Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found lots of threads about installing different shift knobs, but I've not been able to find anything about how to remove the stock knob. It turns easy enough, but the collar and boot turn with it. Do you have to remove the console first, then release the boot and turn the knob, collar and boot as an assembly to get it off the shift lever?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
There's a little hook on the collar that holds it to the shifter. You can stick a baby flat screwdriver up to unhook it. I THINK it's on the rear of the knob.

Skim around the other shift knob threads and you'll find the info you seek.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I guess I limited my searches to the 9th Gen sections. Anyway, that Youtube video was just the trick.

I don't suppose anyone makes any knobs that work with the existing stock boot collar? Any other Honda knobs that could use the existing boot collar? I guess swapping out the boot collar wouldn't be a big deal to get one that goes along with a nice knob.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, I guess I limited my searches to the 9th Gen sections. Anyway, that Youtube video was just the trick.

I don't suppose anyone makes any knobs that work with the existing stock boot collar? Any other Honda knobs that could use the existing boot collar? I guess swapping out the boot collar wouldn't be a big deal to get one that goes along with a nice knob.
I assume that you already have the Honda leather shift knob. I switched to the Acura and changed the collar, check out this thread:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/248353-acura-tl-shift-knob-locking-collar.html

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume that you already have the Honda leather shift knob. I switched to the Acura and changed the collar, check out this thread:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/248353-acura-tl-shift-knob-locking-collar.html

Mike
Those look pretty good but aren't a huge departure from my existing shift knob. I'm assuming the top cap with the shift pattern in it is plastic not metal?

The 2016 Sport shift knob looks great but with the knob and the collar it is around $120-$130 before shipping.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Those look pretty good but aren't a huge departure from my existing shift knob. I'm assuming the top cap with the shift pattern in it is plastic not metal?

The 2016 Sport shift knob looks great but with the knob and the collar it is around $120-$130 before shipping.
The top cap is metal (non-magnetic, so either aluminum or stainless steel) and I believe that it is SS (very mild magnetic properties).

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The top cap is metal (non-magnetic, so either aluminum or stainless steel) and I believe that it is SS (very mild magnetic properties).

Mike
Interesting. Thanks for the additional information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a Honda Accord Sport 2013 with a manual transmission. I have been looking everywhere to find a proper way to switch out my shift knob and the boot, and I just can't seem to find any accurate, trustworthy information. I attached an image of the specific design of my shift knob that came with the stock purchase of the car.

Does anyone know how?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You pull the boot down and rotate the knob counter clockwise to remove. Raceseng makes great knobs for Hondas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts