Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'm new to Honda.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sending in my second claim form at 35k miles. My first one was greatly delayed because I had the first set of pads replaced in September '09 and had to wait for settlement to be finalized and funds released last summer. I got a reply in the mail stating "we got your claim form" the first time around but it was a couple of months after that I got my check. But now that it's up and running I'm wondering how soon to expect a check once I send it in? :dunno:

·
Registered
99 Posts
did mine in november, got it some time in december. only did 1, at 15k miles so far.

didnt think u had to do it again?! i thought the first would've fixed it

·
I'm new to Honda.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did mine in november, got it some time in december. only did 1, at 15k miles so far.

My first was the original "non-improved" pad at 17.5k miles. So, right around 17.5k miles later they wore out again. The improved pads went on this week.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Never bothered with it. I wasn't going to put the same OEM crappy pads on, that the suit was created for. Went with Lifetime pads from Auto Zone.
Perhaps I just run lucky (...at 90,000 on original - OEM - pads/rotors et al...).

I wonder what happened between generations to cause so much grief, bad vibes and general hate and discontent.

It would appear prudent to avoid GenVIII and delay new car until IX............

Again, damn shame.

ez....

·
Acura CU4 V6
296 Posts

Damn, I also did mine brakes and sent the form on November (with aprox 12k mi) and still have not received anything.... Is there anyway I can check the status of this? :dunno:

·
Registered
154 Posts
i called today. they said oh well it shipped on dec 14...today.

not sure i believe them. they also said they only refunded me $88 but i know used the new honda pads and should have gotten $150. what gives?

·
Acura CU4 V6
296 Posts
I also called this afternoon and they said it got sent out on Dec 9th and the check still outstanding / not cashed, since I never got it. Thankfully they will re-issue a new one, but unfortunately it will take another month :mad:

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Perhaps I just run lucky (...at 90,000 on original - OEM - pads/rotors et al...).

I wonder what happened between generations to cause so much grief, bad vibes and general hate and discontent.

It would appear prudent to avoid GenVIII and delay new car until IX............

Again, damn shame.

ez....
Driving style def has a lot to do with it. I'm like you, I'll go years and darn near 100K before I even think about brakes. Likewise, when I traded in my 06 with ~36,000 miles, the brake pads were fine. Maybe 1/2 half used. But, when I traded my 08 ~29K, the brakes were shot front and rear. Was it me? . . . . Now wtih my Mazda, ~40K, pads and rotors still look new. Nope, wasn't me. :D It has to be the material composition of the 8th gen pads/rotors that's causing these performance and longevity issues.

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
"11'"" Brakes

Does anyone know if this issue was corrected on the 2011 Sedan models or do we have to look forward to this in the future as well? It would seem smart for Honda to listen to people and after shelling out money in refunds and settlements, not to mention lawyers ,that the new models will no longer have this issue at all? Should I start really listening around 12-15K for premature brake wear?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Does anyone know if this issue was corrected on the 2011 Sedan models or do we have to look forward to this in the future as well? It would seem smart for Honda to listen to people and after shelling out money in refunds and settlements, not to mention lawyers ,that the new models will no longer have this issue at all? Should I start really listening around 12-15K for premature brake wear?
I wonder about this also.
Someone posted that they went to Autozone and got lifetime replacement brake pads after the originals wore out.
Sounds like somewhat of a solution at your own expense, but don't the rotors also wear out super fast on these cars? Does Autozone or some other place sell lifetime rotors too? Extra hard long-life brake pads will make the rotors wear out even faster than they do already.
Hopefully, Honda has changed their suppliers and have more durable parts installed so this issue is in the past. Unfortunately, it sounds like they don't want to believe there is any problem that needs fixing other than giving a one-time check to shut up complainers.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I wonder about this also.
Someone posted that they went to Autozone and got lifetime replacement brake pads after the originals wore out.
Sounds like somewhat of a solution at your own expense, but don't the rotors also wear out super fast on these cars? Does Autozone or some other place sell lifetime rotors too? Extra hard long-life brake pads will make the rotors wear out even faster than they do already.
Hopefully, Honda has changed their suppliers and have more durable parts installed so this issue is in the past. Unfortunately, it sounds like they don't want to believe there is any problem that needs fixing other than giving a one-time check to shut up complainers.
It is only with late 2008, 2009 and early 2010 models.

2011 models are not affected by it, as Honda has updated parts.

Unfortunately for the the early Gen 8 replacements, some were never upgraded properly until Honda updated all inventorys at the dealers locations.

Getting proper brake pads is not an issue with Honda any more. Though I prefer buying better performance replacements from a auto parts store.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Will this work in Canada as well?

·
Registered
836 Posts
is it too late to do it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received my first $150 about 3 weeks after filing for the rear brake job with the original defective pad (the improved pad was not available). Then I filed another claim for the improved pad replacement just before the settlement expiration and received the second $150 in about 3 weeks. You may only file it within 3 years after the in service date.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What number are are you guys calling, I sent in my forms almost six months ago and still havent heard anything, i would like to follow up but I havent seen a number anywhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What number are are you guys calling, I sent in my forms almost six months ago and still havent heard anything, i would like to follow up but I havent seen a number anywhere.

I'm in the same boat as you. Actually completely forgot about it until someone brought it up.

I believe this is the # 1-888-398-8211

·
Registered
32 Posts

It would appear prudent to avoid GenVIII and delay new car until IX

Again, damn shame.

ez....
ehh...but the 8th gens are so damn SEXY! easily the best looking model since the accord has been in porduction IMHO. 6th gen are quite the looker as well. never was a fan of the 7...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bought AutoZone DGC1336 rear pads, filed claim on 2/20/11, received letter today 5/12/11 stating that my claim is DENIED because I missed the filing date of 11/29/10. WTF!! They have things like "place this form in your glovebox for your next rear brake job" and "up to three years" so why the denial? My only guess is that they posted a date of August 30th on the settlement site (accordsettlement.com) and the deadline was 90 days. Anyone else run into this? I'm going to call the 888-398-8211 number that came on the letter and ask what's up. Seems like a very short window of opportunity!

·
Manong
806 Posts
Bought AutoZone DGC1336 rear pads, filed claim on 2/20/11, received letter today 5/12/11 stating that my claim is DENIED because I missed the filing date of 11/29/10. WTF!! They have things like "place this form in your glovebox for your next rear brake job" and "up to three years" so why the denial? My only guess is that they posted a date of August 30th on the settlement site (accordsettlement.com) and the deadline was 90 days. Anyone else run into this? I'm going to call the 888-398-8211 number that came on the letter and ask what's up. Seems like a very short window of opportunity!
I got the same pads from AZ & I also got the same letter the other day...I thought we had 3 years from purchase date of the vehicle. I purchased my car May of 08. Anyway I emailed the arbritrators in San Francisco. Waiting on a reply...if I ever get one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got the same pads from AZ & I also got the same letter the other day...I thought we had 3 years from purchase date of the vehicle. I purchased my car May of 08. Anyway I emailed the arbritrators in San Francisco. Waiting on a reply...if I ever get one.
Called the 888 "customer service" number on the website today. This is a strange settlement indeed. Only the use of aftermarket parts has the November 29, 2010 postmark deadline. If you were to use the "approved" Honda rear brake part number, you still can file a claim for reimbursement. Same goes for if you have the work done at a dealer. But if you go out and use aftermarket pads and try to file a claim after 11/29/10, like I did, you will be SOL. Oh well, win some and lose some I guess. I still could snag a comp set of Honda pads, but now having the AZ pads with a Lifetime warranty, I don't see much to gain by doing that. I think I will also email the arbitrators as well, and then I'm done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts