Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
BDFR3NT
29 Posts
Duuude, sounds so much better. In my 2014 however The ANC was literally right there when I removed the pocket.

I tested it to see if it was really better by playing some loud music and plugging and unplugging it. Makes a world of a difference bass wise.

I am finally looking forward to putting my subs in, was getting wicked feedback when I had them installed initially.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I talked to Honda service people when I took delivery of my 2016 EX. One of the guys mentioned that ANC may affect "active engine mounts", is that even a thing? I had no idea Accords have active engine mounts/dampers. It may also "throw a code", which was not the case with anyone here.

I would love to disconnect my ANC.

·
Cruisin'
407 Posts
I talked to Honda service people when I took delivery of my 2016 EX. One of the guys mentioned that ANC may affect "active engine mounts", is that even a thing? I had no idea Accords have active engine mounts/dampers. It may also "throw a code", which was not the case with anyone here.

I would love to disconnect my ANC.
The Honda Service guy was not telling the truth. This thread has been active for around for 3 years and from what I have seen, no one has mentioned the things the Honda Service guy said.
The people here will post risks and details when they do something to their car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Didn't see a clear answer, but I kinda got crosseyed after looking at this thread and the metra one for a while.

Unplugging that plug on a 2013 EX-L V6 with no nav will completely disable ANC. I don't have to cut wires or unplug the rear mic, correct?

I'm going to probably add another microphone anyway, not real happy with the built-in one anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When looking at the block diagram, I noticed that only 1 wire goes from the ANC computer to the head unit, while the others go to the amplifier. Since the HU sends a clear signal to the amp, I think if I cut the wires coming from the ANC to the amp should leave that signal out as if the car was stopped and with the engine off, thus disabling the ANC function without needing to wrinkle anything. I'll be putting it to the test in my coupe in the coming weeks... unless someone who knows their stuff (I really don't know the first thing about electronics, I've just been experimenting with my car successfully so far) tells me not to do it :grin

·
Registered
792 Posts
When looking at the block diagram, I noticed that only 1 wire goes from the ANC computer to the head unit, while the others go to the amplifier. Since the HU sends a clear signal to the amp, I think if I cut the wires coming from the ANC to the amp should leave that signal out as if the car was stopped and with the engine off, thus disabling the ANC function without needing to wrinkle anything. I'll be putting it to the test in my coupe in the coming weeks... unless someone who knows their stuff (I really don't know the first thing about electronics, I've just been experimenting with my car successfully so far) tells me not to do it :grin

Unplug the module and quit thinking about cutting wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
The way things are looking, I might as well just pay for the install. But I've read terror stories about installers disabling the ANC by disconnecting things they shouldn't and people losing their handsfree bluetooth and suchlike... I guess I'll just have to be less lazy and just disassemble the center console... and hope that the SVC is not controlled by the ANC unit. :scratch:

·
Registered
186 Posts
The way things are looking, I might as well just pay for the install. But I've read terror stories about installers disabling the ANC by disconnecting things they shouldn't and people losing their handsfree bluetooth and suchlike... I guess I'll just have to be less lazy and just disassemble the center console... and hope that the SVC is not controlled by the ANC unit. :scratch:
And if it is? I disabled my SVC right away. It's not needed, I can control my own volume.

·
Lifelong Honda Enthusiast
27 Posts
But I've read terror stories about installers disabling the ANC by disconnecting things they shouldn't and people losing their handsfree bluetooth and suchlike... :scratch:
Happened to me! Apparently the microphone for ANC shares the same harness as that for handsfree. I took it back to the installer, and they fixed it. Sort of. Now my phone can hold a call over the car's infotainment system for no more than two minutes. Coming home from a road trip this weekend I spoke to a friend at length as a means of experimentation. In a half hour's time we went through 17 calls each averaging a minute and thirty seconds before the phone lost contact with the infotainment system. The phone's connection to its cellular network always's remained intact. This happened regardless of whether or not I was connected via CarPlay or Bluetooth. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I think it's a safe assumption that this has something to do with the microphone. I just think it's odd that a call will manage a connection for as long as it does before quitting. Why would it work at ALL before dropping?

I'm in the waiting room at the installer right now as I write this. I'm beginning to regret everything-- the installation of the aftermarket system, and ultimately, the purchase of this car. I like the car very much in most respects. But I drive 30K miles per year (sales) and I want good sound and I NEED connectivity.

Sucks.

Edit: The installer built a relay from the aftermarket unit that interfaces the stock system to the amp. All seems to be well now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm just kind of OCD when it comes to keep all of the original functions. While I never pay attention to SVC and, indeed, can control my own volume, it's gonna bug me forever to know that it's gone as an unintended consequence and not my own decision. ANC is a different story because all of us agree that it's a nuisance. In any case, as I said that only applies to my own project: clearly, people are free to not care about SVC.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,548 Posts
I must have some pretty big hands, as I could not disconnect it from the passenger side access, nor the cubby access alone. I had to pull on the harness from the passenger side, and push on the clip from the cubby access to get mine disconnected. NO WAY I was doing that one handed.

Guess we'll see if the scrapes on my hands and wrists were worth the hassle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
remove your dome light and under the liner on the drivers side you should feel a single wire, pull on it and look at the rear mic if its moving it should twist. The wire is pink. just snip it and your rear mic where the anc picks up the noise will unusable. The front mic in the glasses storage map light area, remove it with 4 philips screws 2 inside the map light and 2 where the glasses go, the wire is the darker white almost like an almond color and thicker than the rest, snip it and all is well, its attached to blue socket. Everything will still work, rear camera, Bluetooth & hfl. I am not responsible for any damage you do. I tried to unplug the rear mic and creased my headliner.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
ANC Removal 2017 EX-L V6

For anyone who is reading this far, I removed the ANC module in my 17 EX-L V6. I followed the instructions to get at it from the tray removal. The HFL module was not there so it must have been moved after the 2013 model. Only the ANC module was in place, which I popped out by unscrewing the two 10mm bolts. I then unplugged the module. I could have rebolted it back in, and will do so when I sell the car but didn't think of it. My hands-free microphones tested out fine. No problems. I noticed increased clarity through stock speakers. Bass is still very weak so I want to put in a powered sub.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For anyone who is reading this far, I removed the ANC module in my 17 EX-L V6. I followed the instructions to get at it from the tray removal. The HFL module was not there so it must have been moved after the 2013 model. Only the ANC module was in place, which I popped out by unscrewing the two 10mm bolts. I then unplugged the module. I could have rebolted it back in, and will do so when I sell the car but didn't think of it. My hands-free microphones tested out fine. No problems. I noticed increased clarity through stock speakers. Bass is still very weak so I want to put in a powered sub.
Yep.. I simply unplugged the ANC too (17 Touring). The sound is much "clearer" without ANC. Some say they hear more engine or road noise. But I did not experience anything noticeable... Besides the music drowns out any of that.

Please keep us posted on what Powered Sub you decide on and how easy the install goes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great thread and thanks for all the info. I installed an amp and sub in my 2016 EX. I clipped the wire by the dome light/sunglasses holder and pulled the one from the mic in the back. The loud hum is gone except when I use the remote start.

Anyone else notice this? Before I go through the hassle of tearing into my dash to unplug the ANC module, I want to see if anyone else has noticed the remote start triggering the ANC.

·
Legitimate hack
1,596 Posts
Great thread and thanks for all the info. I installed an amp and sub in my 2016 EX. I clipped the wire by the dome light/sunglasses holder and pulled the one from the mic in the back. The loud hum is gone except when I use the remote start.

Anyone else notice this? Before I go through the hassle of tearing into my dash to unplug the ANC module, I want to see if anyone else has noticed the remote start triggering the ANC.
Your mistake was clipping wires in the first place. Should've just disconnected the module behind the cubby. I have zero hum but I also don't have remote start.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Your mistake was clipping wires in the first place. Should've just disconnected the module behind the cubby. I have zero hum but I also don't have remote start.

We tried that first but we weren't able to positively identify the ANC module and didn't want to start unplugging things willy nilly. The installer and I were more positive that clipping the wires would work and he knew how to get to them. In the interest of time, we took the easy road.

If unplugging the unit would definitely solve the hum with remote start, I'd be more willing to tear into the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

301 - 320 of 320 Posts