Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. To be honest with you though, if you don't downshift going up a hill, then you don't know how to drive correctly. You need to lower gearing. I tried econ mode a little bit going to work this morning, it doesn't save a substantial amount of gas. I just usually leave it in normal mode and obviously use sport mode the other half the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
D mode tends to keep the rpm around 2K for best fuel efficiency, S keeps it at ~3K for most available torque. Cruise in D. Switch to S when you anticipate you are going to want to accelerate without waiting for the computer to read the gas pedal position, understand that you want more power, tell the gearbox to downshift, etc. etc.

In past, some cars had a kickdown button under the gas pedal. When you floored it, the button would tell the transmission to downshift. Dunno, maybe it is still a thing.

Other ride is an 04 CRV with manual transmission and none of that drive by wire business. Throttle response is real.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have driven and owned manuals for almost 30 years until I got my current 2017 Accord with CVT. I have never owned an automatic to get technical. My daily commute to work includes climbing almost 2,000 ft in about 8 miles then down about 1,500 ft. And then same thing on the way back home. I shift to S at the beginning of the climb up until about half way through the downhill part. Being used to downshift from 5th to 4th gear in manual transmission in those conditions, I use "S" like a downshift in hilly highway. When going downhill it allows letting the car coast at more or less the speed limit without having to touch the gas pedal or brake too often. I also use it when driving in hilly and winding roads and even downshift to "L" in places where I need to go slow for the same reasons, to let the engine keep the car at speed without having to use the gas and brake pedals too much.

So the short answer is quite often almost daily. The quick acceleration works wonders when going uphill and traffic suddenly changes in front of you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have driven and owned manuals for almost 30 years until I got my current 2017 Accord with CVT. I have never owned an automatic to get technical. My daily commute to work includes climbing almost 2,000 ft in about 8 miles then down about 1,500 ft. And then same thing on the way back home. I shift to S at the beginning of the climb up until about half way through the downhill part. Being used to downshift from 5th to 4th gear in manual transmission in those conditions, I use "S" like a downshift in hilly highway. When going downhill it allows letting the car coast at more or less the speed limit without having to touch the gas pedal or brake too often. I also use it when driving in hilly and winding roads and even downshift to "L" in places where I need to go slow for the same reasons, to let the engine keep the car at speed without having to use the gas and brake pedals too much.

So the short answer is quite often almost daily. The quick acceleration works wonders when going uphill and traffic suddenly changes in front of you.
I agree that sport mode is a lot like driving a manual car meaning that if you're on a hill, you can downshifting quickly. The transmission/engine holds the lower gear's until you figure out what you want to do. Also, throttle response is beautifully aggressive, and race car sharp! I do tend to use sport more more often than I did when I first got the car because it's just that much fun. I call the mode "type R" mode! Hahaha like I said, almost every aspect of the car sharpens up, and it's just so much more fun to drive! To ne, driving has always been, and will continue to always be fun, thrilling and engaging!

·
Registered
15 Posts
2018 touring 2.0 10 speed auto

I had my 2018 touring 2.0 10 speed auto Hondata tuned to level 2 at the Honda dealer in Austin, TX, so Sport is now the tuned version, and it's very zippy with it on. Don't even think about it on wet pavement. Even dry roads require slowly feeding it more and more gas as the gears climb upwards, unless you just like leaving your tires behind. :devil

·
Registered
164 Posts
Its pretty disappointing that Honda did not fully implement Sport Mode for CVT. When I reach a highway speed, I dont need the car to maintain high revs. I suspect this is not the case with the 2.0T.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had my 2018 touring 2.0 10 speed auto Hondata tuned to level 2 at the Honda dealer in Austin, TX, so Sport is now the tuned version, and it's very zippy with it on. Don't even think about it on wet pavement. Even dry roads require slowly feeding it more and more gas as the gears climb upwards, unless you just like leaving your tires behind. :devil
and trust me I know the feeling! when I'm in sport mode oh, and I just give him a little bit of throttle, I'll spin the tires easily into second gear! Basically, the sport 2.0 T is a tire roaster hahaha

Its pretty disappointing that Honda did not fully implement Sport Mode for CVT. When I reach a highway speed, I dont need the car to maintain high revs. I suspect this is not the case with the 2.0T.
Unfortunately you're right. The 10-speed Auto is buttery smooth!

·
Registered
875 Posts

I think you're confused by the point of a CVT transmission and sport mode. The point of sport mode is to keep the car in portions of the power band where the engine makes the most power and to maintain boost pressure. This is why on the highway in the 1.5 cars you can't access your "7th gear". If the transmission did what you want then the rpm would drop and you wouldn't have the power on tap that you expect with sport mode.

The CVT and sport button are at odds. CVT is designed for max mpg. The 10spd has the luxury of holding a lower gear at a higher rpm so that boost is available when you hit the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My answer to this question is conflicted. When we first bought the car, I tried Sport Mode and liked it. I have practically never used it since, and don't expect that I will (much).

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think you're confused by the point of a CVT transmission and sport mode. The point of sport mode is to keep the car in portions of the power band where the engine makes the most power and to maintain boost pressure. This is why on the highway in the 1.5 cars you can't access your "7th gear". If the transmission did what you want then the rpm would drop and you wouldn't have the power on tap that you expect with sport mode.

The CVT and sport button are at odds. CVT is designed for max mpg. The 10spd has the luxury of holding a lower gear at a higher rpm so that boost is available when you hit the skinny pedal.
Thanks for the first real info on this.
By power on tap, do you mean the I can give it gas on the highway and the car will not hesitate. My previous car was an TLX with the 2.4. When in Sport mode I could be on the highway and see the RPM drop automatically. Are you saying that the RPM is an allusion and that I am still being fuel efficient on the highway with that rev?

I know the difference is only about 300 to 500 rpm and perhaps my perception is impacted by the fake engine sound but I react as if the car is unnecessarily reving.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm not really sure what you mean. The CVT is always going to be more fuel efficient than a traditional automatic. But even in the automatic I wouldn't use sport on the highway because it keeps the engine revving higher so boost stays available and power is near instant. I turn sport on and off depending on the situation - passing people on a 2 lane highway I will turn it on. Once I pass and I'm continuing down the road I turn it off. If I'm on a back road with lots of turns and changing speeds I'll lend it on so I can accelerate out of corners.

Reactions: BuickNut

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used sport mode yesterday on my way home from work in my 9th gen. All back roads and one lane highways. It is snappy, but I have never had a problem passing cars in regular drive. The car does this with ease. I was on the highway last week doing about 80. I had to pass a tractor trailer to get by and get on an off ramp. In drive I gunned it and it flew by the truck effortlessly. I don’t use sport mode much, if at all. I don’t feel the need as the car has enough power. In snow I may try using it in sport. It seems the engine braking is more in sport with the higher rpms.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I used sport mode yesterday on my way home from work in my 9th gen. All back roads and one lane highways. It is snappy, but I have never had a problem passing cars in regular drive. The car does this with ease. I was on the highway last week doing about 80. I had to pass a tractor trailer to get by and get on an off ramp. In drive I gunned it and it flew by the truck effortlessly. I don’t use sport mode much, if at all. I don’t feel the need as the car has enough power. In snow I may try using it in sport. It seems the engine braking is more in sport with the higher rpms.
Yeah, sport mode on some highways especially when passing people or merging is perfect!
I'm not really sure what you mean. The CVT is always going to be more fuel efficient than a traditional automatic. But even in the automatic I wouldn't use sport on the highway because it keeps the engine revving higher so boost stays available and power is near instant. I turn sport on and off depending on the situation - passing people on a 2 lane highway I will turn it on. Once I pass and I'm continuing down the road I turn it off. If I'm on a back road with lots of turns and changing speeds I'll lend it on so I can accelerate out of corners.
I mean don't get me wrong, in normal mode the car can pass people easily, but yeah in sport mode mode, it becomes a vicious type r sedan! You're right, it's all situation dependent!

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is the answer I was seeking. Thanks for the clarification.

Sport, in my opinion, does not need to keep the engine revving at highway speeds. Is there a point to boost at 55+ MPH?

By keeping the engine revving, the car is not being fuel efficient. You are right, I can turn sport off but why should anyone have too do that when the sport mode can simply rev down at a specific highway speed.

I have not driven the 2.0T, does it operate the same?

I draw on my TLX experience in which the 2.4L I4 revs down in sport mode (shifts to OD).

Why cant the CVT 1.5 do the same?

Yeah, sport mode on some highways especially when passing people or merging is perfect! I mean don't get me wrong, in normal mode the car can pass people easily, but yeah in sport mode mode, it becomes a vicious type r sedan! You're right, it's all situation dependent!

In the CVT, I honestly feel no difference between normal and sport on the highway other than a noisy engine and revving. I am sure, however, that in the 2.0T is a screamer with a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
for the 10AT Touring, when you go into Sport mode and then use the paddleshifter, is it possible to go back into "auto Sport mode" from there?

From my experience, once you sue the paddleshifters, you're stuck in "manual sport mode" until you hit the Sport button again to go back to normal, then hit it again to go back to "auto sport mode".

I like to be in sport mode while driving and use the paddle shifters when i'm nearing a corner or turn but would like the auto sport mode to kick back in after a few seconds.

I guess that's what normal mode is like, but with normal mode I have to down shift quite a bit to have fun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The multi-quote button is here!

for the 10AT Touring, when you go into Sport mode and then use the paddleshifter, is it possible to go back into "auto Sport mode" from there?

From my experience, once you sue the paddleshifters, you're stuck in "manual sport mode" until you hit the Sport button again to go back to normal, then hit it again to go back to "auto sport mode".

I like to be in sport mode while driving and use the paddle shifters when i'm nearing a corner or turn but would like the auto sport mode to kick back in after a few seconds.

I guess that's what normal mode is like, but with normal mode I have to down shift quite a bit to have fun.
I can help you with this, I figured out that why you're in sport mode, and your paddle sequential mode, if you press and hold on one of the paddles usually the up shift paddle you'll upshift the transmission and go back into "Auto Sport mode". I figure, there had to be a way to do that! Because you don't always want to use the paddles; you just want to be in sport mode. And that's how you toggle Auto Sport mode, and manual sport mode! I certainly hope this helps you out!

As far as a 1.5 CVT sport model, I can't comment on this I was almost going to by 1, but the problem with the 1.5 CVT sport model for me, is there's no sunroof. That's a deal-breaker for me! I'm at open-air driving kind of a guy. I also wanted a stronger engine, so there were a couple of deal breakers for me so to speak. I've also never owned a car with a CVT transmission before. I've only owned manual cars before. The option to toggle sport mode, then paddle modes is a wonderful wonderful thing! Even in normal mode, the 2.0 T sport has so much to power, sport mode just makes it like I keep on saying type R mode.

In the CVT, I honestly feel no difference between normal and sport on the highway other than a noisy engine and revving. I am sure, however, that in the 2.0T is a screamer with a noticeable difference.
In the 10-speed Auto 2.0 T sport I definitely feel a difference between normal and Sport on the highway or everytime I'm driving. Sport mode is the most aggressive type of driving there can be in a sedan.

·
Registered
114 Posts

When you come to a stop it goes back into regular sport mode.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts