Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 i4 is leaking tranny fluid through the part im pointing in the picture, anybody know how can this be fixed?

Attachments

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Member "74f100" (Jim) just rebuilt his wife's V6 Automatic....I hope he weighs in on this leak. The picture is too "close up" for me to figure out which part it is (return line?).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Member "74f100" (Jim) just rebuilt his wife's V6 Automatic....I hope he weighs in on this leak. The picture is too "close up" for me to figure out which part it is (return line?).
It's located in the back of tranny when viewed from the front of the car. It has what looks like a cable connected to it.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
Looks like the shift cable. My trans has a very very slow leak in the same area. I started looking at how to change whatever seal is back there, but haven't gotten to the point of trying to change it yet. I don't want to start taking it apart, without knowing, and the service manual is not very clear to me.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Yeah, I agree, that looks like the shifter cable.

If it's leaking transmission fluid, then it's got a leak from the mainshaft seal or the shifter seal. If it's oil, then the rear main seal.

Jim

·
Banned
13,098 Posts

If it's leaking transmission fluid, then it's got a leak from the mainshaft seal or the shifter seal. If it's oil, then the rear main seal.

Jim
This guy is like Batman for transmissions.:wave:

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
This guy is like Batman for transmissions.:wave:
LOL,,,,,hardly......see my update. I'm always learning. I will just usually try things that I probably shouldn't.....but you never learn unless you try.

BTW, back to the OP. If the shifter seal is leaking, it can be replaced without removing anything but the shifter cover. It will slide over the shifter shaft, with only removing the shifter cable from that shaft.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Pull the three screws. Apply Permatex gasket sealer. Finger-tighten, wait a few hours, then torque.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pull the three screws. Apply Permatex gasket sealer. Finger-tighten, wait a few hours, then torque.
Thanks, this seems quite easy,

Jim
Thanks for the replies

Yeah it's transmission fluid (reddish color), It's a super slow leak, I cleaned it off and it hasn't leaked since. I recently pulled the engine and I changed front and rear main seals. My driveway has no fluid and tranny is topped, I noticed it when I had the car on a lift and saw that particular area had a small track of red fluid. In this case with a minor leak, would leaving it as is pose a problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts