Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should apply to all these vehicles
2017 Honda ACCORD HYBRID SEDANHYBRIDVariable
2015 Honda ACCORD HYBRID SEDANHYBRID, HYBRID (EXL), HYBRID (TOURING)Variable
2014 Honda ACCORD HYBRID SEDANHYBRID, HYBRID (EXL), HYBRID (TOURING)Variable
2014 Honda ACCORD PLUG-IN SEDANHYBRID (PLUG-IN)Variable
2015 Honda ACCORD SEDANEX, EX-L, EX-L (NAVI), EXL-V6, EXL-V6 (NAVI), TOUR (V6)6 Speed Automatic, Variable
2014 Honda ACCORD SEDANEX, EX-L, EX-L (NAVI), EXL-V6, EXL-V6 (NAVI), TOUR (V6)6 Speed Automatic, Variable
2013 Honda ACCORD SEDANEX, EX-L, EX-L (NAVI), EXL-V6, EXL-V6 (NAVI), TOUR (V6)6 Speed Automatic, Variable
How do I disassemble the mirror without breaking anything so that I can see if an internal DIY repair is possible?
A replacement is here. Add in alignment of the LaneWatch camera and replacement costs $500 even if I do install labor myself.
Are there any kits which would let me reuse the skull cover, camera, glass, signal light, etc.
Most aftermarket parts are black and require painting to mach which I would like to avoid.
I see that the camera is available separately so there must exist instructions for changing the camera. Those instructions should be very helpful, but I have been unable to find them. I have tried youtube videos of similar models and trim levels, but they all seem to be illustrating a different unit. From the replacement part website, I cannot even verify that the diagram they show is for the correct part.

There is no broken glass, the power adjuster, camera, turn signal, and heater all work normally. It even sits perfectly in place at the correct location. But if I wiggle it and lift up, it separates from the base at the hinge. Still connected only by wires. Now the mirror folds with very little effort. But the range of motion is correct.

Between oncoming car veering over centerline and trash bin in the road, my passenger side mirror (and the bin) took the hit.

I noticed a hole in a small panel on the bottom of mirror base. Insert screwdriver, use as handle to slide panel open.
Revealed a large "push on" fastener on a plastic tube. The tube passes through a spring. The tube is the part that broke.
I still do not know how to disassemble the shell or 'skull'. Until I figure that out or someone posts here, I'll try a hacky fix.
Superglue. The spring needs to be compressed between the 2 pieces that need to be glued making things difficult. I decided to remove the push on nut, which is tricky because they are not push off nuts. They are intended for permanent installation. I got something that would let the tube pass through but not the nut. Then hammered on the tube till the nut came off. The thing I used was the tow loop from a 2008 Honda Pilot that had to be removed when I installed the trailer hitch.
Next step, TBD(To Be Determined). All out of superglue. Continued tomorrow. I am a bit concerned about the fumes from superglue making the camera lens permanently cloudy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This should apply to all these vehicles
2017 Honda ACCORD HYBRID SEDANHYBRIDVariable
2015 Honda ACCORD HYBRID SEDANHYBRID, HYBRID (EXL), HYBRID (TOURING)Variable
2014 Honda ACCORD HYBRID SEDANHYBRID, HYBRID (EXL), HYBRID (TOURING)Variable
2014 Honda ACCORD PLUG-IN SEDANHYBRID (PLUG-IN)Variable
2015 Honda ACCORD SEDANEX, EX-L, EX-L (NAVI), EXL-V6, EXL-V6 (NAVI), TOUR (V6)6 Speed Automatic, Variable
2014 Honda ACCORD SEDANEX, EX-L, EX-L (NAVI), EXL-V6, EXL-V6 (NAVI), TOUR (V6)6 Speed Automatic, Variable
2013 Honda ACCORD SEDANEX, EX-L, EX-L (NAVI), EXL-V6, EXL-V6 (NAVI), TOUR (V6)6 Speed Automatic, Variable
How do I disassemble the mirror without breaking anything so that I can see if an internal DIY repair is possible?
A replacement is here. Add in alignment of the LaneWatch camera and replacement costs $500 even if I do install labor myself.
Are there any kits which would let me reuse the skull cover, camera, glass, signal light, etc.
Most aftermarket parts are black and require painting to mach which I would like to avoid.
I see that the camera is available separately so there must exist instructions for changing the camera. Those instructions should be very helpful, but I have been unable to find them. I have tried youtube videos of similar models and trim levels, but they all seem to be illustrating a different unit. From the replacement part website, I cannot even verify that the diagram they show is for the correct part.

There is no broken glass, the power adjuster, camera, turn signal, and heater all work normally. It even sits perfectly in place at the correct location. But if I wiggle it and lift up, it separates from the base at the hinge. Still connected only by wires. Now the mirror folds with very little effort. But the range of motion is correct.

Between oncoming car veering over centerline and trash bin in the road, my passenger side mirror (and the bin) took the hit.

I noticed a hole in a small panel on the bottom of mirror base. Insert screwdriver, use as handle to slide panel open.
Revealed a large "push on" fastener on a plastic tube. The tube passes through a spring. The tube is the part that broke.
I still do not know how to disassemble the shell or 'skull'. Until I figure that out or someone posts here, I'll try a hacky fix.
Superglue. The spring needs to be compressed between the 2 pieces that need to be glued making things difficult. I decided to remove the push on nut, which is tricky because they are not push off nuts. They are intended for permanent installation. I got something that would let the tube pass through but not the nut. Then hammered on the tube till the nut came off. The thing I used was the tow loop from a 2008 Honda Pilot that had to be removed when I installed the trailer hitch.
Next step, TBD(To Be Determined). All out of superglue. Continued tomorrow. I am a bit concerned about the fumes from superglue making the camera lens permanently cloudy.
Did you ever figure out how to reinstall that push nut? Am having trouble trying to get it back on!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts