Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
We just returned from a 1,500 mile round trip over the holidays. Our 2018 Accord EXL, 1.5L has noticeable hood flutter at highway speeds. By that I would describe it as a flexing up and down of the hood. Have others noticed this condition on the open road?
This is our 6th new Accord and don't recall this on prior generations.
I’ve had my 2018 Sport to the dealer twice for the same flutter without a fix. I have the black accord and it seems much more noticeable while driving with the glare.
There aren’t any adjustable bumpers or dampers on the 2018. The dealer took out 3-4 other 2018 on the lot, ALL with the same flutter over bumps and at the higher speeds. Conclusion is design flaw and have to wait for a service bulletin for a fix.

· Registered
42 Posts
I spoke with a Honda CS agent today regarding this hood flutter issue, she acknowledged it was a "known issue" . Spoke with my dealer and scheduled an appointment for Monday 1/8 for repair. Did not provide the details of the Fix but we will see. I'm hopeful as Honda has served us well since our first in 1986. Will advise of the details after the appointment.
How did the repair go for the hood flutter? I’m taking mine into dealer tomorrow.

· Registered
42 Posts
You could tape a piece of paper on the hood, when closing the hood, if the bumpers are touching, they should mark the paper.
Personally, I have my doubts as to whether adjusting the fender bumpers (aka grommets) will resolve this issue, which IMHO is caused by aerodynamic lift at the base of the windshield at speed. (See Bernoulli Principle.) However, I oh-so-humbly suggest a dab of toothpaste on the bumpers may be way of determining whether, and to what extent, the hood is in contact the two grommets when the hood is closed.
I have adjusted the bumpers 4-5 times and almost to the full extent now...the flutter has minimized over bumps in the road, however it still there at the higher freeway speeds and while passing 18 wheelers. Also with the crazy winter weather and high winds I almost feel the wind getting under the hood giving lift.

· Registered
42 Posts
My dealership service manager has come up with a fix to minimize, if not stop the hood flutter all together. He installed 2 rubber bumpers on the underside of the hood where the weather strip contacts the hood. They were designed to help this issue with the Pilot or Ridgeline that had a bug deflector installed. Honda should make note to create a bulletin.

· Registered
42 Posts
My dealership service manager has come up with a fix to minimize, if not stop the hood flutter all together. He installed 2 rubber bumpers on the underside of the hood where the weather strip contacts the hood. They were designed to help this issue with the Pilot or Ridgeline that had a bug deflector installed. Honda should make note to create a bulletin.[/quote

Any chance you could take a photo of the location of the 2 rubber bumpers?[/QUOTE
Here they are best lighting I could get. To confirm these bumpers are from a 2010 Pilot deflector kit.
Between adjusting the side bumpers and these added on I have no issues in the highest of winds now.

Attachments

· Registered
42 Posts
I haven't noticed any hood flutter (but I haven't really looked for it) but I decided to open my hood because I never have before. Well, I discovered that I am MISSING one of the hood cushions/bumpers! They just forgot to install it on the passenger side. See attached pics for some good laughs

First picture is the passenger side of the hood, showing the missing rubber cushion.

Second picture shows the drier side of the hood, cushion is where it should be.

I've noticed a slight flutter on the driver's side. Am I understanding right that this shouldn't be a safety issue, this would just be an annoyance? If it's more cosmetic/annoying than anything then I'll just mention it the next time we're at our dealership and see if there's anything that can be done, but it truly isn't bad so I'm not really concerned unless there is something more to it. Sounds like some of you have it much worse than mine for sure. I haven't opened the hood yet either so I'm curious if I have both of those cushions/bumpers or not.
I would say that for normal every day driving that the issue is only an annoyance.
However, I drive mainly open road turnpike miles at higher speeds and lots of crosswinds and 18 wheelers. I felt like it was important for the fix to be made.

· Registered
42 Posts
74175-TVA-000 hood cushion
So, I just bought that part and unfortunately, it is the wrong one. What I got was a very short rubber stopper. It is WAY shorter than the correct one. Anyone else have a part number?

Damian
Contact your dealership and ask for the 2 rubber bumpers used for the 2010 Honda Pilot wind deflector kit. That is what my dealership used to install under the hood to meet the seal nearest the windshield. That did eliminate my hood flutter.

· Registered
42 Posts
Contact your dealership and ask for the 2 rubber bumpers used for the 2010 Honda Pilot wind deflector kit. That is what my dealership used to install under the hood to meet the seal nearest the windshield. That did eliminate my hood flutter.
Would it be asking too much to see a couple of pictures of these bumpers and where they were placed?

I think others would appreciate it too. Thank you
I have the pictures on post #75 of this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.