Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people just use their Accord to get from point A to point B, some people care a lot about their car, and others use it as a beater. How do you treat and drive your Accord? Im genuinely curious.

Personally, I baby my car as much as possible (except for the fact she has to sit outside). I accelerate gently, never take her over 75 mph generally, change the oil when it hits 30% life, let her warm up to operating temp. before driving, and slow down for bumps and potholes. I do it because she is 13 years old now, but its amazing how much abuse they can endure... for better or worse.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If you don't count garage usage over the years, I've treated my 1995, 2014 and 2019 Accords the same. Bang through the gears once in a while, but mostly shift relatively low and just cruise. I've always kept up on oil changes. My 1995 saw some neglect in that I never changed ANY other fluids in the 7 years I owned it. I took much better care of my 2014, doing literally everything the MM asked. I wax 2x annually for spring and fall. I've learned to treat the car like something I will be driving in 10+ years, and I don't want to regret NOT doing something or beating it too hard when I'm having fun. I actively look for potholes and might park too far away from the curb sometimes to protect the wheels. I don't speed more than 10mph over on the highway and often tend to brake in order to get around big vehicles for exits rather than speeding in front. When my 2014 totaled last winter, the insurance agent told me it looked show-room ready if not for the crushed rear end. I was proud, if not sad for my loss.

·
NOT your average Joe
2006 Accord EX Sedan, 2.4ℓ & 5-spd Auto
225 Posts
Cool question! I'm pretty much a combo of you guys. 20-40 yrs ago I would have not been nearly so "careful." But, as time has passed, and as I've learned the value of well maintained objects, I've become a lot more conservative. I like to play occasionally, but for the most part I drive the car gently to moderately. It's no problem, as I don't have 'big city" traffic with which to contend. I generally hold it under 75 on the open highway, go with the flow in town, which isn't very aggressive.

I prefer to keep my cars in as new-like condition as possible. I don't do a lot of mods (although I appreciate a lot of 'em), but some things are beneficial or just plain fun.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I drive pretty much like an early-senior who has great interest in babying his car. I want it to last a good long time in good condidtion. I'm almost rabid about maintenance. I would prefer to do all of that stuff myself as i have in the pst several years, but it's just not possible nowadays. But the ride is still fun!

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
176 Posts
I think it's because I'm really a car person, always have been since I was little, I'm 21 now and I've had my Accord (first car) since I was 19, bought her a month before my 20th birthday as a present to myself. I drive her like a grandma compared to how my friends drive their cars. I try to keep my RPM below 2,000 while the engine is cold, but I do love to hear her do a rrrrrRRRRRRR when lights turn green. I'm paranoid, so I only do the speed limit, nothing more. I slow down for potholes and I'll even drive around them if there is no one near me. I slow down for turns, too. And speed bumps. My boyfriend does 90 MPH on highways and my best friend drives like speeding over potholes wins him points. And they think I'm weird for babying an Accord, lmao.
I bought her in June 2019 to commute to college internships for summer 2020, but then covid happened :rolleyes: so in a year and a half I've put on roughly 2,500 miles. But she gets driven until the engine is warm at least every 2 weeks.
I have a carport (not garage) and there's a tree nearby so she is constantly FILTHY with thick layers of pollen and it makes me want to cry. We don't own a hose for some reason. For Christmas I'm asking for some car soap, a nice soft sponge, and a hose. I get triggered just looking at her caked in pollen dust.

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
56 Posts
I try to take good care of it on my college student budget. I've been keeping up on fluid changes, and keeping it clean and waxed. I've installed a transmission cooler, drive it in D3 at low speeds, and generally handle it gently in traffic to preserve the transmission. I almost always keep the trip computer window open on the navi, having the fuel economy display open helps you drive gently.

However, it'd be a shame to not get to hear that Honda V6 sing every once and a while. I rev it up to 4k probably once a week on average.

·
Ken
333 Posts
These cars are fairly resilient with the right options and care and at first I was a bit cautious with it. After the honeymoon phase wore off (and a couple of knicks and dings) I worried less and enjoyed the drive more. I don't redline or boot the thing at every stoplight (because it's my daily and I do need it to last) but I do try to make the most of my driving experience when the opportunity presents itself (merging on highways, empty back roads, etc.). I'm not afraid of some battle scars here and there and I may consider a thorough detail and paint correction every once in a while but I'm also not afraid to drive it through the local car wash either. The Honda-smooth transmission, adequate amounts of power, exterior styling and the minor mods over the years really makes this car what it is and I plan to enjoy it as much as possible. I guess what I'm getting at is that the car is my 180k mile daily and I treat it as such. It's not used and abused but not babied either.

So the car's essentially old enough to get a license and drive itself now and still has plenty of life mechanically but I've been going back and forth about replacing it recently. I think it's a crime to toss aside a perfectly functioning, reliable, and sporty car like the Accord but the want is strong lately.

I'll probably pass it on to my younger brother if I end up moving onto something else. A replacement is hard to come by though because there are very, very, very few new(er) cars that can, all-around, do things well like the Accord. If I had the space I'd keep the Accord and get a newer car too.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,262 Posts
I drive like a grandpa, unless absolutely necessary (such as on a short ramp to the highway), no sudden acceleration or slowing down (= no slamming on the gas or the brake pedal), but I have no problem drive it at 95 mph.

Reactions: TX Accord

·
Pilot without a plane
516 Posts
My car has an owner imposed 3k rpm limit. It has seen 115mph many years ago on an interstate highway with no one around. It's seen 5k rpms, but that was also years ago.

I generally shift around 2,500 rpms and do mostly highway driving. The car never sees above 80mph now. Speed limits here are 70-75mph on highways so that's what it does.

The car is very well cared for and getting it to last this long has taught me a lot and made me better at maintaining our other cars too. This car has been and continues to be incredible. I'm glad to get the J series engine some recognition for reliability.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
176 Posts
My car has an owner imposed 3k rpm limit. It has seen 115mph many years ago on an interstate highway with no one around. It's seen 5k rpms, but that was also years ago.

I generally shift around 2,500 rpms and do mostly highway driving. The car never sees above 80mph now. Speed limits here are 70-75mph on highways so that's what it does.

The car is very well cared for and getting it to last this long has taught me a lot and made me better at maintaining our other cars too. This car has been and continues to be incredible. I'm glad to get the J series engine some recognition for reliability.
You know you're doing something right when you've got 728k! Wow!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I was 16 everyone told me I drive like an old man, now that I am an old man everyone tells me I drive like an old man.
I'm 18 and I know the feeling- Sometimes when I drive my friends they ask why i go so slow on a super rough road, but I just don't wanna have to replace my suspension after 13 years.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
176 Posts
I'm 18 and I know the feeling- Sometimes when I drive my friends they ask why i go so slow on a super rough road, but I just don't wanna have to replace my suspension after 13 years.
You're 18 and take better care of your car than some particular 60 year olds I know. 👏
But especially if repair money is coming out of your own pocket, you take those rough roads as slowly as you need!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Depends on my mood. I would say I usually drive my car in a more spirited fashion. I do a lot of highway driving so it regularly sees 80-90 mph. This car was my 16th birthday gift and while I've never thought of it as a race horse, 4 years later I still think it's pretty nimble and a really smooth drive for it's age and sedanness. I treat it like it's newer though cause it's my first car; my baby. Always let it get to operating temp before driving. Washes every 2-3 weeks and am on top of fluids and other maintenance. Treat the car right and it'll do the same in return.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I take extreme care of my car. 2007 V6, 6 Speed. I replaced everything with Honda OEM parts in the engine bay except the engine and tranny. So, I drive hard ( First gear 4.5k rpm, Second and Third 5k rpm, and then ease the throttle since I would be about 10 to 15 mph above the speed limit).
On the highway (I-95), I never get passed by other cars except only when I slow down for the VSP. =)
If you keep up with regular maintenance and inspection, your car will last very long time regardless of your driving style/speed.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,202 Posts
I treat it very well. All regular maintenance, it's always clean, I drive it as if I were in Europe -- fast but smooth, no jack-rabbit bs, easy on brakes. I do wind it up regularly, not red-lined but just slightly past the torque curve. We have some Autobahn-type freeways in Dallas where 90 is common.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Only can get up to 65mph in third and get there in forever.. oh wait, we are talking accords..
Waiting to warm a car to running temp is a waste! You should give a min and go unless by a highway. Just baby when cold and never beat on till fully warm. Coolant temp gauge is not running temp either..
Shift mine around 2,200 and it see’s upwards of 3k once in a while. They make high revving motorcycles for that daily shenanigans.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,795 Posts
Shift mine around 2,200 and it see’s upwards of 3k once in a while.
🤣🤣
My car has to hit at least 4K to get it to move.

·
Registered
219 Posts
@DARKART, which one do you have?!
I was cracking a joke about my CJ5; it has become the slowest and most fun 4 wheels I have obtained yet!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts