Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just returned from a 1,500 mile round trip over the holidays. Our 2018 Accord EXL, 1.5L has noticeable hood flutter at highway speeds. By that I would describe it as a flexing up and down of the hood. Have others noticed this condition on the open road?
This is our 6th new Accord and don't recall this on prior generations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took delivery of Touring 2.0 last week and have seen this as well. I have a black one and notice it at the 6-8” in point near the windshield. I wouldn’t say it moves that much. Maybe 1/8”, at 75mph.

·
Banned
438 Posts
probably a result of very thin sheet metal used on the hood...byproduct of corner cutting to save on materials...though OEM's would try to sell it to you as weight saving for performance and economy :wink

Reactions: avedant and Jmb8785

·
REV29K
556 Posts
I believe the hood flutter is a result of the hood being made of aluminum and not being thick enough. I don't have a new Accord yet but I noticed it on the test drive. I wonder if there could be some kind of support could be added. Seems to me Honda should address this issue, body panels should not be vibrating at speed.

Although this isn't the only car I've noticed the issue on, I've also seen it on both C6 & C7 Corvettes, cars costing 2x-3x the price of an Accord.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,737 Posts
Loosen the bumpers near the latch. If the hood doesn't latch anymore or the hood is not flush to the fenders then you've gone too far.

EDIT: By bumpers I mean the rubber knobs that the hood touches. On the 8G there are 4 of them. 2 are adjustable like screws, 2 are not. For the 2 that are not I used some foam tape to get the fit tighter to ensure the hood doesn't vibrate at 100+.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=447978

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Loosen the bumpers near the latch. If the hood doesn't latch anymore or the hood is not flush to the fenders then you've gone too far.

EDIT: By bumpers I mean the rubber knobs that the hood touches. On the 8G there are 4 of them. 2 are adjustable like screws, 2 are not. For the 2 that are not I used some foam tape to get the fit tighter to ensure the hood doesn't vibrate at 100+.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=447978
The flexing I saw was at the rear of the hood , just in front of the base of windshield, no bumpers there. Many car companies are designing hoods to give in pedestrian impacts, Honda may have went too far in this case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't believe the bumpers have anything to do with the problem, the aluminum hood is improperly reinforced on the underside and the thin material flexes. It is most noticeable nearer the windshield in the center

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,737 Posts
The flexing I saw was at the rear of the hood , just in front of the base of windshield, no bumpers there. Many car companies are designing hoods to give in pedestrian impacts, Honda may have went too far in this case.
If the hood isn't being supported on all of the 4 points then it's going to be more likely to flex and it might just be most visible near the windshield. If -and it's a big if- there's a design flaw it's not going to be resolved anytime soon so the fixes are first try the bumpers, then add some foam tape along the seam where the hood and the cowl contact: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacell-2-in-x-30-ft-R-1-Foam-Insulation-Tape-TAP18230/100539553

·
Registered
283 Posts
I noticed this a few days after purchasing the car. it flexes right in front of the driver steering wheel while driving. I look at the opposite side on the passenger side, and did not see any flex at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We just returned from a 1,500 mile round trip over the holidays. Our 2018 Accord EXL, 1.5L has noticeable hood flutter at highway speeds. By that I would describe it as a flexing up and down of the hood. Have others noticed this condition on the open road?
This is our 6th new Accord and don't recall this on prior generations.
I’ve had my 2018 Sport to the dealer twice for the same flutter without a fix. I have the black accord and it seems much more noticeable while driving with the glare.
There aren’t any adjustable bumpers or dampers on the 2018. The dealer took out 3-4 other 2018 on the lot, ALL with the same flutter over bumps and at the higher speeds. Conclusion is design flaw and have to wait for a service bulletin for a fix.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I’ve had my 2018 Sport to the dealer twice for the same flutter without a fix. I have the black accord and it seems much more noticeable while driving with the glare.
There aren’t any adjustable bumpers or dampers on the 2018. The dealer took out 3-4 other 2018 on the lot, ALL with the same flutter over bumps and at the higher speeds. Conclusion is design flaw and have to wait for a service bulletin for a fix.
is this a defect that would require a fix?

1 - 20 of 290 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.