Registered
61 Posts
Wreckers - $100 to $150
or car-part.com

·
Chicago
1,047 Posts
Less than $50

(1) sand/grind all rust points to bare metal, prime and spray paint with matching color.
The purpose is to prent further rust.

(2) get a hood lip cover, not only covers the repairs, but brings a new look.

·
2006 Accord EX
1,190 Posts
I've the same issue...I was quoted $550. by a local shop.
That's going down to bare metal, new primer..the whole deal.
I might have it done within the next month or so.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Go to Walmart and buy some of their cheap auto paint and paint it yourself. It's a snap.

If you want a better job go to a paint shop and have them mix your car's color and put it in a spray can.

Rremove the hood yourself and take it over to Maaco and see what they'll charge you.

·
Chicago
1,047 Posts
I've the same issue...I was quoted $550. by a local shop.
That's going down to bare metal, new primer..the whole deal.
I might have it done within the next month or so.
Wow! A 15-year old car goes to body shops. There are a thousand items I'd rank before some hood rust. If you need a body shop for that, you need a new car, because even a minor body repair is likely to cost as much as the car.

When I got my 07v6, there were handreds of small paint chips near the hood lips, some started rusting. I used a micro Dremel tool with a grinding tip to grind off the rusted paint, and touched them up. Those repairs were not photo perfect, but not obvious from a few feet away, and stopped rusting. If left alone, rusted hood lips is a sure thing.

That area is about the easiest place for DIY, with unlimited access. The rust there should be shallow. You have the option to cover it up with a chrome trim piece, or with bumper scratch stickers once you get rid of the rust.

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts
Hood rust usually starts where the water drain hole is, or at the front edge of the hood, if you don't take care of it, then it will spread out. This was the rust on my hood. I cut open the metal, grinded off the rust, then put on 3 layers of POR15. I also touch up the front edge every summer. It's just not worth it to take a 15 year old car to a body shop to get anything done, the only exception is if someone hit you on the street and their insurance is covering it. This car is worth only $3000 at most in good condition.

·
2006 Accord EX
1,190 Posts
That area is about the easiest place for DIY, with unlimited access. The rust there should be shallow. You have the option to cover it up with a chrome trim piece, or with bumper scratch stickers once you get rid of the rust.
Not going to happen...ever.
Not a body shop guy and don't play one on TV.
It's fine.

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,717 Posts
If you need a body shop for that, you need a new car, because even a minor body repair is likely to cost as much as the car.

If left alone, rusted hood lips is a sure thing.
Speak for yourself Chicago. A 15 year old Accord here is still worth $4K in good shape - and that will be rust free. Rusted hoods are certainly not a “sure thing”.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a similar problem with my Honda Accord. My Accord was struck by a rock on the highway, and I've never been happy with the damage that the incident did to my hood. At this stage, I am going to leave my car the way that it is, because it really does not impact how the car drives, and I can't justify sinking too much money into the bodywork for a 14 year old car. If it really bothers you, getting a new hood (from a junkyard) might be your best bet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well thanks everyone for the answers. I considered buying the car in the picture but in the end decided not to. It's an 07 6-6 sedan that was for sale in my area and those are impossibly rare here in Canada. The car had no rust aside from that spot on the hood.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts