Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

How rare is my new to me 2004 Honda?

8K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  chieftom43 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe with HFP package. It has sun roof and Navigation. One owner , lady driver, garage kept , south Texas car. Having to catch up on a few maintenance items as she wasn't as good keeping up with those items as she was appearance. Love the way it looks and drives.

I recently purchased a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe with HFP package. It has sun roof and Navigation. One owner , lady driver, garage kept , south Texas car. Having to catch up on a few maintenance items as she wasn't as good keeping up with those items as she was appearance. Love the way it looks and drives.
I didn't mention it is the 3.0 six cylinder, with six speed manual trany.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The V6 engine mated to a manual transmission makes it fairly rare.
If you don't mind me asking, why does "lady driver" matter? I see this all the time and it's quite rude in my opinion. I'm a lady and drive my car no differently than many of my male counterparts. Plus, you needing to do some catch-up maintenance is the reason why I would go out of my way to avoid such a title! 🤣

#4 ·
Maybe, it's definitely a spectrum, I baby my car but my sister hardly knows that cars need oil changes. I'm sorry if that came off as rude, I'm trying very hard to get that designation to become obsolete.
Anyway, it's a beautiful car, so congratulations!

#47 ·
...but my sister hardly knows that cars need oil changes...
This applies to a lot of people I know lol

It's still an old Accord.
My thoughts as well. The car is indeed rare in that there are few like it, but that rarity probably has no influence on value other than to the person who owns it.

I say enjoy the car, you obviously bought it because you wanted it. As the owner of a 2019 accord with manual transmission, I know that I have one of the last of it's kind. When I had my 1995 and my 2014, I would always look to the newer models with desire and longing, there was always something better than what I had. Now with the death of the manual accord, things will likely feel different. Yes, I have a 1.5 and will still lust after the 2.0, but I won't look at a 2023 and say "I wish I could be driving one of those" because they won't be available in stick.

My AHA moment with nicer cars was when a friend let me drive his Audi TTRS, and again with a co worker's 2020 Genesis. They were both auto with paddle shifters. Sure, they were fast cars and it was a thrill to feel the acceleration, but the paddles felt vestigial and distracting. The experience overall was stale and felt more like an arcade game than a sports car. Without divine intervention, there will never be another manual accord, and manual sedans are fading fast. It is no longer about efficiency or speed, the enjoyment from driving stick has been reduced to the way it feels to shift the gears. Nostalgia is all it has left for me, but that's enough to keep one in my garage for the rest of my life.

Tesla has toppled the stop-light drag racing hierarchy as anybody in a 50k electric car can smoke pretty much anything offered with an ICE. Your 6-6 Accord is not valuable or remarkable, but it is and will continue to be special to you. Make it last, good luck.

Reactions: TX Accord
#6 ·
Welcome, and congrats on the new ride!

As for rarity, it's not going to end up in Barrett-Jackson anytime soon, but around here, at least, we all appreciate it for being among the more desirable Accords.

#13 · (Edited)
It's still an old Accord.
Not all Honda cars were created equal. Well...in terms of used car value goes. 2009 S2000 with 35k miles just listed for $37k USD.

As far as OP's "Lady" comment goes, I see no wrong. Statistically and historically men drive more aggressively and have higher change of getting into troubles, and that is how ALL insurance companies apply their insurance premium rates.

#19 ·
For sure. The reason there a mechanics all over the place is because people in general (men and women) haven't the slightest idea how to care for their vehicle. My daughters both know how to maintain their vehicles with their own hand tools and they also know how to not get BeeEssed by a mechanic. "How is this so" you may ask? Because I shared my experiences and what little I know with them. My wife, on the other hand can't even tell if a tire is flat or not while driving. I have more male friends that don't know a wrench from a screwdriver than do. I wouldn't assume a lady driver means the car was gently treated and I also wouldn't assume a male driver means the vehicle was maintained properly.

#21 · (Edited)
You never said how many miles are on it - unless I missed that part.

My kid still drives my '03 V6-6spd HFP Coupe as his daily driver, at about 204k on it now. Beautiful car, fun to drive, easy to maintain except the timing belt which should be done every 105k or so. (Car is in my signature!)

As for how rare it is, there probably are not too many factory HFP's running around, but as people have pointed out, it is still an Accord. Maybe if its completely mint with less than 25k on it, someday it might be deemed something somebody will pay extra for, but I wouldn't count on that.

#29 ·
You never said how many miles are on it - unless I missed that part.

My kid still drives my '03 V6-6spd HFP Coupe as his daily driver, at about 204k on it now. Beautiful car, fun to drive, easy to maintain except the timing belt which should be done every 105k or so. (Car is in my signature!)

As for how rare it is, there probably are not too many factory HFP's running around, but as people have pointed out, it is still an Accord. Maybe if its completely mint with less than 25k on it, someday it might be deemed something somebody will pay extra for, but I wouldn't count on that.
Has 109k

#22 ·
A 6-6 Coupe in good condition is definitely worth something. Mid-2000s cars are coming into vogue as they approach 20 years old.

The value will certainly go up, but it is still an Accord, it probably won't pass 10k unless you put it in a garage now, and don't take it out for another 20 years.

#26 ·
You got the special variant cover of hondas. The condition and fun factor of being an order 66 is why you bought it right? It's very nice, and it is rare for a 7th gen accord. (Not a word associated with accords often) theres probably way more of those than 87 chevettes on the road these days. I dont suggest you buy one of those, unless you feel like asking girls if they want to take a ride in your vette, and watching their faces. I think you found a beautiful example, and spend many miles enjoying it. I think as a driver with a 2 door 6 speed v6 honda with all the bells and whistles, you did pretty good.

#31 ·
Congrats on the low mileage/clean purchase. Change all fluids including clutch hydraulics! That is always the most neglected fluid imo on these.

It is just a very common vehicle, “Accord” as we all know. The ones’ with the 6 do take pride in the hidden gem typically.
Personally, enjoy driving my one & only inconspicuous vehicle with a grin.

#32 ·
Congrats on the low mileage/clean purchase. Change all fluids including clutch hydraulics! That is always the most neglected fluid imo on these.

It is just a very common vehicle, “Accord” as we all know. The ones’ with the 6 do take pride in the hidden gem typically.
Personally, enjoy driving my one & only inconspicuous vehicle with a grin.
How is that 6-6 sedan tho.
That might be an actual rare care.

#33 ·
If I had posted this on a forum for all cars I would better understand the comments I got, but I entered it on the Honda Accord 7th generation sub forum where people who own these cars might agree my car a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe with V-6 and Manual trany with HFP package , sun roof , and Navigation was a fairy rare bird. Based on one of the comments I received just being a V-6 with manual put it in less than 2% category. When you add in the other factors it would seem it would be reaching very rare territory. That said it's still an Accord so may not be a collector item that is worth a ton of money. The same holds true for my 1990 Buick Reatta. Rare because they only made about 21000 of them in the 4 years they were made but still do not bring collector money.
My Accord for a 16 year old car is in what I would call Pristine condition . A one owner until I purchased a few days ago by same lady owner who was very gentle with it. One example would be as her husband told me she would never touch a control button on the white lettering , only on the side of the button. He also said he was only allowed to drive it on rare occasions under close supervision. So the car is nice. I need to check on the wheels as one member pointed out do not seem to be the HFP package wheels. Had to catch up on a few maintenance items like the power steering pump was leaking and needed replacing which had caused the front of engine motor mount to fail, also rear brakes needed replacing. I love the way it drives and look forward to some nice cruises in the Texas Hill Country.

#36 ·
It is a rare car in the sense that most people do not have an Accord Coupe, V6, with a six-speed manual transmission. Sure, it is a Honda Accord, but the vast majority of 7th generation Accords you see out on the road are sedans with automatic transmissions. With all of that being said, I don't think that the intrinsic value of a 6-6 Accord is significantly more than a regular Accord. Of course, the asking price for the 6-6 combination has gone up over the years, but I would never expect it to be the type of car that ends up at car shows. I would encourage you to enjoy it, but not to stress over keeping it in perfect condition with the hope of it being worth significantly more in the future. I used to have a 2004 6-6 Accord, and I let it go for somewhere around $3,000 at 145,000 miles.

#40 ·
I like how he put it. Essentially, it’s a rare Accord, not a rare car. Why? The Accord back in the day sold around 350-400k units a year. Even at 2% take rate, we are looking at thousands of them each year for what, 2003 through 2007.

What would be a more rare Accord, was the 6 speed manual sedan, as those were only available in 06-07 I believe.

Is there any Accord trim / trans combo that’s more rare than that? I don’t think so.

#38 ·
The navigation is nothing to get excited about. I have it and wish I could remove it. If the sun shines on it you can't read anything. If you actually want to use it you have to purchase the updated maps every year for $100+. I'd never use it because my phone does a better job.

Me personally, I don't like the look of the coupe and wouldn't consider buying one unless I could flip it for a profit. But you're not me. Enjoy the car bro.

#39 ·
Did it have HFP package , sun roof, and Navigation?
It had a sunroof, but no HPF package of navigation. All in all it was a very well speced Accord EX-L. I would have kept it if not for mechanical issues that I could not solve. I hope that you keep and enjoy your Accord for a long time. If it was well maintained, it should last you a good long time!

#41 ·
Coupe had this setup V6-6 speed from 03-17.
The sedan could be had only in the V6-6 speed from 06-07.
2012 up had the 6-speed sedan but only matched to the 4 cylinder; I have been corrected previously.

2-4K 06-07 sedans is my guess with the V6 manual.
500 HFP per year is what was advertised for U.S sales. So around 7k originally in the wild?
And very few of us care; the bourbon fad is much more “in”atm.
Enjoy the car and the fact you found one of the few still road worthy.

#42 ·
All 7th gen 6-6 had Moonroof, because the 6-6 was only available on the EX Trim level, and, since at least the 4th generation of Accord, the EX trim level has included moonroof, power windows, power locks, power etc, 4 wheel disc brakes, as standard equipment. I'm speaking as a person who has grown up with Honda's, and who's mother owned a 1st gen, 2nd gen, 4th gen, and 6th gen Honda Accord.

When it comes to the navigation, the 06-07 would be better, because you can still get updated navigation discs. They stopped making updated navigation discs for the 03-05 Navi in 2014. Plus, the 06-07 shares the same Navi system as the TL, and you can relatively easily add a back up camera.

I see the previous owner got the accessory metal shift knob, wear gloves, you will burn your hand on that it the summer. But, from what I have seen of Texas cars, the paint appears in decent condition. I'd recommend doing an interior detail, the leather looks a bit worn and neglected.

Reactions: Das Chicken
#46 ·
I see the previous owner got the accessory metal shift knob, wear gloves, you will burn your hand on that it the summer.
This is a often repeated warning. A metal shift knob does not get so hot to need gloves. I have used metal knobs on several cars and never required gloves to drive hot or cold.

#49 ·
I appreciate all the reply's to my post. Took a while but I did end up getting many reply's I was expecting when I posted the question. I think the consensus was it it a fairly rare Accord for that year. What I consider to be more rare is the condition of this 16 year old car. You could only evaluate that by seeing this car in person and driving it, not my poor quality phone photo's. I have owned many cars in my 77 years on this earth. I purchased my first car when I was 17 for $100. This car likely never spent a night outside in it's life. The headlight covers and tail lights look like new, the glass is perfect. The paint is very good. The interior is excellent and only the drivers seat looks to have been used. This is not my daily driver. Estimate driving it 3-4 K a year. Because of it's desirability, an Accord 6-6 with all the bells and whistles, and excellent condition, my goal would be to enjoy it for a few years and then be able to recoup most all of the money I have in the vehicle when I sell . I have been successful in doing this with a few other vehicles but not always. Only time will tell if I'm successful this time.

#50 ·

I didn't mention it is the 3.0 six cylinder, with six speed manual trany.
Was it washed with the-bucket of rocks method? It's pretty beat up. I'd say that the old lady was really a 17 year old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.