Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my '13 Honda Accord Sport a couple months ago. It has a manual transmission. Anyone else feel that the gear box is a bit knotchy?

·
PLATINUM PLAYER
82 Posts
hmm no it's pretty smooth for a Honda

nothing like my Audi but pretty acceptable for a Honda

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thing is, I test drove it at another dealer before buying the one I had. Mine had 50 miles on it when I bought it, and I only drove it around the parking lot so my wife could see it. Is it possible that whomever drove it for 50 miles might have screwed the tranny or gear box? My previous car was an Acura RSX Type-S, and it too was knotchy when shifting. Maybe it's just Honda's manual tranny's? I've been driving manual cars since 1995, but I've been pretty annoyed with the way my two most recent cars shift.

hmm no it's pretty smooth for a Honda

nothing like my Audi but pretty acceptable for a Honda
It feels smooth for the most part, but knotchy here and there. It's only with the first 3 gears. No problems whatsoever with the higher gears. My Acura had the same problem with 1st and 3rd gear.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's not THAT notchy.. I feel it most often going to 3rd and 5th..not as smooth as my 94 Civic from back in the day but nothing major, imo. Maybe it's my driving?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Two things:

First: here's what Car & Driver just said about their long term 6MT Sport:

"It is among the best manual transmissions extant, with short throws, direct paths between the gears, and a fluidity to the shifts that not only makes us happy each and every time we have reason to exercise the clutch, but also reveals the secret genius of the Accord."

Second: what's wrong with first gear? You certainly can't be putting it back in there before you're stopped, can you?

I'm guessing you need to take it in for service or reexamine your technique.

PS I miss Dirk Kuyt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two things:

First: here's what Car & Driver just said about their long term 6MT Sport:

"It is among the best manual transmissions extant, with short throws, direct paths between the gears, and a fluidity to the shifts that not only makes us happy each and every time we have reason to exercise the clutch, but also reveals the secret genius of the Accord."

Second: what's wrong with first gear? You certainly can't be putting it back in there before you're stopped, can you?

I'm guessing you need to take it in for service or reexamine your technique.

PS I miss Dirk Kuyt.
Definitely don't put it into first until completely stopped. I guess I'll have service take a look at it, because I most certainly don't agree with the C&D review. Appreciate your input.

P.S. - Kuyt plays for the enemy, so I'm not a fan :)

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Mine is anything but knotchy. I have let several people drive my EX and they were amazed by the shifter.

Jay

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
Mine is a bit knotchy but it doesn't take effort to put it in gear. Isn't this considered "positive engagement"?

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
I'm just wondering who decided "notchy" needed a silent k in front of it. Seems to have kaught on though. Lol
Damnit I did it subconsciously after seeing it in the first post. I guess my brain thought it looked right.

·
Registered
68 Posts
'14 sport here, best shifter i've ever driven. Even brand new its super slick. It should wear in over time. No offence but i'm wondering if you just need to get more used to the car?

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
My 6MT can be a little notchy, especially at low rpm. Unfortunately one shift technique does not work for all shifts. For a notch-free, 2,200 rpm, light-throttle shift, I need to back off the throttle a little sooner before I depress the clutch in order to relieve the stress on the drivetrain and I must also use a slower shift speed - but still match rev. For a medium-throttle, 3,500+rpm shift point I need a faster shift rhythm for smoothness. It depends on load and rpm. Try experimenting with different shift rhythms based on the shift point and rates of acceleration. That may help.

FWIW, a few cars prior to my 2007 6-6 Sedan I had an RSX-S too. Fun car!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Definitely don't put it into first until completely stopped. I guess I'll have service take a look at it, because I most certainly don't agree with the C&D review. Appreciate your input.

P.S. - Kuyt plays for the enemy, so I'm not a fan :)
What's wrong with putting it into first before you've stopped? If I'm rolling slowly (too slow to start in second), it's easier to get the car moving by shifting to first, rev matching, and accelerating. It shifts into first smoothly while rolling.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the shifter can be notchy at times. i recently test drove a 2013 SI and that gearbox is 10x "notchier." the accord sports 6mt is one of the smoothest imo.

·
Registered
916 Posts
My Accord 6MT EX is the smoothest stick I have ever driven and I have driven many over the last 35 years.

In comparison my Miata (widely considered to have one of the best shifters) feels notchy. The Accord feels extremely smooth.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The stock shifter has a short throw... LOL

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead- have got 2700 km's on my '15 Sport and I've noticed the shift getting progressively 'notchier'- previously it was literally like switching a light switch. So not sure here what the solution is- lube at the shifter ot perhaps the trans is low on fluid- haven't noticed any oil slicks.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts