Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got an oil change today, and noticed that the dealer charged for 6 quarts of oil. The capacity of the 2.0T is 5 quarts w/filter change per page 699 of the owner's manual, so it looks like they're just arbitrarily overcharging (or overfilling the oil). I'm not going back to a Honda dealer for anything other than warranty work -- I'm sure there are good dealers out there, but the one I bought my car from seems completely incompetent.

If there's a reason the oil capacity in my owner's manual is incorrect and 6 quarts is correct, please let me know. I'd love to be wrong about this.

This was my 2nd service, and each time I've been there the results have been poor. The first time they only checked tire pressure on the driver's side tires, and left the cover to the cabin air filter jammed INSIDE the filter housing requiring a pliers and some patience to remove. I found this out after feeling cold air coming from the glovebox, and slamming it open because they also failed to reconnect the strut that allows the glovebox door to open slowly. Each time they call to make sure I'm "completely satisfied" with the service, and when I relay the issues to them I'm told that they'd be glad to offer a free multipoint inspection for my trouble.

tl/dr: Honda service sucks
Personally I would never go back to that dealer again. Service problems is why I do nearly all regular maintenance on my cars and only take it in for warranty work. I've also learned to thoroughly inspect my car before leaving their parking lot. About fifty percent of the time I find something wrong like missing parts or incorrectly installed parts. Nobody is going to take better care of your car than you will. I also use nothing but full synthetic oil. It cost more up front but its better and is actually cheaper in the long run than a synthetic blend.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
@namesgohere, IMO, your are grasping at straws now to make a point by introducing elements that have noting to do with the OP's dilemma. I'll assume Honda knows it oil capacities with and without filters and you can;t add more than the max amount without overfilling. What's the point of the manual then? My problem is with the way the bill was written and your problem with me is that I can't get past the fact that if a price is predetermined, it doesn't matter what the bill says. It's at a stalemate and yes, I have been doing my own oil changes since 1982 and have had capacity variances with Hondas but that's my problem as I don't drain oil on a lift.

To introduce other elements. Say for example that you get an estimate to have your house painted and they say 20 gallons of white paint and labor for 5k. Then when the job is complete you see that there are only 15 empty paint cans you would be ok with that? If you are then I am beating a dead horse here and apologize.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just changed my 2.0T and it took almost 5.5 quarts. I changed it on car ramps so the front end of the car is up in the air. The drain plug is facing the back of the car. I assume that is why I got more than 5 quarts out. I can see why the dealer charged for 6 quarts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
isn't the extra quart usually that goes into the oil filter . so they may have had to fill it more to top it off why the extra quart was charged or the tech overfilled it or spilled some . I would check your oil to make sure they didn't over fill it .

·
Registered
865 Posts
isn't the extra quart usually that goes into the oil filter . so they may have had to fill it more to top it off why the extra quart was charged or the tech overfilled it or spilled some . I would check your oil to make sure they didn't over fill it .
The manual is clear on how much oil is needed to fill w/o changing the filter and when also changing the filter.
For example, page 703 of the fine manual (2019) tells one that the 2L engine needs:
4.4L [ 4.6 US QTS]
4.8L [ 5.0 US QTS] with the oil filter.

That is to say that the filter holds about 0.4L [0.4 QTS] of oil.
(Numerical discrepancies because a litre is only slightly larger than a US quart)

I just changed my 2.0T and it took almost 5.5 quarts. I changed it on car ramps so the front end of the car is up in the air. The drain plug is facing the back of the car. I assume that is why I got more than 5 quarts out. I can see why the dealer charged for 6 quarts.
Reading the dipstick too soon after filling?

The dipstick on the new Accord is a PITA to read with new oil in there. IAC, wait a few minutes, with the car level, to read the stick... I'll probably drill some holes in the dipstick orange plastic one of these days ...

@namesgohere, IMO, your are grasping at straws now to make a point by introducing elements that have noting to do with the OP's dilemma. I'll assume Honda knows it oil capacities with and without filters and you can;t add more than the max amount without overfilling. What's the point of the manual then? My problem is with the way the bill was written and your problem with me is that I can't get past the fact that if a price is predetermined, it doesn't matter what the bill says. It's at a stalemate and yes, I have been doing my own oil changes since 1982 and have had capacity variances with Hondas but that's my problem as I don't drain oil on a lift.

To introduce other elements. Say for example that you get an estimate to have your house painted and they say 20 gallons of white paint and labor for 5k. Then when the job is complete you see that there are only 15 empty paint cans you would be ok with that? If you are then I am beating a dead horse here and apologize.
In contracting practice when there is large material balance the contractor is usually bound to return unopened products to the supplier and credit the client (minus whatever fees come up if applicable). This goes to the contractor having to estimate correctly.

For example you can't return a cut 2x4 to Home Depot, but you can return the full lengths.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
I’ll ask again - did OP call the service department and ask for an explanation?
Sorry I didn't respond to you quickly enough. I guess I forgot that I was on your payroll.

The dealer's customer satisfaction person followed up to make sure I would give them a perfect score on the survey. Oh, and also to see how the service went. It turns out that explaining that you're not thrilled (and why) results in not receiving a survey. No other action will be taken.

My purpose for the original post was to make sure there isn't a reason 6 quarts would be used. The rest of the wall of text has been others wanting to have much broader discussions, and me going into ridiculous detail to try to end a meaningless debate.

Carry on, but from this point forward, it's all yours.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm under no obligation to tell you anything unless I feel like it. That's true even if you feel entitled to an answer.
No obligation. But in forums I feel that whoever opens a subject 'owns it' and has a responsibility to its care and feeding even if one doesn't like the product...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Why won’t you say if you called and asked about the discrepancy? Failing to answer only makes it seem like you’re giving us your half of the story for a certain reason. You don’t have to answer, but you’re the one who started a thread for something you could have just called and asked about. You clearly know the quantity of oil needed for this car so you made this thread for what reason?

·
Registered
73 Posts
No obligation. But in forums I feel that whoever opens a subject 'owns it' and has a responsibility to its care and feeding even if one doesn't like the product...
@2018TwoPointOh This is very true and is the danger of posting a rant on forum where a lot of guys like to bust bearings. Now this thread is probably more irritating than the 6 quart receipt?

But this is something that I could get irritated about (it doesn't take much)...I try not to write anything down when I'm in a mood like that. First thing to check would be to make sure the crankcase is not overfilled. Second thing would be to see if they added the charge for another quart to the bill. If not there's really not much of an issue but it's easy to see that this could cause upset especially with past bad experience with dealers. I avoid dealers like the plague.

Maybe they gave you a free extra quart but spilled it...;)...maybe it would help to talk to the service adviser and see if there is a reasonable explanation for the discrepancy just to put your mind at ease. Or maybe he'll say something stupid and help you make your case...either way it's a win-win...you owe me 2 cents... :)

61 - 69 of 69 Posts