Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Vendor
157 Posts
MT owners, rejoice. You will now have the Hondata Stage 3 available Monday for extra excitement. Here's what to look forward to. More boost is brought in earlier for extremely rapid and razor sharp throttle response.

If the excitement is too much - just press the Eco button - and you are back to stock.

These graphs compare:
Stage 1; red line 20 psi. 334 torque 280 HP
Stage 2; blue line 25 psi. 370 torque 290 HP
Stage 3; pink line 26 psi. 375 torque 290 HP

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
So why is stage 3 only a 1 psi difference and 5lb/ft? I'm interested in a 30psi map if you wanna throw one at me to "test" :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Will this update come with 2 step and full throttle shifting?

Reactions: smurffox

·
Vendor
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So why is stage 3 only a 1 psi difference and 5lb/ft?
Dont look at the peak numbers. Look at the area under the curve, which is greater for stage 3 tune under 3500 rpm.

More boost is easy for you to add. When we ran higher boost there was a little knock though. We'll write up that process and post here early next week.

However, more boost does not always mean more power. Often we have made more top end power by reducing boost. This is because of several reasons:
- The turbo is operating outside it's efficiency range (heating the air rather than moving more air)
- The turbo is over-speeding
- Backpressure is increasing, causing pumping losses and knock

These calibrations are designed to run well on California 91 Octane. When you run a higher octane fuel the knock Control will reduce and the ignition timing increase. This can increase power.

Launch control is on the to do list.

·
3rd honda, first obdII
28 Posts
So why is stage 3 only a 1 psi difference and 5lb/ft?
Dont look at the peak numbers. Look at the area under the curve, which is greater for stage 3 tune under 3500 rpm.

More boost is easy for you to add. When we ran higher boost there was a little knock though. We'll write up that process and post here early next week.

However, more boost does not always mean more power. Often we have made more top end power by reducing boost. This is because of several reasons:
- The turbo is operating outside it's efficiency range (heating the air rather than moving more air)
- The turbo is over-speeding
- Backpressure is increasing, causing pumping losses and knock

These calibrations are designed to run well on California 91 Octane. When you run a higher octane fuel the knock Control will reduce and the ignition timing increase. This can increase power.

Launch control is on the to do list.

but to clarify, even at stage 3 running cali 91 (me) is there any issue of knock or is that the threshold? should i run stage 2 and tweak if its going to be a daily 90% of the time?

·
Vendor
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Knock is not a threshold, but more a level depending on the amount and type of noise the Knock sensor picks up. Knock control at 54-55% is about as low as it will go. Our stage three tune recorded Knock control between 58 and 62% on the dyno which is very very good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You’ve done the dyno and posted the charts. I was wondering if anyone has 1/4 mile results to sow the difference: stock, stage 1, 2, and 3?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I tried to upload the Stage 3 this morning and run it and I'm not sure if stage 3 is flawed or my car didn't take the tune.

Reason I say that is the car felt stock in both normal and eco mode. Then when I pressed RES+ I got the extra power like the Stage 2 used too. Not only that but getting turbo surge as well.

The new tunes are supposed to be working in normal mode now, and when you go into ECO mode it returns to your stock map. But this isn't happening for me. It's working as the Stage 2 beta did.

I've used Flashpro on my last 2 cars so I know I didn't make an error with the upload. I went to calibrations, selected 2018+ accord. Selected 6mt and the Stage 3 tune. Normally at the top of the screen in the Flashpro menu it will state what calibration you are running for example ( Flashpro stage 2) but when I selected the Stage 3 it said (untitled). Not sure what thats about but it acted like it took the flash when I uploaded to my car. Waiting to hear back from Hondata now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I tried to upload the Stage 3 this morning and run it and I'm not sure if stage 3 is flawed or my car didn't take the tune.

Reason I say that is the car felt stock in both normal and eco mode. Then when I pressed RES+ I got the extra power like the Stage 2 used too. Not only that but getting turbo surge as well.

The new tunes are supposed to be working in normal mode now, and when you go into ECO mode it returns to your stock map. But this isn't happening for me. It's working as the Stage 2 beta did.

I've used Flashpro on my last 2 cars so I know I didn't make an error with the upload. I went to calibrations, selected 2018+ accord. Selected 6mt and the Stage 3 tune. Normally at the top of the screen in the Flashpro menu it will state what calibration you are running for example ( Flashpro stage 2) but when I selected the Stage 3 it said (untitled). Not sure what thats about but it acted like it took the flash when I uploaded to my car. Waiting to hear back from Hondata now.
I did the stage 2 non CARB because I was not certain on the +9PSI shown and the scrambler button on stage 3. Works perfect with no more surging issue! I did not have any issue uploading it last night either, worked as usual.

Surging issue from Beta is completely gone and is running like a charm. I did have some questions on Stage 3 as well so I did not upload it. I did not know if they were running stock and normal ECO with a scrambler to stage 3 or what was happening. I would like to have 3 tunes on there ie. ECO - Stock/Stage1, Normal mode - Stage 2, RES+ - Stage 3.

I suggest uploading the Stage 2 non Carb at this time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
@Hondata you find anything out?

Well I found out that scramble mode is when you press the RES+ button. But when you do that it raises your boost limits to the max. My question is it tuned for that? And is it safe to Use?

My biggest issue is it feels like I'm getting boost surge when using scramble mode. Turbo flutter sounds nice though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
@Hondata you find anything out?

Well I found out that scramble mode is when you press the RES+ button. But when you do that it raises your boost limits to the max. My question is it tuned for that? And is it safe to Use?

My biggest issue is it feels like I'm getting boost surge when using scramble mode. Turbo flutter sounds nice though.
I'm not too sure if you got any update from Matt at Hondata but I hope this helps:

"The stage 3 has +3-4 PSI in normal mode and when Scramble boost is enabled you make +9psi. This is not meant to be driven on long term or left in scramble mode. This is just for a little extra boost when you need it for a short time."

I guess they are going for the stage 1 in regular mode and you can only switch over to stage 3 with the scramble button. That might be why you're having the surging issue at about 50% throttle - its only meant to be used at full throttle for short time.

I am still running the stage 2 and I don't want to stop driving the car. I am extremely happy with the stage 2 power band. I caught myself going a "little" over the speed limits last night on the highway :grin ... I just cannot wait for this Canadian weather goes away so I can really enjoy it!

I really don't see myself using stage 3 unless I could be running the tune full time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not too sure if you got any update from Matt at Hondata but I hope this helps:

"The stage 3 has +3-4 PSI in normal mode and when Scramble boost is enabled you make +9psi. This is not meant to be driven on long term or left in scramble mode. This is just for a little extra boost when you need it for a short time."

I guess they are going for the stage 1 in regular mode and you can only switch over to stage 3 with the scramble button. That might be why you're having the surging issue at about 50% throttle - its only meant to be used at full throttle for short time.

I am still running the stage 2 and I don't want to stop driving the car. I am extremely happy with the stage 2 power band. I caught myself going a "little" over the speed limits last night on the highway :grin ... I just cannot wait for this Canadian weather goes away so I can really enjoy it!

I really don't see myself using stage 3 unless I could be running the tune full time.
I guess I got used to the Stage 2 surging and making crazy power because I can't notice much difference in stage 2 compared to stock when I swap between eco and stage 2. And I reloaded the stage 3 today to play around with it on the normal setting and I'm still not noticing much difference. I guess that's where I just have to trust it's doing as it says until I can get a custom tune. That's the only way I think I'll really be happy anyways :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm enjoying stage 3 but not using scramble...kinda sucks it won't stop raining but it's driving very well keeping boost under 5 psi without any hassle. It's been since Sunday!

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I just ordered my FlashPro. Does it come with a user manual? You guys are kinda freakin me out with all the combinations of Stage 1-3, scramble mode, Econ...

How do you set all this stuff up?

Is it easy to shift from one stage to another?

Cant wait to try it out!!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts