Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
We just returned from a 1,500 mile round trip over the holidays. Our 2018 Accord EXL, 1.5L has noticeable hood flutter at highway speeds. By that I would describe it as a flexing up and down of the hood. Have others noticed this condition on the open road?
This is our 6th new Accord and don't recall this on prior generations.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't believe the bumpers have anything to do with the problem, the aluminum hood is improperly reinforced on the underside and the thin material flexes. It is most noticeable nearer the windshield in the center

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I spoke with a Honda CS agent today regarding this hood flutter issue, she acknowledged it was a "known issue" . Spoke with my dealer and scheduled an appointment for Monday 1/8 for repair. Did not provide the details of the Fix but we will see. I'm hopeful as Honda has served us well since our first in 1986. Will advise of the details after the appointment.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Took my EX-L in for the service appointment on Monday, 1/8. The first adviser I spoke with said he had a women with an 18 Accord in on Saturday with the same issue and Honda didn't have a fix. When I explained to the second adviser that I called Honda CS and had a reference number they insisted on keeping my EX-L to test and provided me with a 18 LX loaner. As I drove the loaner I did not notice any hood flutter??
Today they confirmed the hood flutter and after talking with engineering at corporate, they adjusted the hood dampers, which they said were not making contact with the hood thereby causing the problem.
The hood dampers/grommets are two rubber cylinder like, on each fender approximately 15" back from the front of the hood screwed into each fender assembly. Turn them clockwise to lower them or counter clockwise to raise them. In my vehicle they were not touching the hood thereby allowing the hood to flutter up and down. My EX-L is serial number 20956 and my loaner was 42069 I suspect early production may be more susceptible to this problem and Honda QC has now figured it out, hopefully.
Anyone with this noticeable problem may want to consider this adjustment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.