Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
When you come to a stop it goes back into regular sport mode.
No, if you're in manual sport mode, and come to a stop, the transmission shifts back down to 1st gear. You get out of manual sport mode by either pressing and holding on one of the paddles, or going back to normal mode.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Need some LSD...
105 Posts
Its pretty disappointing that Honda did not fully implement Sport Mode for CVT. When I reach a highway speed, I dont need the car to maintain high revs. I suspect this is not the case with the 2.0T.
Then why did you buy this trim?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't use it on the 1.5 CVT right now as it never seems to automatically move to "position" 7, which drops the RPM.

I have asked the dealer if this is normal but as yet I don't have an official response.
It is designed to keep RPMs up to be in the powerband.

Being a highway driver 80% of the time, I'd like to have the instant throttle response of sport mode on all the time but don't like how when it's on, and I'm cruising on the freeway at 70mph, Sport mode keeps the RPMs about 300rpm over normal and econ mode. If I'm cruising at that speed, it'd be nice to have the RPMs lower to save on fuel a bit.
So this is when you turn Sport mode off.

I just mean letting off the throttle. It seems to drag the car down faster than the other modes...when I see a red light ahead I'm the guy whoa-ing up early to time it just right so I don't have to stop.
I just let off the throttle. I see so many people accelerating to a red light

It's pretty disappointing that Honda did not fully implement Sport Mode for CVT. When I reach highway speed, I don't need the car to maintain high revs. I suspect this is not the case with the 2.0T.
No this is when you turn off Sport mode.

I used sport mode yesterday on my way home from work in my 9th gen. All back roads and one lane highways. It is snappy, but I have never had a problem passing cars in regular drive. The car does this with ease. I was on the highway last week doing about 80. I had to pass a tractor trailer to get by and get on an off-ramp. In drive I gunned it and it flew by the truck effortlessly. I don’t use sport mode much, if at all. I don’t feel the need as the car has enough power. In snow, I may try using it in sport. It seems the engine braking is more in sport with the higher RPMs.
9th gen is not the same as it doesn't have a turbo so it feels completely different. You don't want to use it in the snow as it makes it too responsive and will spin the tires.

@eric38.shwartz unless asked a direct question don't respond to every post just to increase post count. That's not the correct way to do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay, so I know this is a very user pinion ated question, but how often do you sport mode in your car? The reason I ask is because I usually try to use sport mode just around my local town or if I have to do rapid acceleration quickly. I don't like using it on the highway cuz I feel like it kills gas mileage...

I like never use sport mode in my Accord Touring. Actually I think they are a total waste. I would much rather Honda had spent the money on side mirror proximity sensors. I noticed the new Accords have them. That is really my only complaint with my car. I have to be very careful when switching lanes because the coupe has a terrible blind spot.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I like never use sport mode in my Accord Touring. Actually I think they are a total waste. I would much rather Honda had spent the money on side mirror proximity sensors. I noticed the new Accords have them. That is really my only complaint with my car. I have to be very careful when switching lanes because the coupe has a terrible blind spot.
I mean don't get me wrong, I understand your feeling. However, sport mode is where the car is at though. Makes the car feel more lively, lighter and more fun and aggressive!

·
REV29K
556 Posts
I mean don't get me wrong, I understand your feeling. However, sport mode is where the car is at though. Makes the car feel more lively, lighter and more fun and aggressive!

Note that Sport mode didn't make as much of a difference before the 10th Gen came along, some of the replies to this thread are from owners of 9th gens or earlier.

IMO, I would have liked if the 10th Gen stayed in Sport mode after you turned the car off and restarted. For me personally, I'm pretty much in Sport mode most of the time. I don't like the programmed in, slow throttle response, that you get in Normal mode, and never use ECO mode which makes the car feel extremely too slow to changes in throttle input.

I'm a good candidate for an ECU reflash like Hondata or Ktuner, but am pretty happy with the stock power (in Sport mode).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Note that Sport mode didn't make as much of a difference before the 10th Gen came along, some of the replies to this thread are from owners of 9th gens or earlier.

IMO, I would have liked if the 10th Gen stayed in Sport mode after you turned the car off and restarted. For me personally, I'm pretty much in Sport mode most of the time. I don't like the programmed in, slow throttle response, that you get in Normal mode, and never use ECO mode which makes the car feel extremely too slow to changes in throttle input.

I'm a good candidate for an ECU reflash like Hondata or Ktuner, but am pretty happy with the stock power (in Sport mode).
Yes, fair enough! I apologize to that comment. Some of the owners here are 9th and 8th generation Accord Sport owners! yeah it would be great if it started off in sport mode, but I don't mind toggling it when I need to, on demand or whenever I'm in the mood to. I mean yeah also gettingthe car is ECU tune would be nice but it's like at least five hundred bucks for quality decent tune. as it is,in Sport mode if I give it a little bit of throttle, I spin the front tires so quickly and easily.

In my opinion, the one other thing that most car manufacturers have unfortunately falling into you from the government is fuel efficiency. Case in point, the rare v6 engine in lieu 2 liter 4 cylinder engines with massive turbos on them. for us gearheads, having the power output of the Type R engine is beautiful but I feel slightly bad for the 1.5 CVT models. at the end of the day, the one thing the government doesn't understand is it's all about the power to weight ratio.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
In my opinion, the one other thing that most car manufacturers have unfortunately falling into you from the government is fuel efficiency.

What does that even mean? Are you using a translation software?

·
19 EX-L 2.0 Obsidian Blue
53 Posts
Since there are many more 10th gen owners that have joined Drive Accord in the last 1.5 years since the last post on this topic, I'm curious what the current reading on Sport/Normal/Econ use is amongst my fellow 10th gen owners:

• Engine - 2.0
  • Trans - 10 sp auto
  • Percent of time in each driving mode:
    • Sport - 10%
    • Normal - 90%
    • Econ - 0%
  • Paddle Shift % 0%
For me, Econ dulls response far too much. Sport transforms the car but, the tires break loose more often and it entices me to drive in a more spirited manner. Which is ok under the right driving conditions, but I'm mostly suburban-urban driving so Normal splits the difference quite nicely.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I seldom use the sport mode after getting my ktuner. I just drive in regular Stage 1. That feels awesome to me. Like this is how the car should be stock. But every now and then i hit the sport mode button just to feel like I've got power.

Reactions: Samuelx

·
Avid "Accord-ist"
2020 Accord EX-L 2.0T
16 Posts
... how often do you sport mode in your car? ... I usually try to use sport mode just around my local town or if I have to do rapid acceleration quickly ...
OK, Mister Curmudgeon here. I have a 2020 EX-L 2.0T and we really get along. The car is almost always driven in Econ mode, but learning about and using Sport seems like a reasonable exercise (because, like Everest, it's there).

After 11 or so months, I'm still learning and not close to really getting the idea. Meanwhile I have more than once read from what seem to be authoritative writers that these days modern automatic transmissions like the one on the 2.0T are so good and so efficient that's most humans will rarely if ever do better that they can. I still play with it when time and temperament allow, but other than a marketing plus for dealers, it seems no big deal.

Does anyone really think that a typical Honda Accord buyer is in this for the thrills?

I am 79 but do use it occasionally on Shields Rd, my play road.
I'm 77 but catching up (lame pun).

·
Registered
2020 Accord EX-L 1.5T
33 Posts
I know it is not technically a full "Sport mode" on my EX-L 1.5T CVT, but clicking the shifter down to the S position definitely makes a difference when I need to stomp on the gas a bit to jump into an opening in heavy traffic. The transmission seems to offer a slightly lower gear ratio from a stop, which makes a noticeable improvement in acceleration. Otherwise, living in endless, flat, suburbia, I don't use the lower gear positions much.

As for Econ mode, it makes the car too lazy for the traffic I drive in. I just leave the car in non-Econ mode, where the balance of the smaller engine getting fairly decent gas mileage and the extra response compared to Econ mode is perfect for me for daily driving.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
...I'm curious...
I'll bite.
  • Engine - 1.5
  • Trans - 6MT
  • Percent of time in each driving mode:
    • Spirited- 5%
    • Normal - 94.5%
    • Econ - 0.50%
As a member of the manual cult, I like to believe that my car is in sport mode all the time. I've toyed with ECON, but generally found that with a manual, it just affects climate control and slightly hampers my cold start/cold weather acceleration off the line. In my 2014 2.4 manual, I ran ECON for months at a time and saw little difference in MPGs, but felt the performance loss. I have just under 20k on my 2019 Sport and have probably driven about 1500 miles with ECON on in the first 2 months, and never again since.

I could do with like a 10% power increase, so Ktuner may be the way to go in the long run. Buyers remorse over not getting the 2.0 is pretty rare, but it does come and go.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Touring - Pearl White/Ivory
5 Posts
I like the throttle response but it lingers in lower gears too long sometimes. Most of all, it firms up the dampers on the touring and I live in SC ( the shittiest roads in North America) and I'm afraid I'm going to bend a wheel or knock it out of
alignment on one of the 3 million pot holes or patches on patches lucky SC drivers get to face everyday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the 1.5 and I‘ve only used it only 2 times. I hate how the steering feels in sport mode. Once my car reaches about 5K miles I will put it in sport mode and punch it just to see what it can do. I’m not a speed demon so I’m more into getting good mpg with a little bit of power. I don’t want a slow car, just don’t need a fast one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have used it last than 10 times on my 2019 hybrid, but I liked it very much when I used it and glad it was included.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use sport mode fairly often on my '18 2.0 EX-L when I want to drive fast. Before kids, I had a GTI, RSX Type-S, 200sx SE-R, and Sunfire GT (in reverse chronological order). The 2.0 Accord is the fastest car I've had, yet has enough room for my family of four. With sport mode, I value the superior throttle response and engine braking. I love being able to lift off the throttle to stop accelerating or slow down and then get back on the throttle without having to wait for the transmission to get back into the right gear. With the tires on the EX-L, however, I've found that I spin the tires too much when accelerating onto the highway from a stop, so I have to leave it in normal. Apparently traction control is less aggressive in sport mode.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts