Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find out how much hp my engine can withstand because I want to put in a STS turbo system, and I don't want to make my engine blow up(the twin turbo has been known to put out more than 280 hp). And does anyone know if this would be good?

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
The car already has crazy wheel hop. You want to add more power. The engine can withstand more of power than the transmission can, so how would you deal with that issue?

I don't want to kill your dreams, but this is a bad idea. It isn't very practical. And also, the engine/ecu is set up for cylinder deactivation. How would you work with that?

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
The car already has crazy wheel hop. You want to add more power. The engine can withstand more of power than the transmission can, so how would you deal with that issue?

I don't want to kill your dreams, but this is a bad idea. It isn't very practical. And also, the engine/ecu is set up for cylinder deactivation. How would you work with that?
Not to mention an automatic transmission at that heh.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Calm down, the wheel hop is not that much, I can get a different ECU that doesn't have cylinder deactivation or eco mode, and how much hp can the tranny handle.

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
Calm down, the wheel hop is not that much, I can get a different ECU that doesn't have cylinder deactivation or eco mode, and how much hp can the tranny handle.
1. Go look at a dyno chart for an Auto accord with a J35Z2.
2. I drive a 6-6 and im telling you, it has BAD WHEEL HOP! and to boot, we don't have LSD's.
3. Good luck with that new ECU. By the time you get everything set up, it'll cost you as much as a 2008/9 BMW 335i or a 2011 5.0 'Stang and they were designed to be performance cars from the start.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
How are we suppose to know if we never tried? Ask your boy since you say hes done it in his 03 and think it's similiar.

And YRMed isn't going crazy, he's just speaking the truth and bringing up the issues you will run into.

How do you think you can just pop in another ECU with no probs?

( Sorry if I sound like I have an attitude, I just come across like an asshole because I usually am )

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wow, If you can find me a ECU that deactivates VCM, sign me up!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Saw on SpikeTV this morning that there is a company that will give you a readout of the type of horsepower you can expect depending on your setup... check their website for the link.

That being said, I don't like the idea. Wheel hop is THAT bad already, just try driving in a straight line under full acceleration... would put big money on you not being able to do it. Also, if you do have an automatic, definitely dont do it... modded an Audi S4 quattro automatic and the car was never as smooth to drive and ultimately caused serious problems with the tranny.

Quite honestly, the best option for you would have been to buy a used rear wheel drive car like a 350z or mustang and then mod it out.

I do believe that there is a reason companies haven't been offering these types of upgrades and the reason has to be the fact that it is front wheel drive.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Internet
502 Posts
money-> awd conversion
new rebuilt motor, new exhaust
new tranny
twin turbo super charged

or...........
clean out everything and import lambo/ferarri parts and ghetto-rig them in there

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and the turbo is a UNIVERSAL remote turbo and has been done on automatic cars and the last gen accord.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Saw on SpikeTV this morning that there is a company that will give you a readout of the type of horsepower you can expect depending on your setup... check their website for the link.

That being said, I don't like the idea. Wheel hop is THAT bad already, just try driving in a straight line under full acceleration... would put big money on you not being able to do it. Also, if you do have an automatic, definitely dont do it... modded an Audi S4 quattro automatic and the car was never as smooth to drive and ultimately caused serious problems with the tranny.

Quite honestly, the best option for you would have been to buy a used rear wheel drive car like a 350z or mustang and then mod it out.

I do believe that there is a reason companies haven't been offering these types of upgrades and the reason has to be the fact that it is front wheel drive.

Good luck with your decision.
Can you tell me where you could find this, all I found on the spike website was a bikini of the week contest :p

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
and the turbo is a UNIVERSAL remote turbo and has been done on automatic cars and the last gen accord.
We aren't saying a turbo can't be put on an automatic transmission period, we are saying that an auto tranny won't hold up very long.

And good luck whatever route you go, I just highly doubt you will get anywhere with this. Post up results when you finish.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I agree with the lacking of LSD and the fact we have weak AT's in terms of tuning... however, on the topic of FWD being why mnftr's won't touch are car in terms of some serious engine mod's...well, locally in Indy, we have a strong showing of Mazda fanatics.. and yeah, a ton drive RX-7's (2nd gen) and RX-8's...but there are a nice handful of MS3 Hatch's around here that are in Stage 3 territory. Seriously some mean FWD beasts... TQ steer is their primary enemy. But holy-moly ... a very solid platform (I like the pre update MS3's from 2008-2009) to boost the heck out of, interior is also impressive (minimal, but solid).

My co-workers red '08 MS3 w/ a few bolt ons (CAI), stock turbo, and the engine management setup, he made like 295hp/340rwtq and ran a 13.4.

... these cars making amazing low end torque for a turbo'd 4cyl.

Hatches just aren't my style though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts