Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 168,000mi
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L and I’ve had it less than a week and the horn began to honk when turning last night, parked it and left it alone. Then this morning I decided to take the #13 fuse out from the under the hood fuse box to avoid the horn honking while driving but when I got in the car and tried to shift into reverse it would not shift out of park, I figure this is probably a safety lock to prevent you from driving without a horn. So I had to put the fuse back and drive to school and it didn’t honk until I was in stop and go traffic and it started honking and it didn’t stop for almost 2 minutes until I hit the horn multiple times. I got to school and just parked it and left it currently in class typing this right now. The only things i’ve found related to my issue is possibly the clockspring failing but I figured it would be worth posting here to see if anyone else has experienced this and/or has a solution. Currently my plan is to disconnect the horns at the front of the car via the wiring rather than the fuses until I can order a clockspring and replace it but I am not sure if unhooking the horns upfront would cause the same safety lock as unhooking the fuse but I doubt it would.

· Registered
5,637 Posts
Most likely the issue is either the horn button(s) or the clock spring, or a wiring issue.

It is possible that there is an aftermarket alarm system and that could be an issue as well.

Unplugging the fuse works, but the solenoid for the shifter interlock uses the same fuse for power as the horn relay.

You can unplug the horns (plural), and that will allow everything to work properly.

Here is a video showing some things on troubleshooting the horn.

Also, a much better troubleshooting video from South main Auto. It also shows how to replace the clock spring.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

• Helpful
Reactions: 0dyfamily

· Registered
2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 168,000mi
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the input I will let you know if I am able to resolve it but for the meantime I will probably unplug the horns like mentioned while I wait to get the parts to fix the issue

1 - 3 of 3 Posts