Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 1999 Honda Accord. The horn has had this issue for a while, but haven't really worried about it much. But now that I have some free time, I want to fix that.
Any idea what the issue is? I don't think it's the relay as the horn technically works, but only when the steering wheel is turned.

Any tips and suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's the clock spring, how easy is that to change out? How much is the part usually?
I've read about a Horn Brass Contact being loose for other cars. Does this apply to Honda Accords too?

Is there another way to test if it's the clock spring or not?

Thanks again for the reply!

·
Super Moderator
3,432 Posts
Does cruise control work? Sometimes that will go bad when the clock spring does.

There are ground contact points for the horn but I don't know how much those are prone to failure.

To change the clock spring you will need to remove the airbag and steering wheel. Airbag bolts can be a pain and will require replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does cruise control work? Sometimes that will go bad when the clock spring does.

There are ground contact points for the horn but I don't know how much those are prone to failure.

To change the clock spring you will need to remove the airbag and steering wheel. Airbag bolts can be a pain and will require replacement.
Ok so I checked the cruise control and it works fine. Does that mean the clock spring is still alright?

Any other ideas on what to check? It's annoying that the horn only works when the wheel is turned haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts