Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

How good is LKAS and ACC and rainsense wipers really compared to others?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  edfru2 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 grand cherokee that has a surprisingly good adaptive cruise system, meaning its smooth on accel/decel, keeps a close enough distance, etc. Ive driven various cars where this system sucks, how does the latest accord version stack up?

Same question with the lkas, is it lane centering, or just ping pong form lane to lane? example, the 2016 hyundai genesis has a surprisingly good lane centering system, can be used with or without cruise on...how does honda stack up? does it actually center the car in the lane or just bump it from lane to lane marker all the time?

Same question with rain sense wipers, does it activate when you want it or does it have to be a downpour to work? Good intervals, works in snow and mist and fog and sleet?

#2 ·
I bought my 18 Accord with intention of using the features, on longer road trips. I did my first one last year, St. John’s to Atlanta and return, total 8500 km. I found the ACC, LKAS very effective, I enjoyed using it once I got used to it. Had to adjust following distance from time to time, as if you leave 3 bars, or 75-100 meters between you and the car in front, someone comes along and fills the space. You have to be very vigilant, in busier or heavier traffic. You have to watch for what comes next, as the car does not see that. Overall very satisfying, especially on the open road.
The Honda LKAS is better than the Subaru (we have a 18 Outback), that car “ping pongs” quite a lot, my Honda does not. On normal gradual turns, I get the “Steering Required” light often, as you can cruise with almost no input. Not recommended of course, to doze or read a book.
The rain sensing wipers are good too, several times I forgot about them (no rain) and when they come on they startled me. Rarely did I have to set speed manually.
I enjoy my car completely, almost no bugs or criticisms. 1.5 years; 30,000 km.
In case you’re wondering, the 19” wheels and tires are on the shelf, using 17” snow tires on steel “winter wheels.”
On heaviest snow days, Accord stays home in garage, I make off with wife’s Outback. ;)

#3 ·
The ACC and LKAS systems have worked fine for me. The rain sensing wipers could be more sensitive, IMO. I've noticed that, even on their highest sensitivity setting, sometimes they're a little slow to make that first "swipe" and I end up manually intervening. I've also noticed that once they do complete that first swipe, there's no issues from that point forward. They're very useful, but not as good as the system I had on a Lexus.

I'm impressed Jeep had any implementation of adaptive cruse control in 2014, much less a good one!

#4 ·
I had a 2011 Mercedes with rain sense wipers and I think they are better on my 2019 Honda. On the Mercedes, the wipers would freak out and go into HI mode for no reason. You'd have to turn them off and back so they'd behave. But of course, technology can improve a lot in 8 years.

#5 ·
I don't have rain sensing wipers on mine. Can't speak about that.

I only buy cars about once a decade, so ACC, TCS, LKAS, RDM, and CMAS are all relatively new to me, though I have a 2018 Toyota RAV4 with both features to compare.

I can't tell you how well Honda's LKAS compares to Toyota's since I disable LKAS as soon as I buy the car. I detest any technology that tries to unexpectedly take control away from me and I disable it as thoroughly as I can. I never use LKAS and I have road departure mitigation permanently disabled. There are other features that can't be permanently disabled yet, but I'm not done.

I do like the ACC because I decide when it becomes active. And when it activates, it's actually doing something I want it to do, unlike LKAS, ESP, CMAS, and all the other intrusive nanny state safety BS that interferes with what I'm doing at unexpected times.

Honda's ACC is slightly better than Toyota's, at least as it's executed in the RAV4, because it allows one more choices in following distance.

#6 ·
I'm not a huge fan of ACC, as I feel it leaves a little too much room between my car and the car ahead. Someone always makes use of that space, I get sent through the windshield! The LKAS works pretty well, but I don't really have a basis of comparison....this is my first car with this kind of tech.

I do get a few phantom braking alerts when nothing is in front of me, typically when it is dark outside. That's the only thing that really bothers me.

#8 ·
Another echo for too much space between the car in front, even on the closest setting. Otherwise, it works really well. I started using it daily on my commute and it has brought my aggravation level down quite a bit!

#10 ·
I’ve had several cars with all these features mostly from German manufacturers.

Lane keeping assist-never found this to be perfect and will allow you to drift side to side then move you to the center. Always turn this off as it’s not helpful unless you aren't driving with your full attention which is a bigger problem. I also found the Honda version likes to keep my car a bit too far to one side of the lane and I like to drive more towards the exact center.

ACC on the Honda is as good or better than other cars I have driven. No issues with phantom braking and it keeps a consistent distance.

Rain Sensing Wipers work very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.