Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a 2003 Accord Ex V6 coupe. Since I bought the car two years ago, neither the horn nor the power outlets/cigarette lighters have worked. The fuses for these are all OK (9, 32 interior, 13 exterior).

When I bought the car, the door lock actuators didn’t work, and there was an aftermarket KARR alarm system installed. I was imagining that with the actuators not working, maybe the alarm system was confused and would go off too often, prompting the old owner to disable the horn. I have been recently tearing the car apart to to try to find a ground wire that may have been removed. I have looked in front of the shifter (removed the hidden cabinet), under the steering wheel (removing the panel), and in the steering wheel (both in the central horn assembly and back on the main steering wheel transmission assembly). I removed the aftermarket alarm, and it appeared that no wires were cut— they just tapped into three lines (green, red, yellow, and a ground).

I was suggested to connect the green/yellow wire on the steering column to ground, which should initiate the horn. Nothing there. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my multimeter at hand at the time. I got a look at the horn assembly itself in front of the radiator, and it is plugged in—I replaced the radiator yesterday and forgot to take a closer look, doh! I would think it might be the horn itself, but it seems awefully coincidental that both the horn and the cigarette lighters aren’t working.

Over the next few days I will probably take off the bumper and check the horns themselves. Otherwise, if you were to want to unplug the horn, how would you do it? What about the cigarette lighters?

Thanks!

·
one wheel drive
837 Posts
Sounds like two unrelated issues. The multimeter will be your friend.

The power for the horns comes from the battery, through fuse 13 (same one that powers brake lights so make sure those work) and then to the horn relay, which is in the same fuse box under the hood. Out of the relay into blue with red stripe (blu/red) wires going to each horn. You can pull the connectors off the horns, ground the bracket, and put 12v to the pin at the horn. I think you got good advice for testing the horn switch in the wheel so my quick guess is the relay.. unless something is damaged in the cable reel aka clock spring that is a band of wires for the steering wheel controls. No other ways I know of to disable them.

Both power sockets are also fed via relay. You'll want to make sure under hood fuse #15, and under dash fuses 9 and 32 are good. 9 powers the sockets with relay closed and 32 is power to activate the relay once the key is turned to acc or on. As always, grounding is important for all of these parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DonutLimo, thanks for the detailed reply. This is really helpful. I will take a look into it this weekend and get back to y'all.

mtts60, yup, it is out and ready for the burn barrel. Happy to finally get rid of that useless green light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, I have news. Before it was warm enough to work on the outside, I tested the horn relay at the steering wheel with a multimeter, and it is good to go. Today, I pulled the bumper off and got to the horns themselves. Everything is plugged in. I unplugged them and applied 9v to either of the horns, one at a time. I know they are 12v horns, but I figured I ought to get something out of them with 9v. Nothing. I checked the impedence between the positive pin and the negative arm. No connection. So I wedged something between the driver's seat and the horn to hold the relay closed, turned the switch and checked the voltage on the wire against the ground. Bingo, 12v! The horns themselves went bad. I have new ones coming in tomorrow.

As for the power outlets, I pulled fuse 15, and it looked just fine. I put it back in, turned the car back on, and I needed my stereo code. i.e. That fuse includes the stereo, which has been working. OK, what is the deal? I put my multimeter to the contacts in the front cigarette lighter, and I see 12v. Oh geez, have I just been trying to use a broken outlet adapter? Survey says yes. Got a new usb adapter, and it is working fine. I can't believe I have gone so long thinking they were out even though I knew the fuses were good.

I'll update when the new horns are installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all, big thanks for the help. I put in some aftermarket Hella horns, and wouldn’t you know it, I can voice my opinion on the road again!

Along the way, I restored my headlights and put in some new LED bulbs, and I recently replaced the door lock actuators also, so now the buttons and fob work. This guy feels like a brand new car! Not bad for a hundred and fifty bucks or so.

Now for the ritual burning of the KARR...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts