Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done it? I can't see any easy way to reach it with the converter right next to it without at least burning your hand. I'm flushing and changing the coolant and want to get all the old stuff out and the radiator only drains half the total amount.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Has anyone done it? I can't see any easy way to reach it with the converter right next to it without at least burning your hand. I'm flushing and changing the coolant and want to get all the old stuff out and the radiator only drains half the total amount.
Safer (for you and the car) and easier to flush and drain a few times than to pull out a plug.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
The rear block drain is a simple 12mm hex bolt, there's a small spigot that the coolant will drain from. It's above the right intermediate driveshaft.

The front block drain is just to the left of the front cat, near the trans, it's a 19mm hex. It will be VERY tight, and the hole it leaves is huge and will make a mess.

NEVER drain the coolant if the engine is warm. Only when it's cold.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,510 Posts
Wouldn't flushing the system with water leave a good bit of water still in the engine? This water would dilute the 50/50 mix coolant added. I would just drain the radiator and block, then refill. Takes just under 2 gallons I believe. I would rather have a half gallon of old 50/50 mix left than a half gallon of just water, but whatever.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Safer (for you and the car) and easier to flush and drain a few times than to pull out a plug.
That's what I ended up doing but a few times turned into about 12 times. Drain the radiator, fill with water, run engine until thermostat opens, repeat. Took most of the morning.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Wouldn't flushing the system with water leave a good bit of water still in the engine? This water would dilute the 50/50 mix coolant added. I would just drain the radiator and block, then refill. Takes just under 2 gallons I believe. I would rather have a half gallon of old 50/50 mix left than a half gallon of just water, but whatever.
I should have been more clear. I didn't mean flushing with water, but exactly when you just said. Repeated draining and adding of new coolant eventually flushes, or rather replaces the old coolant. I practice this with just about all fluids except engine oil.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rear block drain is a simple 12mm hex bolt, there's a small spigot that the coolant will drain from. It's above the right intermediate driveshaft.
I see where it is but even if I get a wrench on it there is no room to turn the wrench.

The front block drain is just to the left of the front cat, near the trans, it's a 19mm hex. It will be VERY tight, and the hole it leaves is huge and will make a mess.
The repair manual says nothing about a front drain. I'll take a look.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,510 Posts
That's what I ended up doing but a few times turned into about 12 times. Drain the radiator, fill with water, run engine until thermostat opens, repeat. Took most of the morning.
If you didn't drain the block you still have a lot of water left in the engine. How much coolant did you add? Pure coolant, or 50/50?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have been more clear. I didn't mean flushing with water, but exactly when you just said. Repeated draining and adding of new coolant eventually flushes, or rather replaces the old coolant. I practice this with just about all fluids except engine oil.
At $12 a gallon for the Honda 50/50 mix that would be pretty expensive. I'm replacing the waterpump too so hopefully that will allow even more water to drain out. Why can't Honda just sell a 100% straight antifreeze?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
If you pull the water pump nearly all the coolant will be out of the engine.

I wouldn't worry about what's left.

You don't use a wrench on the rear drain, a small socket and a small ratchet will do the job.

Honda doesn't sell straight antifreeze because your tap water is not something you want to mix with extended life coolant. They use dionized/distilled water.

The price for Honda coolant isn't that expensive, Toyota's SLLC pink is more expensive. It is also premixed.

Make sure before you drain out any coolant, that the heat was put on full prior to shutting off the car.

·
Registered
415 Posts

NEVER drain the coolant if the engine is warm. Only when it's cold.
The manual says that it is only necessary to drain the radiator and the block from the rear drain plug, not the front. Is opening up the front block drain plug something that you recommend to do?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
If you're not pulling the water pump, the front 3 cylinders don't completely drain, about 1/4 to a half a gallon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
@ Coolant Change:
M/T: 1.74 gal
@ Engine Overhaul
M/T: 2.17 gal

Are you saying that opening the front plug along with the others, drains the same amount of fluid as the engine overhaul?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Pretty close. There will be a little left in the heater core.

When doing a waterpump without opening the front drain, (the front drains through the water pump's passages) the V6 usually takes 2 gallons almost exactly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts