Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to do my 2nd brake change, getting close to 70k miles. just wondering how long these rotors last before i have to change em out =X

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Based on past threads here, anywhere from about 5,000 miles to 128,000 miles. I hope that helps. :)

Depends on lots-o-factors. Stop and go, highway miles, type of pads, driving style, driving through cold water car washes after autocrossing your vehicle in Arizona on a July afternoon; if you mean in years then rotors can last 100 years if you leave it parked in a museum, or a matter of minutes should you attempt to use your Accord to transport Bruce Willis and his lovable yet misfitted band of oil drillers and miners to an asteroid in order to blow it up and save the world, etc....

Measure the thickness of your rotors. As long as they are thicker than the min requirement, are not warped, and no grooves in them- then keep running them.

·
07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i ran my finger across it.. felt subtle grooves? stop and go mostly.. not too much highway.. pads are .... been getting honda oem pads =X forgot what the material was but im sure its not ceramic.

dont think they are warped. dont have that warped feeling XD

maybe ill run them one more set of pads before i get new ones :] i dont really let my car get that dirty so should be ok =X

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Harbor Freight has digital caliper measurement tools starting at $10 on sale...this one is about $20:

Go to post #4 in this thread and see the pdf Member "Princess" posted about the rotor thickness for front/rear/and for the V6 6 speed....
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8607

Thar be your answer if you should replace rotors or not.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
If you aren't getting pulsations when braking, I wouldn't even have them machined. Put new pads on and go. If things look rusty you might want to clean the rust off and lube the calipers. I'm pretty sure the OEM pads are ceramic.

·
07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harbor Freight has digital caliper measurement tools starting at $10 on sale...this one is about $20:

Go to post #4 in this thread and see the pdf Member "Princess" posted about the rotor thickness for front/rear/and for the V6 6 speed....
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8607

Thar be your answer if you should replace rotors or not.
time to pick up calipers XD been wanting one anyway ahaha XD but thanks !

If you aren't getting pulsations when braking, I wouldn't even have them machined. Put new pads on and go. If things look rusty you might want to clean the rust off and lube the calipers. I'm pretty sure the OEM pads are ceramic.
yep no pulsating when braking. mom's car when braking currently is slightly pulsating.. not too bad tho. gonna get them machined soon haha. that was my "standard" if i needed to change or not. but i decided to ask anyway just for reference. i dont think oem is ceramic tho.. if my memory serves me correctly... think it was an organo-metallic?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
i dont think oem is ceramic tho.. if my memory serves me correctly... think it was an organo-metallic?
Every parts store site I've gone on (advance, O'Reilly etc), looking at brake pads, has said OE is ceramic. I don't see anything about it in the service manual, so that's all I have to go by. Are they all lying to me?

·
Registered
448 Posts
PADS: Over the years, I've put on over a dozen sets of O'Reilly's Brake Select Select OEM pads which I believe are a blend of ceramic and organic, according to the nice folks at the counter. They said this blend is what the manufacturer recommends. I seldom believe these nice sales folks, but I have put on the same type of pads on all of my Hondas and I swear by them. My current rear pads are six years old and show half the wear; the front ones are three years ago and they're still about 2/3 of the original thickness. Much of my driving used to be highway albeit with lots of traffic.

MEASURING ROTORS: Yes, get yourself a vernier or digital METRIC measuring tool. However, if you get the one pictured from Harbor Freight or something similar, you will need to deal with the small lip that is created at the outer edge brake rotor and the inner most diameter edge, otherwise you'll be taking a false measurement that merely is your original rotor thickness. The calipers pictured do not have a nodule on the end to overcome this lip. So either you have to either get a machinist's micrometer or do what I do with my measuring tool: get a couple very small round magnets (Radio Shack/$2.50 for four) and put them on your rotor on the inside and outside. Measure using your tool with the magnets in place. Then measure the two magnets together by themselves. Subtract the original measurement and assess what the minimum is (stamped on rotor). Actually, if you have a capability of zeroing, then you can skip the subtraction part. This, of course, is a poor man's method instead of using a real $200 professional brake rotor measurement tool that has deeper throats and can get to all parts of the rotor, but my method works extremely well. Or invest in a quality micrometer with the nodule. Make sure it's metric and not standard, otherwise you'll be constantly googling the conversion.

ROTOR: As mentioned, if you have enough rotor thickness, have no obvious larger grooves (some smooth grooving is ok), have no brake pedal sensation, I would not "re-surface" nor replace the rotors. I have yet to do anything with my rotors in eight years and 60,000 miles, and who knows how long they were in my car before me. I'm not sure if my rotors are original--so I cannot really answer your original question about how long your rotors will last. RickBlaine's answer was probably the best.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If the rotors were badly warped you would feel it on the pedal when you brake, or an audible crunchy sound from the rotor when the car is stopping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm annoyed to find after 21K on the '12 Accord, I'm starting to get a bit of that Honda-warped-rotor-chuckle. Would have thought after all these years, they would have fixed that. Every Accord I've had has developed the issue. Not the Civics, for some reason.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
you will need to deal with the small lip that is created at the outer edge brake rotor and the inner most diameter edge, otherwise you'll be taking a false measurement that merely is your original rotor thickness. : get a couple very small round magnets (Radio Shack/$2.50 for four) and put them on your rotor on the inside and outside. Measure using your tool with the magnets in place. Then measure the two magnets together by themselves. Subtract the original measurement and assess what the minimum is (stamped on rotor).
That is brilliant, Smurf. Thanks for posting this. Never thought of the magnet "trick"!

·
Registered
513 Posts
The rotors of my 2003, 195,000km Coupe, are original still, and the second set of pads still have lots of meat left. But I live in low traffic density flatlands without hills, and you can see most traffic lights well into the distance to adjust speed so you don't have to stop.

But these are high maintenance brakes for keeping the pad corners clean and lubed as well as the slider pins lubed. If they seize, the wear skyrockets. Once a year I do a thorough brake service.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The rotors of my 2003, 195,000km Coupe, are original still.

Gen7 brakes/rotor/pads life can vary big time. My 6M coupe has 137,000 miles on factory original pads, rotors (even plugs which really surprise me).

A decent car in this sailor's opinion...............

ez

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
When I bought my car from the dealer used, they supposedly said that the rotors and brakes were new when I bough it. Well, they only lasted me about 2 years, so about 20,000 miles before I need to replace them, which i just did.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,720 Posts
Brake life depends GREATLY on how you use them. Hard stops will cause them to heat and potentially wear or warp quicker, driving with sanity by coasting up to stop lights/signs when you know you will have to stop will significantly extend brake life. You don't always have to have a foot on the gas or brake pedals.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
Advance, O'Reilly, and NAPA all say OE is ceramic. I use the stock Honda pads, and they work fine for me. I just replaced the rear rotors (slight vibration during high speed braking), and put on the second set of replacement pads at 100k miles. The front rotors are still original, with the first set of replacement pads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad to see some members getting some mileage out of their brakes. You can ALMOST see a trend with the longer lasting brakes being in the warmer climate:dunno:
Unfortunately for me, my 03 coupe devours rear pads and rotors in 20k miles!
I no longer give the local dealers $340 for their "premium" rear pads and rotors (just parts no labour!) and just put the cheapest I can find, $80. So far, I cannot tell the difference in braking (but it is winter here), so I will see just how premium the factory part is.
The fronts last a whopping 5k more! so now I have to do the fronts.

A previous poster has it right, dismantle, clean and relube everything annually, especially the park brake mechanism for those of us in the salt belt. I may even move that up to every six months!

As much as I love this car, I never had a car that requires this much brake maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
6,655 Posts
I live in Chicago

160k miles for original front pads and rotors, the only reason I changed out the rotors is because I was already there, might as well.

90k miles for original rear pads and rotors, same reason and the front for changing out the rotors.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,720 Posts
Unfortunately for me, my 03 coupe devours rear pads and rotors in 20k miles!
Seriously? Are you driving on the street like you are on a track?? 130k on my '03 6MT Coupe, and the car is still on its second set all the way around. And no, I don't baby it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts