Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
08 Coupe EX-L 6-6
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took in my '08 Accord Coupe 6-6 to the dealer for some work to take care of a couple TSB issues that should be covered under the Honda Certified warranty (transferred from the previous owner after a private sale) which covers the powertrain for 6 years/100k.

They are covering the 3rd gear pop (TSB 08-020), but are saying that the engine knock/tick at idle (TSB 08-017) is not covered because its an "adjustment" as opposed to a part failure. Has anyone else had their J35Z2/3 covered under the certified warranty for this issue? They are quoting me $957 which seems excessive for a new intake manifold gasket and re-torquing the rocker shaft bolts (the TSB says 2.7 hours, when I brought that up they said it would be about 4 hours of work).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your Certified warranty, if it was an actual Honda Certified Pre-owned.
The powertrain coverage only covers mechanical failures in hard items.
Engine oil leaks, transmission fluid leaks, driveshafts, etc.
The bulletin you posted (08-017, Engine Knocks or Ticks at Idle) states:
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Loosen and retorque the rocker shaft bridge bolts.

First step is to have the C.U.C (certified used car) coverage swapped to your name if possible.

It's not like your factory warranty that covers bumper to bumper on any kind of defective item.

The 2.7 labor is to pay the tech straight warranty time. When a customer is to pay, thats when the labor goes up anywhere from 40-80% of warranty time.
If Honda were to pay one of their dealers, it would only be 2.7

Basically the bulletin to correct the concern you are experiencing is to "adjust." The dealer is recommending to replace the gasket since they are there. Which is the better route.

·
08 Coupe EX-L 6-6
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I did have the certified used car warranty switched to my name which is why they're doing the transmission work to fix the third gear (at least that was covered... I can't imagine how much they'd charge to do that out of warranty!). I just figured that since the ticking is a known issue and the engine is part of the powertrain that it would be covered under the CUC coverage.

I'll get a detailed quote for the engine work after I pick up my car just to see exactly what they're charging for, but I'll probably just end up doing it myself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did have the certified used car warranty switched to my name which is why they're doing the transmission work to fix the third gear (at least that was covered... I can't imagine how much they'd charge to do that out of warranty!). I just figured that since the ticking is a known issue and the engine is part of the powertrain that it would be covered under the CUC coverage.

I'll get a detailed quote for the engine work after I pick up my car just to see exactly what they're charging for, but I'll probably just end up doing it myself.
I had the 3rd gear issue in a 05 6-6 I owned a few years ago. It cost $1,800 to fix. I complained to Honda because the car only had 38k miles. They paid $600 when I could prove I was a loyal customer. I owned a Honda jet ski at the time and a Honda Generator. Had to fax over the purchase orders on both before they would pay the dealership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.