Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· REV29K
555 Posts
I believe the hood flutter is a result of the hood being made of aluminum and not being thick enough. I don't have a new Accord yet but I noticed it on the test drive. I wonder if there could be some kind of support could be added. Seems to me Honda should address this issue, body panels should not be vibrating at speed.

Although this isn't the only car I've noticed the issue on, I've also seen it on both C6 & C7 Corvettes, cars costing 2x-3x the price of an Accord.

· REV29K
555 Posts
If owners bring this to Honda's attention, maybe they will formulate a fix. I'm already thinking about ways to stiffen the hood and I haven't even bought the car yet.

· REV29K
555 Posts
I'm sorry, but this is just BS. I've driven other cars with aluminum hoods, none of them had flutter or flexed noticeably at speed.
Same here, as a matter of fact I've got a 15 year old HONDA with an aluminum hood and it doesn't flutter at any speed, even when I'm on the track going 130+, this is a design issue that Honda needs to address. It could be a rigid plastic piece that attached to the underside of the hood, but it needs to be something that fixes the problem.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Thanks for the update, but I have to ask if you or anyone have any tips on how one can tell whether or not the dampers are/are not making contact as I'd like to make the adjustment as well. I don't want to raise them to high and cause them to dent/warp the hood.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
You could tape a piece of paper on the hood, when closing the hood, if the bumpers are touching, they should mark the paper.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Drove a 2L touring today that my dealer received a few days ago, no hood flutter, nice panel fitment and gaps too. I think Honda is on the issues as other accords there looked equally good also.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that mine looks as good as the one you saw when it arrives at the dealer lot next week. How fast did you drive it when looking for the hood flutter? Was it also a windy day to begin with? I would imagine cross winds have something to do with how noticeable the flutter is.

· REV29K
555 Posts
There are no custom orders with Honda. Dealers are sent allocation, if they don't have what you want on the lot, they can check the computer and see about two months out as to what models and what colors they will be getting. Otherwise they trade with another dealership to get the vehicle you want.

In my case the dealer had the color I wanted arriving in about two weeks, so I put down a deposit and am waiting for the truck to arrive.

· REV29K
555 Posts
I submitted a ticket online to Honda for the hood flutter issue. The response I got was to log the problem with the dealer, so next time I'm in I will ask them to follow up with the ticket number and officially log the problem in their system.

This is basically my ONLY complaint with the new car. At times the hood flutters at idle and on the highway. In the meantime, I applied a couple die cut silicone foam pads right where the rear gasket meets with the hood. If you push on that gasket, you will notice there are three places where the gasket is stiffer, and doesn't compress as much. That's where I applied the die cut pads to the hood. Doing so, has reduced the hood flutter considerably.

· REV29K
555 Posts
I seriously doubt any of the hood flutter is going to cause paint problems, metal fatigue, or latch failure, it's not that serious, just a minor annoyance. Yes, the hood is aluminum (or aluminium if you are from the UK).

· REV29K
555 Posts
Made an appointment for the dealer to log the hood flutter on my car with Honda. I know they won't do anything about it at the dealer, but maybe if more people log a ticket about the issue, Honda will come out with a fix like they did for the Pilot.

After 30+ days of ownership, I'm happy to report the only real issue I have with the car is the hood flutter. I do have one other minor annoyance with the wiper blades, they are noisy and there is a dead spot on the glass that the wipers don't work very well. I've tried cleaning the glass with alcohol and also with vinegar a couple of times. It helped some but it's still a bit of an issue.

Maybe the dealer will replace the wiper blades or clean the windshield with something else that corrects my complaint.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Good to hear of someone with only a few minor issues. Too often forums like this are filled with tales of woe (which is understandable). At the end of the day these new Accords seem like pretty solid cars.
I'd estimate for every one person who logs onto a forum and complains about something with their car, there's a thousand other happy owners with no complaints about their cars.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Just adding a bit more data -- I picked up a 2.0T Sport 6MT on Monday (manufacture date 2/18) and noticed the flutter pretty quickly. (It's black, which definitely makes it more obvious. I didn't notice it in the white car I test drove.) Raised the bumpers about a half-turn each and that lessened it significantly. (I didn't check to see if they were making contact, but after raising them the relationship of the hood to the fenders didn't change.) I'll bring it up to the dealer, but sounds like it is what it is unless a service bulletin gets issued.

Apart from that, this is a great car.
On my car, the hood flutters at the trailing edge, near the windshield. I've tried moving the bumpers and it had very little effect other than a slight change in the position of the hood relative to the fenders. Since the bumpers are not at the trailing edge, where the support is needed, I didn't expect adjusting the bumpers would have much of an effect.

At the trailing edge of the hood, there is a gasket, in the gasket Honda added three stiffeners inside the gasket to help support the hood. On my car, the gasket stiffeners just aren't doing the job. I've added a three silicone pads to the hood above the stiffeners in the gasket. It helped a bit since the pads added some additional support, but the hood will still flutter at idle.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Something must be wrong with your gasket, or stiffeners or something as I have read on this forum me and quite a few others don't have a problem. I mean to say I've looked real hard for any flutter and I see none expect a little going over rough sections of road but no more than my wife's CX5, actually her's shows more. I would keep taking it back to your dealer until they fix it.
As I said, I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. One difference between our two cars, might be that yours is the 1.5T with the CVT, it might idle smoother than my 2.0T 10AT. I'll report back what I find.

· REV29K
555 Posts
I'm not try to be a wise a.. but you have been trying various solutions to no avail and since your hood flutter I would assume is not the norm, I was only suggesting to keep taking it back until they fix it, dealerships don't like bad press.
I will. However, after making an appointment and waiting 2 hrs for the dealer to look at the problem, the service advisor came out and asked if they could keep the car and give me a loaner. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of leaving my car with them so I will reschedule my appointment and report back at a later time.

Here's a newbie question. Would reinforcing those points on the gasket (either with silicone pads or the rubber thingies from the Pilot air deflector kit) compromise the function of the gasket (whatever that is), and would that be a bigger/smaller problem than the flutter?
The hood needs more support in the rear section, that's fairly easy to understand. Adding some additional support with some rubber bumpers is what Honda did for the Pilot. Adding some stiffer silicone pads is just my way of adding similar support.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Just had my 2.0 EXL in for another issue and mentioned the hood flutter. They said it is operating as designed. I knew this already as my 2016 Pilot does this as well but not at idle like the Accord. It is somewhat bothersome but I have already overlooked this on my Pilot.
Except Honda did come out with a bumper kit to address the problem on the Pilot.

· REV29K
555 Posts
I still contend that since the only bumpers are towards the front of the car, nearer to the grill, no amount of adjustment is really going to fix the problem. Honda will need to come out with something to stiffen the underside of the hood, or better support the hood from below.

At this time I have doubled up on the foam pads that I added between the hood and the rear gasket. The amount of vibration is significantly reduced but far from eliminated.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Hi, everyone

I bought my car two weeks ago ( accord 2018 sport 1.5)
and I have problem.. when I driving my car at high speed (120 km/h) the engine hood vibrates like a piece of bad plastic !

and in my country (Saudi Arabia) the Honda accord does not have a popularity like Toyota Camry and Hyundai Sonata, So Honda company here does not respect the customer and does not offer solutions quickly.

So if anyone faces the same problem and has the solution, please let me know>:smile

I love my new accord but this problem shattered me :frown:frown:frown
So far, all we know is Honda is aware of the problem but has not come out with a TSB for a fix. The more people who complain to Honda about the problem, the faster we will see a TSB to resolve the issue. In the meantime, I have added a couple of pieces of adhesive foam to the back part of the hood, the foam is pinched between the the hood and the factory foam gasket. My fix has improved the issue by more than 50% but I hope Honda comes out with something that fixes the problem 100%.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Given that Honda engineers admitted to seeing this during development and made changes to mitigate it, I'm afraid that what we've ended up with is what we're stuck with until or unless Honda actually redesigns the hood. As hopeful as I am, I just don't see Honda replacing existing hoods for this issue. I'd be surprised to see Honda address it for existing hoods.
Honda did address it for the 2016 Pilot by adding some bumpers to the hood. One of the forum members here convinced the Service Advisor at their dealership to apply the rubber bumpers to their Accord. I don't think that owner ever reported back as to the effectiveness of the fix. However, I doubt it helped much since it wasn't designed for fixing the flutter in the hood of the Accord. Each problem is unique to the model vehicle.

What I don't understand is how some owners say their hood doesn't shake. I'd like to know what's different about their car versus mine. My hood shakes both at idle and on the highway so I don't believe it's how the hood is adjust with respect to the front fenders or the front clip. Either those owners don't notice the problem or there is something different about their cars.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Well, I thought I had a good idea this afternoon, but it looks like Honda was one step ahead of me.

I thought about stiffening the gasket between the windshield cowl and hood by inserting a length of backer rod (that's the round foam that you push into big cracks before you caulk them) along the inner diameter.

Then, I discovered that Honda already did something similar by inserting what appears to be 5 pieces of plastic/vinyl tubing inside the gasket.

So, I thought about adding even more to stiffen it up along its entire length, but then the rigidity of the plastic cowl itself becomes the weakest link - the aluminum hood is already stiffer than the plastic windshield cowl. If the hood flexes and vibrates, so will the cowl that's supporting it from underneath.

I don't see an easy fix, but it might be possible for Honda to redesign the windshield cowl by adding structure to make it stiffer so that it can provide more support to push up on the bottom of the hood.
Yep, the foam pads I've added are on those five stiffened sections of the gasket. So far the foam works fairly well in damping out most of the vibration. Enough so that I don't think about it every time I drive my car. When I get a chance I'll post a picture.

When I first got my car, I removed the entire gasket and noticed the stiffened sections. The gasket is easy enough to remove and reinstall. I haven't found a better fix at the moment but if I have time I'll take another look to see if there is anything else I can do in the meantime.

· REV29K
555 Posts
Adding mass to the hood could help, or could make it worse. Without knowing the natural frequency of the hood it's hard to say but I guess it would be easy enough to try.

I don't see the cowl flexing much as I'm not compressing the pads too much. I think the added support is enough that if the hood vibrated that much from the factory, most of us would be complaining. So, at this point, I can wait until Honda comes up with something, although I'm not holding my breath. Most likely Honda will just ignore the problem until the mid-model refresh at which time they might change the hood to add some stiffness.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.