Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
You better buy 2. The reservoir plastic tank probably holds 1/4 bottle in itself. 1 bottle is not enough.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I read many user's post only need 1 gallon

but in the manual, it said 1.88 gallons

how much do I really need?
Yeah, 2 gallons and you'll have some left over.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,512 Posts
You'll have some left over, with two gallons (half gallon or so), but it's good to have some left over, just in case you need to add some later.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the first time i change it. The car come with green coolant when it's new.
Is it ok to mix it with the new honda blue coolant?

·
07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
315 Posts
when i bought 2 containers of the Honda coolant, i used almost 1 to fill it back up.

car new was green? well good to take this chance to switch it out with honda's oh so pretty sapphire blue coolant XD

(off topic - btw i love hacken lee!!)

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
when i bought 2 containers of the Honda coolant, i used almost 1 to fill it back up.

car new was green? well good to take this chance to switch it out with honda's oh so pretty sapphire blue coolant XD

(off topic - btw i love hacken lee!!)
How much you fill, depends on how much you drained.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,512 Posts
On the V6 there is a block drain that will let out more coolant. The 4 cylinder is just draining the radiator and reserve tank. Both should take more than one gallon to fill.

·
Registered
41 Posts
On the V6 there is a block drain that will let out more coolant. The 4 cylinder is just draining the radiator and reserve tank. Both should take more than one gallon to fill.

Where is this drain bolt on the block of the V6? appreciate the response.

I have a 2007 V6

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
The 4cyl has a block drain too, but I never use it when I drain/fill.

I think 2 gallons will do you. What are they, $4 each?

·
07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
315 Posts
yeah honda oem is like 15 each. even prestone is like $8. lol i only drained the radiator. i couldnt find info on how to drain the block.

but draining for me did get really messy. was tryin to get a pan to catch it off but it sprayed out . luckily i had a big cardboard that i use to cover the ground when i do changes (motor oil, transmission oil, etc) so it caught most of it and got soaked XD

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,512 Posts
Where is this drain bolt on the block of the V6? appreciate the response.

I have a 2007 V6
Just behind the passenger side front wheel. You should be able to see it on the rear side of the block. I could see it easier with the passenger front wheel off. It's not easy to get to, or loosen. There is a small nipple, that you can attach a hose, then loosen the bolt. If you don't use a hose, to direct the coolant into a pan, there will be a nice shower of coolant in the area. There is a certain procedure for changing the coolant, it's not quite as simple as drain and refill.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
but draining for me did get really messy. was tryin to get a pan to catch it off but it sprayed out . luckily i had a big cardboard that i use to cover the ground when i do changes (motor oil, transmission oil, etc) so it caught most of it and got soaked XD

I think if you were to remove the splash shield under the radiator, the coolant would drain more cleanly in a pan. I had the same problem with coolant going everywhere as coolant only has a small square slot to drain through.

·
Mom gives me money to stay away
175 Posts
Just did this on Honda accord 2006 4cyl with 133k. And I only used 1 gallon of it. Some of it did spill around the radiator and now there little steam around that area, usually goes away after couple of miles. But yea I only used 1 gallon of the Honda oem coolant.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Just did this on Honda accord 2006 4cyl with 133k. And I only used 1 gallon of it. Some of it did spill around the radiator and now there little steam around that area, usually goes away after couple of miles. But yea I only used 1 gallon of the Honda oem coolant.
Did you drain the block & heater core also or just the radiator ?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
If the car was facing down hill and your heater core was open (temp turned to hot), you should have gotten more.

·
Mom gives me money to stay away
175 Posts
If the car was facing down hill and your heater core was open (temp turned to hot), you should have gotten more.

Yea unfortunately, it was on a level surface and the heater control was no set to hot. Oh well.... Still got some of it out hahah.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
You'll be fine. Drain and fill again some other time when you can. I buy Walmart Supertech concentrate mixed with 1 gal of distilled water to yield 2 gal. Same ingredients as OEM blue, except for the color.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts