Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my '99 2dr EX-L V6 for a 2011 2dr V6 blue w/nav. Lots of things are great but it really does feel like Honda went down market cutting costs. Some things can be easily fixed but it really irks me that there is no light for the glove box. Then I see that the Crosstour has this and more! (puddle lights, etc.)

Anyway, I searched around and can not find the part to order. Any ideas?

Also - Is the wiring connector still there to plug a light in?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why do you need a light in the glove box? You can have a look inside even in the dark with the reading spot light anyways. I do not think that there is a harness in the back of the glove box for the glove box light. I took the glove box off to get access to the rear view camera harness and I did not notice anything which seemed to be like a harness that you will be able to connect a bulb to. Of course, I was not even looking for one so somebody else may help you better on this. Also since the airfilter for the AC is located in the back of the glove box, I think that it is better not to have a light dangling in the glove. I am sure people will have different opinions regarding this issue and I am looking forward to hear some of those here.

·
Internet
502 Posts
get a flash light, tape it to your glovebox roof, and then when you need to have a light, a flashlight will prove more useful than a tiny glovebox led

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
my '08 had it, my '10...of course, doesn't. How often do you really access your glove box is my question? Yeah, it's *nice* to have in pitch black times...

But simply adding newer SMD tech LED dome light solutions from XenonDepot, Retro or Diode Dynamics will be more than enough light dispersed to see anything u need to in the glove box.

Just my 2 cents. (I fathomed the same mod at first, don't get me wrong...but I have other things more worth my time to focus on w/ this car)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was a kid it was pointed out that the cheap cars didn't have a glove box light.

Yeah, there are lots of other mods to do but this one is to fix what Honda broke.

Thanks for the feedback. It means it isn't easy to do it right.

·
Registered
833 Posts
A glove box light is not that hard. You need to figure out the trigger mechanism so the light only on when you release/open your glovebox.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
When I was a kid it was pointed out that the cheap cars didn't have a glove box light.

Yeah, there are lots of other mods to do but this one is to fix what Honda broke.

Thanks for the feedback. It means it isn't easy to do it right.

Yeah, it's a punk move by Honda...as the other removals (other than the blue ambient light from the upper/sunroof control console) are easy to rectify.

If you proceed, let us know how it goes..

·
Registered
970 Posts
Glove box light is always ON even if the box is locked!

The light is part of the thick wire harness and cannot be added or deleted without the entire thick harness replacement.

That means that it will be a costly harness to replace.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Glove box light is always ON even if the box is locked!

The light is part of the thick wire harness and cannot be added or deleted without the entire thick harness replacement.

That means that it will be a costly harness to replace.
Good Luck.
Most cars have the glove box light activated when it's opened. I'm surprise that the 8G Accord has it stay on all the time. :dunno:

Just get a bulb and wire to run it under the dash. There is no need to buy OEM harness for replacement. It's an easy and cheap mod.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=10133

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24024

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes sense. The socket is part of the wiring harness is why there is no dealer accessory. Honda really took a shortcut there. I see that the harness is over $150 and half the dash needs removed to get to it. (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com shows different, cheaper part numbers for the 2010+ audio harness as well as the sunroof button one.)

Thanks for the links on doing it yourself. The idea of putting BMW or Ford parts in my Honda seems ironic. Also, on my old Accord the only major part that failed was the alternator which was a GM unit, I believe. :D

I will take a look at all of the PEP Boys electronics to see if anything looks good there. Otherwise, what do you think of getting the illumination kit and an extra blue LED unit?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts