Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the past few days I've found myself in situations where I needed to really push my car to either avoid an accident, dodge debris or merge "swiftly" into traffic. Most of the time it's just a quick burst of maybe 3/4 throttle (stabbing the gas, if you will) or occasionally full throttle where the RPM climb to 6k+ (but not hit rev limiter) for a few seconds. I wonder how this affects the CVT? Sometimes someone else does something stupid that causes me to either have to swerve, slam on my brakes or something and I get a bit angry and just drop the hammer and get gone ASAP. The car doesn't complain and seems to not mind the occasional hard acceleration but every time I do it, I cringe slightly thereafter. Don't know why. Part of me feels like I'm beating on the car.

Also, I've always wondered if it's possible to have a mechanical over-rev situation using the paddles to downshift. Pretty sure the most "ratios" I've ever dropped down was three, and that puts the RPM right at redline. Would the electronic systems limit the RPM, even if you requested several lower ratios in rapid scuuceesion?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I feel the same way. I too wonder if I am wearing the CVT out faster when I accelerate hard. When I get on the freeway I tend to "floor" it. With all the problems with CVT's I hear, I always think I'm gonna hear the CVT break when driving hard. That said, I'm sure Honda tested the CVT through all sorts of situations to test its durability. I doubt they want another transmission fiasco from a decade ago.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do remember a thread in which someone mentioned a Honda tech stating that the CVT is "overbuilt" so I'm sure it's designed to handle it. And I suppose if it wasn't, the redline would be a bit lower. I hate lugging the car all the time to save a few pennies at the pump. Sometimes I just want o wring it out and have some fun, well as much fun as one can have with a CVT :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ha yeah. I think we will be fine.The CVT makes the car feel so light and quick to me. I came from a 2010 EX-L Sedan and that thing felt like a heavy tank it felt like the 5 speed auto was slowing it down.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I do it all the time and my car has served me without any issues whatsoever. Our CVT is a very good transmission - extremely reliable and it can definitely handle more power than what our Accords have.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Like any other car I only drive it hard when necessary to accelerate to merge with traffic and in an emergency to avoid a dangerous situation. I think the CVT is no different than any other automatic transmissions. Continually driving "hard" places extra stress on the entire drive train and the brakes when stopping from high speeds. Smooth, sane driving will increase the probability of longer drive train life with fewer repairs.

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
486 Posts
Smooth, sane driving will increase the probability of longer drive train life with fewer repairs.
So you are saying my 0-60 runs in 8 seconds from every stop light is a bad thing? :devil

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Also, I've always wondered if it's possible to have a mechanical over-rev situation using the paddles to downshift. Pretty sure the most "ratios" I've ever dropped down was three, and that puts the RPM right at redline. Would the electronic systems limit the RPM, even if you requested several lower ratios in rapid scuuceesion?
You can only cause engine damage by over-reving the motor in a true manual via a mis-shift. The computer controlled downshifting will never put you in a situation where you can cause immediate damage to the engine or transmission.

With that said, I used sportshift heavily in my TSX and the tranny started to act up at 60k.. I drove that car extremely hard... so the more wear you put on anything mechanical the less overall life you should expect.

You have to pay to play. :wink

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
2014 Accord EX white
208 Posts
when i get on it the only thing that makes me cringe is the gas going down....

i find my self having to go in to sport mode and being a little aggresive when there are dumb drivers on the road or ppl doing 35-40 in a 50 mph zone with 3 bus links ahead of them of no traffic..

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'm sure you didn't hurt it. I had a rental corolla with a CVT for about a month and I beat the living hell out of it. It still worked perfect when I returned it.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Ha yeah. I think we will be fine.The CVT makes the car feel so light and quick to me. I came from a 2010 EX-L Sedan and that thing felt like a heavy tank it felt like the 5 speed auto was slowing it down.
The tranny logic is self learning, so if you don't drive aggressively often enough then it will go into grandma mode where it will try to get in 5th gear as fast as possible, start out in 2nd gear, etc. I've had the tranny pleasantly surprise me where it actually held a gear even though I let off the throttle. I've also had the tranny annoy me going through turns where I want to power out of it and even with my foot planted it stays in 2nd.

If I know I need the power I manual shift it. Serves 2 benefits: 1) making sure it doesn't lock 2nd gear when it could take 1st 2) 7500 redline on second and third gear keeps on vtec for the next gear.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I think its somewhat on topic..

Does anyone else notice the CVT being a bit "jerky", if you will? Sometimes when I accelerate hard from a stop it somewhat catches and hesitates and catches again, if that makes sense? The same thing happens when I decelerate. Its almost like a rocking motion. I cant explain it, but i've never experienced it in any other vehicle. Seems to happen more often in Econ mode, but does still happen when not.

I'm not familiar with the performance of a CVT so any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've noticed a slight surge, if you will, under hard acceleration. It's not a jolt or a jerk, but a very slight "back and forth"sensation under acceleration. Always did it, so I assume it's normal.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Would you describe that "back and forth" sensation as say, driving a manual car, keeping it in 1st gear at high RPMs, then letting off the gas and getting the jerky motion?

I had this issue, had the TSB performed, got a new valve body (and new transmission fluid) and no more herky jerky! :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Would you describe that "back and forth" sensation as say, driving a manual car, keeping it in 1st gear at high RPMs, then letting off the gas and getting the jerky motion?

I had this issue, had the TSB performed, got a new valve body (and new transmission fluid) and no more herky jerky! :)
Yes! This is exactly the feeling. My last car was an 07' Mazda 3 MT and it is VERY similar to first gear at high RPMs.. Did you just take it to a dealer? Was it covered under warranty?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a "spirited" drive this weekend and have to say I was very happy with the 4 cyl & CVT. The car has much more usable power and handles so much better than my old Camry.

Our other car (kid hauler) is a Jeep Patriot with CVT. It has a good bit of rubber band like surging at take off. The Honda does not have any that I have noticed.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I think its somewhat on topic..

Does anyone else notice the CVT being a bit "jerky", if you will? Sometimes when I accelerate hard from a stop it somewhat catches and hesitates and catches again, if that makes sense? The same thing happens when I decelerate. Its almost like a rocking motion. I cant explain it, but i've never experienced it in any other vehicle. Seems to happen more often in Econ mode, but does still happen when not.

I'm not familiar with the performance of a CVT so any input is appreciated.
Yes, this is EXACTLY what my CVT does and it's one of the reasons I'll probably avoid CVT's in the future. There's been a lot of discussion about this topic on these boards but to be as concise as possible, here is how I would describe the acceleration dynamic in my Accord:

Accelerate nice and easy from 0-40...the CVT is very smooth.

Accelerate hard from 0-40...the CVT is confused, lethargic, and herky-jerky.

Accelerate nice and easy or hard (either one) from 40-80 and the CVT is very smooth.

So, for me anyway, the CVT is very good at anything other than hard accleration from a dead stop. That's where the CVT seems very unrefined, rough, jerky, and slow to respond.

But perhaps this is a good thing because hard accleration (all the time anyway) is not the best thing in the world for your engine, transmission, or brakes. In fact, it has actually changed how I drive now. I accelerate a lot more smoothly and gently from a dead stop because it means I don't have to deal with the confusion, slow response, and jerkiness of the 0-40 hard starts anymore.

Given the choice, however, I'd take a 6-speed standard AT over the CVT any day of the week, even if it meant a few less MPG's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts