Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love the Sonic Gray color but I wonder if I can paint that color onto my car? And if so, how much would it be to paint the whole car?
Thanks.

·
HK Moderator
13,439 Posts
Maaco charges $299 for a whole entire car! There is a Star Paint near me that would charge you $8,000.

I hope that helps you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look into vinyl wrapping the car or using an air wrap coating such as RAAIL - Raail Protective Coatings - Removable Liquid Wrap Products.

To do a full color change with traditional paint including inside and out is going to cost well over $10k.
That looks like plasti-dip, or am I wrong?

Maaco charges $299 for a whole entire car! There is a Star Paint near me that would charge you $8,000.

I hope that helps you!
Do they have the exact paint code from Honda? Or they just guess it based on the color?

Thank you.

·
HK Moderator
13,439 Posts
Normally the "live free or die" part of me would tell you "your money your choice".....but....NO. No, do not repaint a brand new car. Not at a professional shop, not at a repair facility, not at home in your driveway. This is a new car. No.

Wrap it or Plasti-Dip? OK, you are experimenting and learning and it is cheap and won't affect resale. But actual automotive paint? No.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That looks like plasti-dip, or am I wrong?
It's a different product entirely than plasti-dip. Same idea, different formulation and install methods. Either way, you do not want to repaint a new car for a variety of reasons. If I was going to do a color change, I would do something like RAAIL so that it can be easily reversed.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,883 Posts
The newest Raail or AutoFlex or P1 coating will run you a good $1,000+ at least ,if installed by a certified professional. But that's way cheaper and reversible vs a full repaint on a brand new car.

Next time, make sure you're happy with your car's interior and exterior, before signing away however much money you paid for it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
All I'm going to say is that no matter how much you pay, it's very unlikely you'll get the same quality finish as the original factory... Not worth it in my opinion, ever. If you're going to pay 10k to get factory quality re-paint, you might as well sell it at a loss and buy the color you want. That would probably cost less.

If you wrap it, at least you can change your mind without destroying/removing the original paint.

Side note, I've never seen an Accord in Sonic Gray. Are we talking about a Civic?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Normally the "live free or die" part of me would tell you "your money your choice".....but....NO. No, do not repaint a brand new car. Not at a professional shop, not at a repair facility, not at home in your driveway. This is a new car. No.

Wrap it or Plasti-Dip? OK, you are experimenting and learning and it is cheap and won't affect resale. But actual automotive paint? No.
Thanks. I'm hesitated too. I asked the dealer to custom order my car with different color and they told me they can't do that. So here I am, having a car with the color I don't really like (not hate, but well...)

I will think about the wrap/dip road.

It's a different product entirely than plasti-dip. Same idea, different formulation and install methods. Either way, you do not want to repaint a new car for a variety of reasons. If I was going to do a color change, I would do something like RAAIL so that it can be easily reversed.
Gotcha.

The newest Raail or AutoFlex or P1 coating will run you a good $1,000+ at least ,if installed by a certified professional. But that's way cheaper and reversible vs a full repaint on a brand new car.

Next time, make sure you're happy with your car's interior and exterior, before signing away however much money you paid for it.
I don't hate it. There is no reason not to buy the car just because you are a little unhappy with the paint color... right? I have been eyeing it since 2018 model and hold off because of the tail light but I figure I can just replace it with the aftermarket one, so I get this 2020 one.

I asked them and it looks like they can't apply coating on a dipped car, so I think I will live with the original color for now and do clear bar/ceramic coat instead.

Side note, I've never seen an Accord in Sonic Gray. Are we talking about a Civic?
Accord doesn't have that color.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,883 Posts
I asked them and it looks like they can't apply coating on a dipped car, so I think I will live with the original color for now and do clear bar/ceramic coat instead.
What coating are you talking about? Who is "them"?

·
HK Moderator
13,439 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
You don't really need ceramic coating if the car is coated in an air wrap product. The air wrap protects the OEM paint underneath. Putting a ceramic coating on top of that is pointless.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,883 Posts
Yeah, there's no reason to ceramic coat a liquid wrap. You wash it and apply liquid wax once a week or so and you're good. Your original paint stays protected underneath.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What coating are you talking about? Who is "them"?
Who is "they"? Do they live?
View attachment 518590
I replied to grumpypolecat. "They" would refer to the company/product he mentioned in his post.

Yeah, there's no reason to ceramic coat a liquid wrap. You wash it and apply liquid wax once a week or so and you're good. Your original paint stays protected underneath.
I have read that dipping or liquid wrap is not dust resistance. The place where I work has a lot of dust and sand so I think I will stick with ceramic coat for now.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Dust is dust. It settles on any surface. Are there any true dust resistant surfaces?

You can have a gloss layer applied to air wrap just as paint. Wash as you would a normal car.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,883 Posts
A wrap is WAY more resistant to dust and sand than ceramic coating. Ceramic coating does NOT protect your paint from rock chips or debris on the car. At best it makes it easier to wash, and easier to get bird crap/tree sap off the paint. A wrap is a physical barrier between your car's original paint and the outside world. My car was side-swiped, and it only damaged the wrap. A ceramic coating won't do that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts