sure there are good dealers out there, but the one I bought my car from seems completely incompetent.

If there's a reason the oil capacity in my owner's manual is incorrect and 6 quarts is correct, please let me know. I'd love to be wrong about this.

This was my 2nd service, and each time I've been there the results have been poor. The first time they only checked tire pressure on the driver's side tires, and left the cover to the cabin air filter jammed INSIDE the filter housing requiring a pliers and some patience to remove. I found this out after feeling cold air coming from the glovebox, and slamming it open because they also failed to reconnect the strut that allows the glovebox door to open slowly. Each time they call to make sure I'm "completely satisfied" with the service, and when I relay the issues to them I'm told that they'd be glad to offer a free multipoint inspection for my trouble.
Write them a letter and send it certified to them and CC to Honda USA (or wherever you live). Post copies of the letter on social media.

Include copies of the invoice and the appropriate page in the manual when sending the letter and posting to social.

Then of course never go back as loudly as possible.

·
Super Moderator
12,781 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Write them a letter and send it certified to them and CC to Honda USA (or wherever you live). Post copies of the letter on social media.

Include copies of the invoice and the appropriate page in the manual when sending the letter and posting to social.

Dramatic much?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm not sure why the dealer would use 6 quarts of oil when the Owner's Manual says 5 quarts with oil and filter change for a 2.0T. Hopefully, they did actually change the filter. The extra cost is not a big deal, but the excess oil could cause engine problems. That would bother me to no end.

I also remember several 1.5T owners complaining that dealers where using 5 quarts when the Owner's Manual says 3.7 quarts. That is a troubling oversight.

One caveat is that the Owner's Manual does say 5 quarts is the "recommended" capacity. However, you might want to ask them why they used 6 quarts instead of the recommended 5 quarts.

Regardless, based on your experiences with the dealer, I would not trust them to do any other work on my car.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I assume you're being sarcastic. I'd rather just vote with my wallet and go somewhere else next time.

But if you were okay with the price going in, it shouldn't matter how many qts they list on receipt. At least it wouldn't to me.

It's like when someone complains that a dealer charged him/her a $500 doc fee for buying car. If you are okay with total OTD price, does it really matter what they list the fees as?

Simplified example: Would it make a difference if it was listed as (A) or as (B) or as (C)?

(A) $29,500.00 for car
$500.00 doc fee

(B) $29,999.00 for car
$1.00 doc fee

(C) $1.00 for car
$29,999.00 doc fee

End price is the same.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the example applies. If you had a detailed invoice that indicated that your car would've been 10% cheaper had they not erroneously charged you for a third row seat, would you just shrug and call it a day?

·
^^vv<><>BA
11,916 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the example applies. If you had a detailed invoice that indicated that your car would've been 10% cheaper had they not erroneously charged you for a third row seat, would you just shrug and call it a day?
Please clarify. When you asked for oil change price, what did they tell you, or what is their advertised price?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please clarify. When you asked for oil change price, what did they tell you, or what is their advertised price?
They told me what they charge. I said "ok" and signed the estimate before they did the work, because I wasn't going to try to haggle and I didn't have a coupon of any kind. Then they gave me the invoice and I paid it, and later glanced at the invoice and discovered that they charge each item separately. They list each item that adds up to the total -- oil filter, oil x 6 quarts @ $5ish per quart, washer, labor, shop fees, taxes.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get to here. Agreeing to a price doesn't mean I give up all critical thinking skills when they give me a receipt.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Please consider having a 5-minute phone conversation with the service adviser (service salesman) that starts with "Excuse me, the other day I was in your shop for an oil change and I noticed 6 quarts of oil on the itemized invoice while owner manual states 5. I was hoping you could help me understand." before alerting the United Nations Security Council.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It could be an internal accounting conspiracy where Service Dept is invoicing Parts Dept for an extra quart, and someone is helping themselves to some quality(!) motor oil 1 quart at a time. This has long con written all over it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Please consider having a 5-minute phone conversation with the service adviser (service salesman) that starts with "Excuse me, the other day I was in your shop for an oil change and I noticed 6 quarts of oil on the itemized invoice while owner manual states 5. I was hoping you could help me understand." before alerting the United Nations Security Council.
Read my original post -- all I asked for was clarification regarding oil capacity so I could be informed when I made that call, or at least know I was accurate that I was being overcharged. The rest of my input on this thread is direct response to questions.

Thanks for your input, I guess.

It could be an internal accounting conspiracy where Service Dept is invoicing Parts Dept for an extra quart, and someone is helping themselves to some quality(!) motor oil 1 quart at a time. This has long con written all over it.
I know you're just being hilarious, but if they're successfully overcharging each oil change customer by 1 quart, that's a nice haul over the course of a year or two.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts