Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Do you have the V6 rumble/vibration issue ?

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
new Touring owner here, car has barely 1k miles and came here searching for a strange rumble or vibration from the car that happens on very low throttle/acceleration only. It's faint but its there. Have to either step on the gas or let go to make it go away. On searching and reading some threads it seems to be real. Many people have said they experienced this and have been turned away from dealer service by the infamously popular response - "it's normal". Some say its the VCM some say its the Torque Conv. Has anyone found a definite official answer yet ?

I would also like to get an idea of how wide spread this problem is and hopefully get an answer from Honda as to what exactly is causing this and also a fix.
So if you have this problem please vote yes in the poll so we can get a count and maybe some momentum.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hi there,
new Touring owner here, car has barely 1k miles and came here searching for a strange rumble or vibration from the car that happens on very low throttle/acceleration only. It's faint but its there. Have to either step on the gas or let go to make it go away. On searching and reading some threads it seems to be real. Many people have said they experienced this and have been turned away from dealer service by the infamously popular response - "it's normal". Some say its the VCM some say its the Torque Conv. Has anyone found a definite official answer yet ?

I would also like to get an idea of how wide spread this problem is and hopefully get an answer from Honda as to what exactly is causing this and also a fix.
So if you have this problem please vote yes in the poll so we can get a count and maybe some momentum.
Weren't you "allmostthere" yesterday? :dunno:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Guerrilla troll:lmao::lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He, he, he....
Guerrilla troll:lmao::lmao::lmao:
No! you guys are reading too much into this!
I bought this car just a few weeks ago and I love this car but I am genuinely concerned about this problem. This is my second Accord, had a 6th gen that I used as the first and only owner. This rumble strip type vibration problem has eerie resemblance to the transmission failure on my other car which is a '01 MDX and probably that is why I am paranoid about it. but yeah..thanks for the warm welcome :wave:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, I've got this problem. I also have an eight year warranty. If the transmission blows up, well, Honda should have done it properly the first time. Their loss.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Troll. Good old "rumble strip" reference use every time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And What could I possibly be trolling for ?? Are you saying this is not a real problem ?
That(as if the car is going over rumble strips on the road, get it ?) is truly the best way to describe it - do you have any better suggestion ? Obviously doesn't look like you have experienced anything like that so you should be the ones shutting up otherwise you would be the troll, right ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have this very bad on our car and it is currently going on the 2nd week at the dealer trying to diagnose it. Ours is more than a rumble and has gotten worse over the miles. Currently 13k on the car

The whole experience to this point has been less than pleasant as the dealer claims it is wind noise, which is not the case. The dealer can duplicate the noise, yet the car still sits.

Not sure what I am going to do at this point. Mahwah Honda in Mahwah NJ is the dealer as well

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Yes I also get the rumble strip between 1500-1800 rpm's. I have about 6200 miles on it and the vibration is still there.
Does the vibration happen when moderately accelerating between 1500-1800 RPM in each gear or only when maintaining speed?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Never experienced it. Car currently is at 13.5K. Still as buttery smooth as when I drove her off the lot :hug:

·
Elvira
3,604 Posts
WARNING Long Response Hang in as long as u can

How many $30,000+ cars other than Honda you know of that do this "normal" behaviour ? Can you name a few ?
Unfortunately if you do a search on the net, not just here, and search on "rumble strip vibration 1800 rpm" you will find MANY hits, almost 35000+ per Bing. Some are MB, Subaru, etc. most all 6-speed.

I get it under very specific conditions.

Cruising at 55-60mph with tach at 1800-1900, coast down for traffic at about 1100 rpm, going down a slight downhill drop, then SLOWLY regain speed with a slight uphill rise back to 1800rpm the rumble comes on. If I quickly regain speed from 1100 rpm, nothing. AND to top it off it only happens on one specific road at rush hour (hence the slow down speedup cycling). I know this cause it happens every time in the same area of the road. Nowhere else on that road for ten miles.
Now...
Drive the surface roads at 40-45mph and tach steady in the 1400-1800rpm range and nothing. EVER. there are very slight variances in the road as far as uphill downhill changes but it never happens on these roads. Maybe the trans never gets into 6th for long.:dunno:

My take is the grade logic programming (uphill downhill control) combined with the 6 speed auto gear ratio so darn close 4th: 1.065:1 5th: 0.754:1 6th: 0.556:1 the trans is confused about where it needs to be. The trans is in overdrive for a greater amount of time when it needs the power. So when you granpa it, the trans gets confused. Reaccelerate a little more aggressively to get back into a lower gear quicker and no confusion, no rumble. Even in my scenario.

It also can be made to disappear when the rumble starts, by lifting the accelerator quickly. I think i'm correct that when the accelerator is LIFTED it cancels the grade logic control.

by the way I have the Michelins which to me are the ROUGHEST NOISIEST tires. Coast in N on an off ramp at 50mph - cheese n'rice are they noisy. Maybe they cause a resonance at 1800rpm 55-60mph and the rumble gets enhanced ?

BTW the VCM is not engaged either since the cruising isn't long enough to see the MPG go to 45+ (my only indication it's engaged). Never felt the VCM kick in either when it does. So that's not part of the equation.

Well, if you stuck with me this long maybe it might help explain. I don't like rumble but at least I think it's explainable.

Miker

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well for me it happens at various speeds anywhere from 20 to 60 mph and that is why i dont think its a transmisson issue unless the entire shift range across all gears is f'd up but i doubt that. The reproduction however is the same as you described - gentle acceleration. And it goes away as you step on it or let go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does the vibration happen when moderately accelerating between 1500-1800 RPM in each gear or only when maintaining speed?
I would say that the vibration is there at 1500-1800 rpm's no matter what speed your driving. Once I speed up and get the rpm close to 2000 the vibration stops. So if your maintaining whatever speed your driving at but your rpm's are between 15-1800 you feel the vibration.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts