Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these accessories work or just more for looks? Looks are a matter of taste, but if they work I'd consider installing them.

Hood deflector,
Does this really reduce hood chips from rocks? I don't know some aerodynamics causing the rock to fly over the hood? Or do they just cover the part of the hood most likely to get hit by rocks? Seems like a pain to clean under and I would think dirt, sand and etc would get trapped under there making matter worse for the hood.

Sunroof Visor.
Does reduce the noise when the roof is open?

I've searched for this and really did not find anything conclusive, only some that love the look, but no real "hey it works!"

DarkHorseMBA

·
Registered
11 Posts
The purpose hood deflectors is to carry bugs up and over the roof instead of directly across the hood and into the windshield. They are mainly for 18 wheelers.Imo they are ugly and would never put one on my car. All the ones I have seen you have to screw into your hood.

The purpose sunroof deflectors just remove the airflow that you open your sun/moonroof for basically and are also ugly imo and also destroy the paint.

The only deflector that's somewhat useful are window ones.

·
Reverse Gear
999 Posts
We have 2 9th gen accords. The 1 without the sunroof visor is loud with tons of airflow on the highway. The one with the visor is almost silent. I like quiet, so I wouldn't ever use my sunroof without the visor. I do agree that the Honda visor takes away from the car's looks though. It's very tall compared to other sunroof visors I've seen. Weathertech makes a nicer looking one in my opinion, and if I could do it all over, I'd go that route.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The purpose hood deflectors is to carry bugs up and over the roof instead of directly across the hood and into the windshield. They are mainly for 18 wheelers.Imo they are ugly and would never put one on my car. All the ones I have seen you have to screw into your hood.

The purpose sunroof deflectors just remove the airflow that you open your sun/moonroof for basically and are also ugly imo and also destroy the paint.

The only deflector that's somewhat useful are window ones.
The windows ones remind me of when I was a teenager. I had them on my accord so I could smoke with the window cracked. Worked great for that.

No longer smoke so I don't see the point.

We have 2 9th gen accords. The 1 without the sunroof visor is loud with tons of airflow on the highway. The one with the visor is almost silent. I like quiet, so I wouldn't ever use my sunroof without the visor. I do agree that the Honda visor takes away from the car's looks though. It's very tall compared to other sunroof visors I've seen. Weathertech makes a nicer looking one in my opinion, and if I could do it all over, I'd go that route.
Thanks I'll look into that brand, and other low profile visors.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,885 Posts
I'd never have a car without a sunroof deflector. Without it the noise is deafening. I also like the way it looks, it adds another small layer to the roof, and it helps me locate the car in crowded parking lots.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Huh... I never even considered that advantage. I hate the way they look, but I may just have to pick one up anyway. Wonder if the Weathertech one works as well at noise dampening.

·
Reverse Gear
999 Posts
Huh... I never even considered that advantage. I hate the way they look, but I may just have to pick one up anyway. Wonder if the Weathertech one works as well at noise dampening.
One of the used cars I bought came with a sunroof visor. It was low profile, and it covered a little less of the sunroof than the Honda one and it certainly performed adequately. I can't compare the low profile one against the 9th gen Honda one because i owned that car in the 80's

·
Registered
288 Posts
Purchased a 3 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee. It came with a bug deflector. I took it off. The hood definitely needs a lot more attention these days. I may put it back

·
BC Open Road
11 Posts
We've been thinking about a hood deflector for our new 2017 Hybrid Touring, after a rock from a gravel truck. But, the Hybrid hood apparently has a different profile than the regular Accord and Honda does not make one for the Hybrid. Any thoughts on where to look?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts