Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
VCM DELETE
1,066 Posts
If you have just bought a car with no service record, change it straight away and record the mileage.
Change the serpentine belt as well. The timing belt has a tensioner pulley & also the water pump while its all taken apart- Change this too!

The cost is not horrendous and well worth it. If the timing belt goes, you are going to cry ! :cry:

A good note is There is no way of telling if the belt needs to be replaced, simply by inspecting it.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,728 Posts
^^ This is all you need. BTW use an Aisin kit, it's OEM.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you get the Aisin kit with water pump, do not by gun-shy about replacing that pump. It seals nicely with an included O-ring, and is easy to install.

Even if the timing belt tensioner is still functioning, replace it. Ten years of driving did in the one on my 2012 EX-L V6. Even with only just over 70,000 miles on the odo, when I replaced the tensioner, I also replaced the timing belt and "zero timed" anything else with an idler or tensioner pulley using OEM -quality parts (Rock Auto, and the items had either NSK or SKF bearings pressed into any pulley wheel).

Once you're inside that timing belt cover, you might as well service what you can, all in the name of making sure you don't have to go back in for a long while.

OF

·
Vendor
154 Posts
If you have just bought a car with no service record, change it straight away and record the mileage.
Change the serpentine belt as well. The timing belt has a tensioner pulley & also the water pump while its all taken apart- Change this too!

The cost is not horrendous and well worth it. If the timing belt goes, you are going to cry ! :cry:

A good note is There is no way of telling if the belt needs to be replaced, simply by inspecting it.
Agreed. If I purchase a used vehicle with a timing belt, I always do the timing belt right away if there are no service records. Better to be safe than sorry (y)

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,582 Posts
How does one inspect timing belt on a 2012 v6?
Timing belt replacement is a preventive service, based on time/mileage. A 10 year old timing belt can still look like new, and the belt itself rarely fails, it's the tensioner that is subject to wear and tear. A more meaningful "inspection" might be: taking the timing cover off and check the condition of the tensioner.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Its possible to remove the front cover 10mm bolts and rotate the crank by hand with a 19mm ratchet. Remove the spark plugs first to make it easier to turn. Rotate the engine clockwise only (the same direction as the wheels when in drive) slowly and at least two full revolutions. If you see no lettering on the belt it has been in there for at least 50k miles. The lettering on the timing belt fades away after about 50k miles so that will help you know when, if ever, it was changed.

To simplify it, any used J35 with 105k miles or more and no lettering visible means the belt, tensioner, pulleys and water pump need replacing. But what about a used J35 with 155k miles and no lettering visible? Maybe the previous owner changed it at 105k miles? Better safe than sorry and just change everything. I see a lot of used J35 Hondas and Acuras with between 105k and 130k miles and I would bet a dollar that MOST of them need a timing belt, etc.

Because no J35 owner with say 120k miles who just paid $1000 for a timing belt is going to sell their car right after that. Its the same reason why people who put 4 brand new tires on their car will not immediately sell it.

As stated by others the tensioner typically fails before the belt. Then the engine loses time and KABOOM expensive $$$ ouch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts