Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this website and thinking of getting a Accord Sport with the manual.But I live in the Northeast where we have crazy weather in the winter time.I'm a little concern about the Accord not being an AWD vehicle like the Subaru Legacy which is in competition with the Accord

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in Ontario and spend winter weekends driving back and forth to ski country. I just put snows on my new 13 Coupe EXL V6 6MT. Had my first winter / snow driving experience on Sunday and I was glad to have the "winters". I went down to 16s for winters, went with alloys.

One motivation was weather, the other was saving the factory rims. No regrets but a hard financial pill to swallow after buying a new car. I figure its cheaper and safer than finding a ditch if I drive with some common sense.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Given the same tires, AWD is better than FWD, but IMO, a FWD car with snow tires is better than an AWD car with all season tires in light snow or on snowpacked roads. Once the unplowed snow gets close to the undercarriage, I'd rather have AWD and/or more ground clearance. No matter what you drive, I think having snow tires is the best thing you can do for your car if you live somewhere with nasty winters. It's not as good for your wallet, though. :thumbsdow An Accord running snows would outperform most vehicles on the road in the winter.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Given the same tires, AWD is better than FWD, but IMO, a FWD car with snow tires is better than an AWD car with all season tires in light snow or on snowpacked roads. Once the unplowed snow gets close to the undercarriage, I'd rather have AWD and/or more ground clearance. No matter what you drive, I think having snow tires is the best thing you can do for your car if you live somewhere with nasty winters. It's not as good for your wallet, though. :thumbsdow An Accord running snows would outperform most vehicles on the road in the winter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Regardless of what car you have (AWD included) I recommend winter tires. I'll second what retlod said. I live in the Northeast snow belt of Ohio. I swallowed the pill and have a set of winter tires on 17" rims. I have recent experience and the car performed very well on snowy/icy roads. The peace of mind is great when watching others spin their wheels and swerve all over to get going and around corners.

AWD doesn't stop the car any faster.

·
Banned
251 Posts
Regardless of what car you have (AWD included) I recommend winter tires. I'll second what retlod said. I live in the Northeast snow belt of Ohio. I swallowed the pill and have a set of winter tires on 17" rims. I have recent experience and the car performed very well on snowy/icy roads. The peace of mind is great when watching others spin their wheels and swerve all over to get going and around corners.

The impression I have always had is that AWD aids in the acceleration of the car, not braking power.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What's the best set of snow tires for the Accord?
That's a subjective question. Everyone has their preferences. I myself would tell you to run either Nokian or Hankook Ipike. Others will tell you to run Blizzaks and where I have run Blizzaks I have hated them for the most part but others swear by them. My suggestion to you is to do some research. The key to driving in the winter is not being an idiot. No car/tire combination will make you invincible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a subjective question. Everyone has their preferences. I myself would tell you to run either Nokian or Hankook Ipike. Others will tell you to run Blizzaks and where I have run Blizzaks I have hated them for the most part but others swear by them. My suggestion to you is to do some research. The key to driving in the winter is not being an idiot. No car/tire combination will make you invincible.
LOL!! tell that to these SUV drivers they drive on snow and ice like there's nothing on the roads.I use to be like that myself I have a 2003 Honda Element and it's AWD and one winter I hit an ice patch on the road and did a complete three sixty

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Go to Tirerack.com and read the reviews on various brands/models of snow tires. Very informative.
They also have an article from Car and Driver that compared FWD, RWD and AWD, in each case with all-season and snow. It will show you the qualitative benefits of snow tires.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Go to Tirerack.com and read the reviews on various brands/models of snow tires. Very informative.
They also have an article from Car and Driver that compared FWD, RWD and AWD, in each case with all-season and snow. It will show you the qualitative benefits of snow tires.

Don't overthink the tire selection. The worst winter tire will be better than the best all-season.
I have the Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT on my Accord in the stock 17" size. I settled on this tire after reading reviews and surveys on TireRack.com and past experience on the previous gen Ultra Grip. My initial impression of these tires are that they are fantastic. During last weeks winter storm in the Northeast these tires performed. The roads were very icy and these tires walked up the hill to my house and did not even flash the TC light.

The tires are very quiet, dare I say quieter than the OE GYs that came on my car. They are very smooth and TireRack did a good job balancing them when they mounted them on the rims.

My vote is the Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT.

Jay

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
How is the car driving in winter snow vs. driving in summer snow? :banana::D:wave:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have never put special tires on my Accords for the winter. have always got around fine. I'm an aggressive/spirited driver, but when the snow and ice hits, I'm like Miss Daisy on a Sunday drive. And during bad snows or ice, I don't go out unless I have to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 Subaru Outback and a 2013 Honda Accord Sport. Indy just got the first snowfall of the year and I took both cars out today before the roads were cleared. Not surprisingly the Subaru was the far better car in the snow due to the AWD.

That being said as long as you are slow and have decent car control the Accord will do just fine. I still don't think I get enough snow to warrant a dedicated snow tire but we will see.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
The impression I have always had is that AWD aids in the acceleration of the car, not braking power.
Correct, AWD is inactive when the brakes are applied and is of zero value in traction.

Thee are over a dozen great modern technology snow tires. Of course some are better than others, Tire Rack is the best source for info. I don't think you can go wrong with any brand name snow tire. TR is now calling them Winter tires because they offer superior braking distances on cold dry pavement without snow.

My experience exactly. I am in the center of The Buckeye Nation and the peace of mind is priceless. Moreover, one fender bender deductable will cost more than a set of snow tires and these tires are your best defense against losing traction and crashing. And yes, AWD offers zero braking advantage.

I live in Ontario and spend winter weekends driving back and forth to ski country. I just put snows on my new 13 Coupe EXL V6 6MT. Had my first winter / snow driving experience on Sunday and I was glad to have the "winters". I went down to 16s for winters, went with alloys.

One motivation was weather, the other was saving the factory rims. No regrets but a hard financial pill to swallow after buying a new car. I figure its cheaper and safer than finding a ditch if I drive with some common sense.
I had steelies and 16s that I used on the '04 MDX that fit great. I just put them on 2 days ago and they are like black gold. Here is what I posted on Wednesday.

I have never put special tires on my Accords for the winter. have always got around fine. I'm an aggressive/spirited driver, but when the snow and ice hits, I'm like Miss Daisy on a Sunday drive. And during bad snows or ice, I don't go out unless I have to.
I live up a 10% grade that numerous FWD cars get stuck on. I have pushed two that were stuck near the top. Tonight, I motored around one stuck about 2/3 the way up. I used to say FWD is fine in the snow until I moved up the hill and I no longer say that after barely making it up that hill in the Ody a couple of years ago and I immediately bought the General Arctic Altimax that day which I use on the Accord now. It is like having AWD, the TCS light did not flash once. A lady in an Ody coming the other way warned us going up that she got stuck and had to back down. That guy that I drove around was ahead of me and got the same warning in his FWD and he ignored her. I only drove the Accord because my MDX is getting new tires tomorrow and wifey was driving her MDX. I figured a snow tire Accord was better than an AWD with bad tires. If one can make it up my hill in snow and ice without even activating TCS, that is impressive grip especially when similar cars can't budge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Accord seems to handle pretty well in the snow. We had our first real snow this week and I had no problems getting around. I am planning on buying new rims and tires, but have decided to wait until after winter. The stock Michelins seem to handle really well in the snow, at least compared to my old 2010 Sierra 2WD I had before. Next to the AWD cars and trucks (Ridgelines and a Subaru) I've had, the Accord is second only to them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't overthink the tire selection. The worst winter tire will be better than the best all-season.
Don't agree with this post. For your safety and others, do the research to get a great snow tire. Don't cut corners here. And with that being said, like others have mentioned, the accord should do well in the snow. While not AWD, the FWD cars are generally good performs as the car's front wheel pulling motion is good for such conditions.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Don't agree with this post. For your safety and others, do the research to get a great snow tire. Don't cut corners here. And with that being said, like others have mentioned, the accord should do well in the snow. While not AWD, the FWD cars are generally good performs as the car's front wheel pulling motion is good for such conditions.
Exactly. And, buy a decent tire because this is what you are driving on for over 1/2 of the year. I put mine on in the first week of November and usually leave them on until mid April.

Jay

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Can I use 5x114.3 steel wheels with 205/60 16" tires for winter? TireRack says 205/65 16s for winter, but I saw a used set that I wanna get vs. new. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts