Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 60 of 290 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Depending on which CVT Brand you are talking about, it does suck eggs. This past weekend and this week, I have a 2018 CRV LX as a loaner car, and I haven't seen it happen yet, as I only hit 50 MPH on the thing. I have talked about the Nissan's hood in an earlier post in this thread, as Nissan's are more likely aluminium, but then corporate won't care that much because they suck... I haven't seen a thread over at the Nissan forum, but I think I should bring this issue up over there. @enne, did you notice the hood flutter when you rented the 15 Altima?
That was 2017 Altima. Nissan CVT Sucks.

· Rollin in FL
1,356 Posts
I just drove the CRV @70MPH, and I didn't see any hood flutter at all.
That was 2017 Altima. Nissan CVT Sucks.
I actually agree with you. I don't like CVT due to Nissan's CVT, but Honda's CVT persuaded me to like the transmission.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Registered
801 Posts
All this talk of hood flutter reminds me of the last generation Camry. Every time I see one on the freeway, I can see the side of the rear bumper cover fluttering from speed. There's actually nothing wrong with it but what does it tell other drivers around you about the quality of your car. I think it looks cheap and epitomized cost cutting on Toyota's part. Toyota could fix this for literally pennies, why didn't they? I have not noticed it on any Accord or the newest Camry.

· Registered
1,102 Posts
It's a flat hood and the front of the car is designed to move a bunch of air through the engine bay. It's normal.

Our Pilot has hood flutter at highway speed as well. It doesn't hurt anything, and the latch mechanism is not going to allow the hood to fly open. It's not like the hood provides an air tight seal.

My '17 Accord with the aluminum hood does not flutter at all. The front of the hood curves down in the front toward the grill, and more than likely doesn't pick up as much draft when going down the road.

The '18 Accord hood is just flat so it's the nature of the beast. It doesn't extend all the way to the grill like in past models.

It's not a defect or an issue. Don't let neurotic OCD behavior get the best of you.

· Registered
263 Posts
I haven't noticed any hood flutter with my 18 EX-L so after reading this thread I was wondering how many owners have the problem. Now I can't tell from the photo's submitted in other threads, but looking over mine the front edge of my hood sits a hair lower that the front facade maybe allowing more air to flow over and not under, could this be the reason?

· Registered
194 Posts
This flutter is an unnecessary annoyance. I note it more on the darker colors where reflections are more prominent. It stands out more on touring models where/when HUD is activated and ones eyes are directed to that area. Picked up first touring (1.5) October 14 and it was quite noticeable. Now have a Silver 2.0, and while not quite as noticeable, it's there. Have driven approximately 40 '18 Accords...they all demonstrated this trait.

· Registered
283 Posts
This flutter is an unnecessary annoyance. I note it more on the darker colors where reflections are more prominent. It stands out more on touring models where/when HUD is activated and ones eyes are directed to that area. Picked up first touring (1.5) October 14 and it was quite noticeable. Now have a Silver 2.0, and while not quite as noticeable, it's there. Have driven approximately 40 '18 Accords...they all demonstrated this trait.
did you exchange 1.5 to 2.0 as trade-in?

· Registered
82 Posts
It's a flat hood and the front of the car is designed to move a bunch of air through the engine bay. It's normal.

Our Pilot has hood flutter at highway speed as well. It doesn't hurt anything, and the latch mechanism is not going to allow the hood to fly open. It's not like the hood provides an air tight seal.

My '17 Accord with the aluminum hood does not flutter at all. The front of the hood curves down in the front toward the grill, and more than likely doesn't pick up as much draft when going down the road.

The '18 Accord hood is just flat so it's the nature of the beast. It doesn't extend all the way to the grill like in past models.

It's not a defect or an issue. Don't let neurotic OCD behavior get the best of you.
I'm guessing you missed post #24?

· Registered
42 Posts
I spoke with a Honda CS agent today regarding this hood flutter issue, she acknowledged it was a "known issue" . Spoke with my dealer and scheduled an appointment for Monday 1/8 for repair. Did not provide the details of the Fix but we will see. I'm hopeful as Honda has served us well since our first in 1986. Will advise of the details after the appointment.
How did the repair go for the hood flutter? I’m taking mine into dealer tomorrow.

· Registered
60 Posts
I just purchased the Touring 2016. One of the first negatives I noticed was when I was washing the car. The panels are all very flimsy and move with even slight pressure. My 2003 Accord EXL does not have this issue.

This is one of the many little things I've noticed, good and bad. Thinking about penning a post detailing my observations between the 2.

I can say though, I love this 2016 *** with 19" rims.

· Registered
5,434 Posts
I drove a 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio that has an aluminum hood, no flutter, no flex. nothing. Honda likes to talk about its superior engineering, waiting to see how they address this.
My Pacifica doesn't flutter neither do Teslas.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Took my EX-L in for the service appointment on Monday, 1/8. The first adviser I spoke with said he had a women with an 18 Accord in on Saturday with the same issue and Honda didn't have a fix. When I explained to the second adviser that I called Honda CS and had a reference number they insisted on keeping my EX-L to test and provided me with a 18 LX loaner. As I drove the loaner I did not notice any hood flutter??
Today they confirmed the hood flutter and after talking with engineering at corporate, they adjusted the hood dampers, which they said were not making contact with the hood thereby causing the problem.
The hood dampers/grommets are two rubber cylinder like, on each fender approximately 15" back from the front of the hood screwed into each fender assembly. Turn them clockwise to lower them or counter clockwise to raise them. In my vehicle they were not touching the hood thereby allowing the hood to flutter up and down. My EX-L is serial number 20956 and my loaner was 42069 I suspect early production may be more susceptible to this problem and Honda QC has now figured it out, hopefully.
Anyone with this noticeable problem may want to consider this adjustment.

· Registered
97 Posts
Took my EX-L in for the service appointment on Monday, 1/8. The first adviser I spoke with said he had a women with an 18 Accord in on Saturday with the same issue and Honda didn't have a fix. When I explained to the second adviser that I called Honda CS and had a reference number they insisted on keeping my EX-L to test and provided me with a 18 LX loaner. As I drove the loaner I did not notice any hood flutter??
Today they confirmed the hood flutter and after talking with engineering at corporate, they adjusted the hood dampers, which they said were not making contact with the hood thereby causing the problem.
The hood dampers/grommets are two rubber cylinder like, on each fender approximately 15" back from the front of the hood screwed into each fender assembly. Turn them clockwise to lower them or counter clockwise to raise them. In my vehicle they were not touching the hood thereby allowing the hood to flutter up and down. My EX-L is serial number 20956 and my loaner was 42069 I suspect early production may be more susceptible to this problem and Honda QC has now figured it out, hopefully.
Very nice, thanks for reporting back! Glad it is that easy. Going to try this tomorrow. The hood seamed pretty steady when I would mash on it so had discounted these being part of the problem as I thought they were making contact.

· Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the update, but I have to ask if you or anyone have any tips on how one can tell whether or not the dampers are/are not making contact as I'd like to make the adjustment as well. I don't want to raise them to high and cause them to dent/warp the hood.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

· REV29K
555 Posts
Thanks for the update, but I have to ask if you or anyone have any tips on how one can tell whether or not the dampers are/are not making contact as I'd like to make the adjustment as well. I don't want to raise them to high and cause them to dent/warp the hood.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
You could tape a piece of paper on the hood, when closing the hood, if the bumpers are touching, they should mark the paper.

· Registered
98 Posts
You could tape a piece of paper on the hood, when closing the hood, if the bumpers are touching, they should mark the paper.
Personally, I have my doubts as to whether adjusting the fender bumpers (aka grommets) will resolve this issue, which IMHO is caused by aerodynamic lift at the base of the windshield at speed. (See Bernoulli Principle.) However, I oh-so-humbly suggest a dab of toothpaste on the bumpers may be way of determining whether, and to what extent, the hood is in contact the two grommets when the hood is closed.

41 - 60 of 290 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.