Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a portable generator for when power goes out. I would like to be able to siphon gas out of my 2013 Accord in case I burn through the 20gal I have stored in gas cans.

I know that newer cars have an anti-siphon mechanism in the filler tube somewhere, but using some thin refrigerator water line tubing I as able to get passed it on my wife's 2012 Odyssey. No go on the Accord. Must have a different mechanism. Tried cutting a point in the tubing, twisting, wiggling, everything, but can't get passed it.

Anyone know of a way to siphon thru the standard gas cap entry point?

I'd rather not explore methods like:
- detaching the fuel line and engaging the fuel pump
- detaching the filler pipe
- removing the fuel pump
- punching a hole in the gas tank

Hoping someone has figured out how to siphon through the filler tube.

·
Elvira
3,603 Posts
I have a portable generator for when power goes out. I would like to be able to siphon gas out of my 2013 Accord I case I burn through the 20gal I have stored in gas cans.

I know that newer cars have an anti-siphon mechanism in the filler tube somewhere, but using some thin refrigerator water line tubing I as able to get passed it on my wife's 2012 Odyssey. No go on the Accord. Must have a different mechanism. Tried cutting a point in the tubing, twisting, wiggling, everything, but can't get passed it.

Anyone know of a way to siphon thru the standard gas cap entry point?

I'd rather not explore methods like:
- detaching the fuel line and engaging the fuel pump
- detaching the filler pipe
- removing the fuel pump
- punching a hole in the gas tank

Hoping someone has figured out how to siphon through the filler tube.
I don't think you will get an answer since it is somewhat dangerous and possibly could allow ner do wells an easy answer to a method to steal gas. Why not just buy a gallon canister and a hand pump?
Miker
If someone does show how to defeat the anti siphon will probably be deleted by the moderators and rightly so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
+1 What Miker said....

You store 20 gallons of gas?!?! Good God, man. Just get in the Accord and drive to where the Zombies ain't.:) Leave all your possessions behind. The stuff you own, ends up owning you. - Tyler Durden

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Obviously you've never even thought about the concept of a wtf several day power outage in the middle of winter. My light generator will run basic lights, comms, and our boiler heat for as long as the fuel holds out. 20 gallons sounds like a good start to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 What Miker said....

You store 20 gallons of gas?!?! Good God, man. Just get in the Accord and drive to where the Zombies ain't.:) Leave all your possessions behind. The stuff you own, ends up owning you. - Tyler Durden
that is an amazing quote. Thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Obviously you've never even thought about the concept of a wtf several day power outage in the middle of winter. My light generator will run basic lights, comms, and our boiler heat for as long as the fuel holds out. 20 gallons sounds like a good start to me.
Obviously, you've never even thought about the concept of a wtf spark igniting 20 gallons of fuel. That's why gas stations are regulated.

Have you thought of a Generac whole house generator that is powered by natural gas or propane? I have. No way I would store 20 gallons of gasoline within 100 yards of my home.

I shall now end my portion of this discussion by quoting Tyler Durden yet again:
"Did you know that if you mix equal parts of gasoline and frozen orange juice concentrate you can make napalm?" -Tyler Durden

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
...No way I would store 20 gallons of gasoline within 100 yards of my home....
If you have two cars parked in your garage you have at least 20 gallons there... attached to many electric components that control a combustion engine. I don't see how storing gasoline in a safe container is dangerous.

Your best bet might be to remove the fuel tank and see what Honda has that blocks the tubing. I can't tell what they are using from the diagram:

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...ectrical-exhaust-heater-fuel/fuel-filler-pipe

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
If you have two cars parked in your garage you have at least 20 gallons there... attached to many electric components that control a combustion engine. I don't see how storing gasoline in a safe container is dangerous.
Define "safe container" and safe environment. The poster above did not state, but check with FEMA or just Google it; you have to be very careful when storing gas in gas cans inside your home (and attached garage). A car's gas tank is built very secure- to handle punctures, fumes, and even nearby sparks. Not so a $7 gas can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in the Boston area. Couple years back lost power for a week due to hurricane Irene. Not to bad but lost everything in my fridge and freezer. Then 2 months later lost power for another week due to the Halloween Nor'easter. Some cold nights and cold showers for the family. After seeing what Sandy did to NY/NJ and some friends down there who couldn't get gas to keep their generators going, decided to get a small portable one to keep the fridge, freezer, oil furnace/hot water, and a few lights on for a week or more. One did have a natural gas whole house generator, but the natgas company had to turn of the gas to most of his town due to damage to the lines in many houses.

I don't have natgas in my area and don't need or want the cost of a whole house generator. I rotate through the 20gal of gas thru the year, between the lawn tractor, snow blower, and other yard toys.

Nayr14, thanks for the link. Looks like the anti-siphon is part of the fuel tank assembly. Don't think I go through the hassle of removing it.

I'll keep searching and will probably pick up a few more gas cans if I can't find a way to get it out of my car.

I nor anyone else I know has ever had a problem with gas safely stored in the proper cans. Have heard more stories of houses blowing up from natgas leaks than gasoline.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Tds, excellent points. You've been through a lot and know your equipment, as well as your abilities.

I do hear of 3-4 natural gas explosions in the Chicagoland area every year, but there are dozens of garage fires out here.

We don't get the kind of weather that you do.

As for gas cans, the new ones mandated by the EPA are pretty lousy. They are supposed to prevent spills, but in fact leak like crazy. Federal law prevents the old style from being produced after February of 2013- so only a few of those remain.

A few people were filling up their hot generators and started fires- the company was sued to bankruptcy, and the "new" style (needing two hands to pour) came on the market, but none are leak proof.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Doesn't it have a drain plug on the gas tank? I know my Integra had one because I had to change the tank when it rusted out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RickBlaine, your right about the new gas can spouts. They are a PIA. I end up spilling more gas more often with them than the older spouts with just a cap. Usually just rotate over the old spout to what ever can I'm using. Safe storage and common sense are very important when dealing with gas. I also have heard of people trying to fill a running generator with Darwinian results.

Regarding pulling a drain plug, I'll look into it but again that would be a last resort type thing for me.

I've often siphoned gas from my previous cars in cases where I ran out of gas for the lawn tractor or snow blower found it safe and easy. Although it didn't happen to my friend, the preferred method of stealing gas during the gas shortage was to punch a hole in the tank with a punch and hammer and drain it into oil pans or something until the scumbags filled up their cans. Let the rest drain on the street. I'de opt for siphoning vs that.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Tds, excellent points. You've been through a lot and know your equipment, as well as your abilities.

I do hear of 3-4 natural gas explosions in the Chicagoland area every year, but there are dozens of garage fires out here.

We don't get the kind of weather that you do.

As for gas cans, the new ones mandated by the EPA are pretty lousy. They are supposed to prevent spills, but in fact leak like crazy. Federal law prevents the old style from being produced after February of 2013- so only a few of those remain.

A few people were filling up their hot generators and started fires- the company was sued to bankruptcy, and the "new" style (needing two hands to pour) came on the market, but none are leak proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_UMDpJbvTQ
Television, really? lol

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-1...bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

There isn't just one type of modern gas container. Too bad this retailer couldn't get his hands on the good ones.

Gasoline doesn't explode, it burns. If you have something hot enough and close enough to melt a gas can and ignite the fumes, then it's likely you already have a much larger issue.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Television, really? lol

Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?

Vincent: Yeah.

-Pulp Fiction

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Gasoline doesn't explode, it burns. If you have something hot enough and close enough to melt a gas can and ignite the fumes, then it's likely you already have a much larger issue.

Tell me this isn't an explosion:

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
You're right, gasoline fumes can cause an 'explosion' however gasoline is not considered an explosive, but a flammable liquid. I worded what I was trying to say incorrectly.

If you pour gasoline on a structure like that then it has a lot of exposure to air and vaporizes quickly causing that explosion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Flammability)

However, if you lit the top of a gas container on fire (through the neck on the old ones) it wouldn't detonate because there is very little room for flames, and the oxygen wouldn't make it down into the container.

I guess my point is, it's fairly safe to store gasoline in you garage, as long as it's not near a very hot source that would melt the plastic and autoignite the fumes. My coworker burned her garage when they were cleaning out old chemicals which mixed in the trash bag.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
I guess my point is, it's fairly safe to store gasoline in you garage, as long as it's not near a very hot source that would melt the plastic and autoignite the fumes.
@nayr14: I know what you are trying to say here, but PLEASE qualify that statement....

Proximity to a heat source is bad, so are fumes venting from your gas can (is your water heater in the garage?*), so is improper venting (sealed and filled "container" in a garage hitting 120 degrees F, and even if you lack spark arrestors on lawn equipment you may start in your garage as you walk it outside.

I cringe when one of these Chicago area gas stations sponsor a $1 a gallon gas for a morning drive show, and idiots show up with empty milk jugs, laundry soap dispensers, etc and fill up with gas.

*against code in most of Illinois but not in Arkansas!

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Wikipedia says that the air needs to contain at least 1.4%-~7% gasoline in order to ignite. I don't know how to put that into perspective (other than oxygen is 21% of the air we breathe)... but I haven't heard of someone who left the gas cap off their mower, car or gas container and had their garage blow up.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Well...my gas storage/off-road cans are high quality, not cheap, lever lock seal, jerry can style that can survive most anything. Guess it never occurred to me to have to note that. Simple common sense would dictate never buy cheap, plastic gas cans in a grocery store to keep gas in a dwelling. My bad I guess.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Every single time you guys end a post with "gas is safe to store in a garage/inside your bedroom/etc." I am going to post that you qualify that statement. If you want to be sarcastic knock yourself out- but the statement "gas is safe to store in your garage" alone is an outright lie- and you all know it. Someone comes along three years from now and reads this is not gonna know that you take care of your equipment and know how to properly store gas with proper storage containers. Yes, you should have to point that out.

This other statement that air needs to contain 7% gas in order to ignite is another pointless statement. Your garage does not have to be "7% gas vapors" to blow up, you just need a gas can to leak fluid or vapors, a natural gas water heater to light at the wrong time, a simple lit cigarette to blow into the garage, etc. for something bad to happen.

I can't believe that you never heard of a garage blowing up because a gas cap was left off. You must not have any family members in the Chicago Fire Department, or watch news.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts