Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the 2015 Honda Accord coupe. I negotiated the remote engine starter 2 system into the deal.

As it has been noted the system is poorly designed. Unlocking the doors kills the engine and the remote starter fob is incompatible with push to star. So you have to carry 2 fobs.

I was speaking with the tech that installed the system and he said he was unaware of any way to override the unlock/engine kill feature. Has anyone figured out how to do this?

He also says that if I swap the transmitters inside the fobs, the remote starter fob would then be compatible with push to start. Can anyone confirm this? I hate carrying 2 fobs for 1 car. I opened both fobs and this doesnt appear to as simple of a task as the tech described.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
870 Posts
Not possible, u will damage 1 if not both fobs in the process. The engine kill is a safety feature, u dont want some randon person breaking in ur car and driving away with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not possible, u will damage 1 if not both fobs in the process. The engine kill is a safety feature, u dont want some randon person breaking in ur car and driving away with it.
Honda seems to be the only manufacturer of remote starters in the world with this completely dysfunctional feature. I don't see disabling it as a theft danger at all. It's simply poor design. I never would have gotten it had I known.

Do you know this to be impossible, or are you just saying you don't think I could do it without breaking the fobs? I have no problem paying someone to do it, if it is feasible.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Honda seems to be the only manufacturer of remote starters in the world with this completely dysfunctional feature. I don't see disabling it as a theft danger at all. It's simply poor design. I never would have gotten it had I known.

Do you know this to be impossible, or are you just saying you don't think I could do it without breaking the fobs? I have to problem paying someone to do it, if it is feasible.
No. A lot of manufactures do it. I know that Toyota/Lexus also do it. It is a very annoying "feature", which is one advantage of going with an aftermarket remote start. So, were you unaware of this when you had the remote start installed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's my first remote starter. It never occurred to me that anyone would incorporate such a 'feature' into a remote starter. It's my fault for not looking into it, at least they threw it in as a selling point. I've driven several cars with remote starters and I've never come across it before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there an after market option out there without this 'feature' that is compatible with push to start? All the options I've looked at(so far) still require a Honda fob for push to start.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the post and everyone's imput.

I bought a remote starter for my wife's Expedition and its one FOB and its great.

I had no idea that Honda OEM was two remotes!? WTH?

So looks like aftermarket is the way I will go with the remote start!! Is there a aftermarket remote start that someone has found works better than others with the 9th Gen accords?

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
870 Posts
Compustart drone mobile uses your cell but you still have to use ur honda fob to get in, start ur car and the feature is remote start by double or triple clicking the lock.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
No. A lot of manufactures do it. I know that Toyota/Lexus also do it. It is a very annoying "feature", which is one advantage of going with an aftermarket remote start. So, were you unaware of this when you had the remote start installed?
For sure. My mom, along with a few other friends and family members have/had the Avital system (the one-way model.. 403 or 4303 whatever it is) in their cars, and it doesn't kill the engine when the doors are unlocked, only when someone tries to put the car in gear without the key in the ignition turned to II (brake pedal solenoid switch is essentially the "kill switch" when the key isn't in the ignition).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts