Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble deciding. Not trying to see which one is better than the other, know both are very reputable. Just trying to get others experiences and why they went with what.

I have the 10auto. At the moment I’m leaning towards Ktuner because of the “option” to run stage two. Also From what I’ve read they’ve limited torque down low, which I would prefer with the auto. Probably would run stage one majority of the time, but again nice to have the option.

I’m sure that Hondata Will eventually come out with some sort of stage2 for the 10 auto.
Do like the Bluetooth for apple. Anyway, any input would be great to help make a decision

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

·
0 Posts
Can't speak from personal experience in an Accord, but I have tuned my Civic Si in the past (8th gen, the last of the high revvers)...

As someone who doesn't want to blow up their engine, I'd always use Hondata. They are conservative in their base maps. In a turbo car like this, a lot of people will have the ECU tune as the sole performance mod. I just trust them.

I can't say anything bad about KTuner, but I trust what I know and I've never read a single thread of anyone blaming Hondata for blowing their engine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2.0 touring and went with Hondata.
I’m new to the Honda platform and new to tuning. I did an intensive search and found Hondata to meet my personal specs regarding my concerns. I’ve had the opportunity to meet Doug from Hondata thus decreasing my worries about his product. Meaning he was able to answer my many many many questions with direct answers that have given me a better understanding of Honda engines and their tuning. I’m running his stage 1 and it’s great! I wanted a plug and play tune that’s reliable with a measurable amount of increase in power. I don’t want crazy power because I’m gonna be keeping my Accord for a long time so I need it to last. Their tunes are conservative and safe. I’ve also not found/heard anyone blow up their engine or tranny with their tunes. Seeing how Hondata works with Honda and their dealers increased my nervousness to tune my 2000 mile new accord. That’s my 2 cents. I’ll keep updating regarding my tune as I drive 30k miles a year. I also like the app and their customer service is great which is a gripe of mine.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Either one will give you great results, you can't really go wrong whichever decision you make...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would agree there are some fan boys on both ends of the spectrum of this. I have never tuned a car in my life but Hondata is the only one I heard about before I bought my car. I have had previous Honda's but then I switched over to Subaru for about 4 years.

That being said, I have had my Hondata Flashpro for a few weeks now and I really do like it. I have a 6 speed 2.0t and I can tell you it is a night and day difference when you put this tune on. I was not expecting to be so blown away by what this one modification could do. They have so many options you can do with your car via custom mapping. You can choose when VTEC kicks in, 2 step, full throttle shifting.

It is very easy to upload onto your vehicle with a laptop and does not take much time at all. You can leave the Flash Pro plugged into your car while you drive to monitor all numbers and ratios ie. A/F ratios, boost pressure (Not shown on M/T cars), etc. This is done through their app on IPhone or Android. This app will also show any fault codes that may come up and what the issue is. The app also shows shift points, when you are in VTEC and what gear you are in.

I am sure they will be coming up with more maps for the automatic transmission, they are just worried about over heating. The M/T they just have to worry about clutch slipping.

I hope this helps in some way in your choice

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just to add...the fact that Hondata is saying no to adding more tq to AT hints at their level or professionalism and care. I know I know it’s up to the user but I’m just saying it gives me assurance that they’re responsible. (It may sound I’m thrashing ktuner and their dicisions but I’m not I have nothing negative to say about them as I’ve never delt with them nor used their products just my opinion)

·
Vendor
157 Posts
Testing

Either one will give you great results, you can't really go wrong whichever decision you make...
Here's our offer to you. Rather than rely on other people's opinions, test it out for yourself. Give us a call when you get your car, and we'll loan you a test FlashPro to test.

I’m sure that Hondata Will eventually come out with some sort of stage2 for the 10 auto.
We're going to do better than that. In a future update, we will allow the AT to be tuned as extensively as the MT. Look out for the tech article. Fire any questions our way and we will do our best to answer as quickly as we can. I am out of the country until March 1st, so my replies will not be immediate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2.0 touring and went with Hondata.
I’m new to the Honda platform and new to tuning. I did an intensive search and found Hondata to meet my personal specs regarding my concerns. I’ve had the opportunity to meet Doug from Hondata thus decreasing my worries about his product. Meaning he was able to answer my many many many questions with direct answers that have given me a better understanding of Honda engines and their tuning. I’m running his stage 1 and it’s great! I wanted a plug and play tune that’s reliable with a measurable amount of increase in power. I don’t want crazy power because I’m gonna be keeping my Accord for a long time so I need it to last. Their tunes are conservative and safe. I’ve also not found/heard anyone blow up their engine or tranny with their tunes. Seeing how Hondata works with Honda and their dealers increased my nervousness to tune my 2000 mile new accord. That’s my 2 cents. I’ll keep updating regarding my tune as I drive 30k miles a year. I also like the app and their customer service is great which is a gripe of mine.

I’m interested in hearing how it goes for you. I’m new to Honda as well. I still have my 1995 trans am with bolt ons (can run 13.2 in the quarter mile) and recently came from two Volkswagen TDI’s. I drive around 30,000 per year so we are in similar positions. I’m interested in learning about tunes and performance but I’m not going to be all about it. I need good highway performance but I’m curious as to what tunes can offer, at what fuel expense, and how easy it is to flip between the two. A software only tune that can achieve these kind of results is awesome to me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just to add...the fact that Hondata is saying no to adding more tq to AT hints at their level or professionalism and care. I know I know it’s up to the user but I’m just saying it gives me assurance that they’re responsible. (It may sound I’m thrashing ktuner and their dicisions but I’m not I have nothing negative to say about them as I’ve never delt with them nor used their products just my opinion)
Ktuner delays the torque on the stage 2 tune to minimize stress on the trans, I’m noy engineer but they aren’t reckless flashing 10 speed cars with a stage 2

·
Vendor
157 Posts
The Hondata tunes for the Accord do not affect the fuel flow control at idle. The fueling for cruise conditions do not change either. What does change is the fueling for acceleration in which more boost is being commanded.

The most scientific way is to measure the fuel consumption over the same distances in the same environmental conditions. For example a headwind can make quite a difference. I am sure there are people who have tested these tunes on the road in their Accords that will chime in.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ktuner delays the torque on the stage 2 tune to minimize stress on the trans, I’m noy engineer but they aren’t reckless flashing 10 speed cars with a stage 2
Delaying or not ~370 tq is still being put on tranny. Wouldn’t that still put the stress in some gears?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The most scientific way is to measure the fuel consumption over the same distances in the same environmental conditions. For example a headwind can make quite a difference. I am sure there are people who have tested these tunes on the road in their Accords that will chime in.

Yes you are correct that is the _most_ scientific way to test - under controlled conditions. This is why dynos are a great way to measure performance numbers.

Considering we (general end user) can’t test a vehicle in a controlled dome environment, the impact of a tune to one person with the same overall driving habits, commute, etc is a good test that will have some “Kentucky windage” to it.

My posts are not to flame or instigate but to look for some insight and knowledge into your product. I’m intrigued by it and for me, that is saying a lot. I appreciate the numbers you displayed and I like the usable torque range. I am wondering the impact on fuel economy as well as 1/4 mile times before I were to consider purchasing. I’m not a big track person but they give me a reference for what the seat of the pants feel will be like.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Having trouble deciding. Not trying to see which one is better than the other, know both are very reputable. Just trying to get others experiences and why they went with what.

I have the 10auto. At the moment I’m leaning towards Ktuner because of the “option” to run stage two. Also From what I’ve read they’ve limited torque down low, which I would prefer with the auto. Probably would run stage one majority of the time, but again nice to have the option.

Do like the Bluetooth for apple. Anyway, any input would be great to help make a decision

Thanks
The reason I chose Hondata is because I'm not looking to squeeze every single HP out of the engine. I just want some extra oomph during highway passing, and you get that with an extra 50 lbft @3k rpm with the stage 1. If a stage 2 comes out for the 10AT, great but I'm happy with the stage 1. I can't imagine what an extra 100lbft would feel like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Delaying or not ~370 tq is still being put on tranny. Wouldn’t that still put the stress in some gears?
Not nearly as much as Hard launches would, think of it like this you always see cars break drive lines from Hard accelerations from a stop like on a drag strip. Not nearly as much well rolling, the biggest issue would be over heating the trans but data logging should give more insight into how these trans handle the extra power. Without the tune being out for people to use it would take longer to get data back.

·
Vendor
157 Posts
I have data on the transmission temperatures to share recorded yesterday. I'm out of the country for a couple of weeks and will post an article early March.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really like that Hondata posts here and offers a lot of information to the community. This makes it easier to reach them for help, feedback or possibly custom work! In addition they do respond by email in a normal timely manner.

Once your car is started after flash you will feel proud you did it yourself and at ease as the engine comes to life and behaves the same but with a lot more acceleration. Oh...don't activate the scramble button unless you are prepared to smile big. OMG, Holey Moley, oh $#*t, and Dammmmmn will be the next 4 words out of your mouth...

The only thing left to figure out will be where to mount the free included HONDATA sticker!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts