Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Honda Racing Evolution
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
your OEM shocks last? Plz be specific about how you drive for example: you save you car from pot holes or not. Also, when did you get alignment?

Recently I'm kind of abusing my poor car by not covering pot holes but its usually because of stupid driver's who do 40 in a 60 zone so I lose my focus while changing lanes and run into one which fkin bothers me a lot :paranoid:

Now because of this^ my thread question came up:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
I did my first alignment 2 years after getting my car. Car was practically new with only 4900 miles on it. The only reason for the alignment was because I nailed a massive pot hole in downtown Chicago. On top of that, the front right CV joint was seriously damaged, so I had to replace that.

Stock shocks/spring lasted about 98000 miles, that was when the rear driver's shock blew with oil literally shot out of the tube and splashed onto nearby wheel well area. It would have lasted way longer if I didn't hit a pot hole then blew that tire with a 250lb guy sitting in that corner. It was a "fat" accident. haha! I blame that totally on him. Then I went for the HFP suspension. I swapped out the entire set because I didn't want to pay more labor in the future doing the other corners or have a brand new shock in one corner and old shocks in the others.

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
I had 165000 mile on my 03 when it was totalled and the shocks felt fine. It was driven in Miami so pretty much no bad roads.

I know that driving in NY will reduce the life on my current 07. I feel like everytime I drive through Brooklyn I take about 10K miles off the life span.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
Except he isn't asking about lowering....

He is just asking how long the stock suspension lasts.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Except he isn't asking about lowering....

He is just asking how long the stock suspension lasts.
Yes, but lowering usually is extreme wear from stock and the discussions usually go into how long the struts when lowered have lasted. Honda made a good long lasting strut. In my example, the 175K was all lowered on the stock shocks and outlasted a set of eibach springs (rusted out).

·
2020 CBP Touring
722 Posts
They are one of the most impressively engineered parts of the car imho... My Lexus and Toyota's always ate struts and especially strut mounts every 75k or less. Both Accords in the 80-90k range feel great on horribly pot holed ny roads.

·
Northern Canada
76 Posts
Just so we are clear, the rear of the Accord have shocks or struts in the back?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Just so we are clear, the rear of the Accord have shocks or struts in the back?
from Wikpedia: "In vehicle suspension systems, struts are most commonly an assembly of coil-over spring and shock absorber."

The Accord has struts all around. You can change out the whole strut assembly with spring or just the spring itself with a lowing kit and maintain the stock strut.

·
Registered
686 Posts
your OEM shocks last? Plz be specific about how you drive for example: you save you car from pot holes or not. Also, when did you get alignment?

Recently I'm kind of abusing my poor car by not covering pot holes but its usually because of stupid driver's who do 40 in a 60 zone so I lose my focus while changing lanes and run into one which fkin bothers me a lot :paranoid:

Now because of this^ my thread question came up:thumbsup:
I hate that, a few weeks ago there was some fool going slow in the fast lane and when I went to pass him I nailed a deer carcass that was pushed to the center of the road. it still drives straight and there's no wobbles or vibrations so I think its fine but I was worried for a second cause I hit it at 80 (rd is marked 70).

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
6,322 Posts
166k on my 99 when I sold it. Shortly before that I asked the dealer to check out the suspension. One of the senior tech's looked it over underneath and took it for a test drive. He said all the struts looked good...no leaks and the test was fine also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
my accord has 80k on it now and it's been lowered for about 30 of those.

I believe that both my rears are blown or seriously compromised.

I will be replacing with Tokico Blues in about 2 weeks, just ordered them

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
If we are talking about lowering then you must do it right. Lowering should NEVER be done on stock struts/shocks because of the higher spring rate of shortened springs. I've heard countless complains of people cheaping out for "the look" and lower on stock struts which places more stress on stock struts. Or, you can do Honda Factory Performance suspension, which comes as a set already tuned. I had my 98 Accord lowered on Eibach Prokit springs and Koni yellows for over 150k miles with no issues. The only problem I had was with an Eibach rear spring snapped in half due to the moisture and rust trapped inside the spring silencer.

lower = don't do it on stock struts
not lowered = stock suspension should last a long time unless you run into a pot hole with some fatso in your car

·
2020 CBP Touring
722 Posts
I hate these stupid threads where they don't put the subject in the title. Idiotic :dunno:
Can't disagree with you. I usually skip them.... I don't know why not this time.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If we are talking about lowering then you must do it right. Lowering should NEVER be done on stock struts/shocks because of the higher spring rate of shortened springs. I've heard countless complains of people cheaping out for "the look" and lower on stock struts which places more stress on stock struts. Or, you can do Honda Factory Performance suspension, which comes as a set already tuned. I had my 98 Accord lowered on Eibach Prokit springs and Koni yellows for over 150k miles with no issues. The only problem I had was with an Eibach rear spring snapped in half due to the moisture and rust trapped inside the spring silencer.

lower = don't do it on stock struts
not lowered = stock suspension should last a long time unless you run into a pot hole with some fatso in your car
I should have really considered that before I ran my car 172K miles on the stock struts lowered with no issues. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Honda Racing Evolution
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the feedback guys!! I have no intention of lowering the car, my only concern was the shocks , my area roads are getting worst by each winter, I usually know the area of trouble on the roads but just sometimes I run into one. What about alignment ? is this should be my concern :dunno:I'm sitting at 69km on my car.

·
Honda Racing Evolution
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had 165000 mile on my 03 when it was totalled and the shocks felt fine. It was driven in Miami so pretty much no bad roads.

I know that driving in NY will reduce the life on my current 07. I feel like everytime I drive through Brooklyn I take about 10K miles off the life span.
:yes:NYC has some worst roads !! whenever I am there I usually would drive slow through bad roads but people behind are just rushing in you and they don't even care for pot holes.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts