Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2012 I4 ex-l sedan and have noticed I drain 3.5 qts of engine oil and refill 3.5 qts. Dipstick always reads at the top hole / mark of the dipstick. I also know what I'm doing but just wondering if the dip stick could be incorrect.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Better change the filter too

·
Registered
194 Posts
Four days ago I changed my oil (7800mi on the Pennzoil Platinum 0w20, 74k on the car) and drained right about 4.2qt. My car does not appear to burn oil regularly (I check the oil every 5-7 days...there have been a few instances over the years when I had to add .2qt or so...little amounts here and there). That does include (for the most part) the oil left in the filter; I try to let the old filter drain out as much as possible into my catch container so recycling is less messy. I don't mind adding oil since I always have .8qts leftover from the 5qt jug ;-)

Bravo

Edit: my dipstick always reads the top dot with the recommended 4.2qt capacity. I check my oil after letting the car sit for 5-7min post-operation/drive...it is warm at that time.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I always just dump in the entire 5qt jug when I change oil. I always maintain just a little over the top dot on the stick and in 5K miles I add a half quart to maintain that level.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
My car (I4) takes a 4.4L jug = 4.649 Quarts.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
I didn't change my filter and it was a bit under 4qts drained which is right at spec.

Were you draining with the engine hot?

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Should take 4.4q or 4.2L with a filter change.

Attachments

·
4,708 Posts
^^ In 2010 the capacity changed by -.2 qt for the I4:

Capacity ('08-09 models)

At Oil Change: 4.0 L (4.2 US qt)

At Oil Change Including Filter: 4.2 L (4.4 US qt)

Capacity ('10-12 models)

At Oil Change: 3.8 L (4.0 US qt)

At Oil Change Including Filter: 4.0 L (4.2 US qt)

After Engine Overhaul: 5.1 L (5.4 US qt)

Since OP has a '12 it should be 4.2qt with filter change.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
^ I had no idea, interesting change! How does the dealer keep track, I doubt they check the model year lol.

·
4,708 Posts
They probably just dump in 4 qts and call it a day :) All the cars are going to be relatively hot and horizontal on lifts, so there's probably good consistency in how much oil gets drained out. If the oil is a bit below the full line or a bit over it won't matter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't change my filter and it was a bit under 4qts drained which is right at spec.

Were you draining with the engine hot?
yes - drained hot. I am going to recheck a few things - like the hot vs cold fluid level differences. so 4.2 qt and I have an actual volume replaced at 3.8 qt, (not 3.5 as stated above) after rechecking container.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts