Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out guys! Had some fun on the weekend with some buddies and wanted to make a quick vid before winter.

·
Banned
546 Posts
This will probably be locked soon because the "mods" do not like any type of supporting "wreckless" behavior

Nice vid though

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its actually not wreckless at all. Its in a parking lot, away from people, with absolutely no one behind me so the worst thing that could happen, is I break something on my car.

Thanks though :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
What exhaust do you have on there? It sounds great :yes:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What exhaust do you have on there? It sounds great :yes:
Its a Greddy Racing Ti-C catback exhaust with a cat delete, resonator delete, and silencer delete. If you wanna hear the different combinations of my ehxuast, check out my other video.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
School parking lot?

·
Registered
190 Posts
This will probably be locked soon because the "mods" do not like any type of supporting "wreckless" behavior

Nice vid though
It's even worse than that recently. I saw a story on the news about a guy posting a video of himself driving quickly around NYC and the police track him down and arrest him. Supposedly he is going to face some jail time. Not saying this is the same or that either video was particularly dangerous.. or more dangerous than half of the other stuff you see on youtube.. just saying: interesting times we live in.

On a side note, the cops here don't really care how empty the parking lot is (speaking from personal experience here).

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i'd have to agree with you 6eHonda cuz where i live, as long as what you're doing isn't dangerous, they dont give a shit. You could pull the legal card and say that the parking you're doing a j-turn, drifting, burnouts,.. in is private property, meaning they can't issue you a ticket under the Highway Traffic Act.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
You are right.

OP, do you have explicit permission from the legal owner of the facility this parking lot? I highly doubt it, which means you are trespassing as a minimum, police can also charge you with "stunt driving" unless you were showing off on your own property, which again I doubt is the case.

You do know what "stunt driving" charge will cost you in Ontario, right? Immediate roadside 7 days license suspension and 7 day vehicle impoundment, add the towing and impound fees, plus the legal costs, all of sudden this is not so much fun anymore.

Have a read of this link from the government of Ontario http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_070455_e.htm

Definition, “stunt”

3. For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “stunt” includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:

1. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground, but not including the use of lift axles on commercial motor vehicles.

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.

3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.

4. Driving two or more motor vehicles side by side or in proximity to each other, where one of the motor vehicles occupies a lane of traffic or other portion of the highway intended for use by oncoming traffic for a period of time that is longer than is reasonably required to pass another motor vehicle.

5. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.

6. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver’s seat.

7. Driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit.

8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing,

ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver’s sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,

iii. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway, or

iv. making a left turn where,

(A) the driver is stopped at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal system in response to a circular red indication;

(B) at least one vehicle facing the opposite direction is similarly stopped in response to a circular red indication; and

(C) the driver executes the left turn immediately before or after the system shows only a circular green indication in both directions and in a manner that indicates an intention to complete or attempt to complete the left turn before the vehicle facing the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection in response to the circular green indication facing that vehicle. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 3.
Just idiotic......

Go join a drift club or something similar and do this kind of things in a controlled and sanctioned environment, rather than trespassing on someone's property.

Thread closed.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Yeah i'd have to agree with you 6eHonda cuz where i live, as long as what you're doing isn't dangerous, they dont give a shit. You could pull the legal card and say that the parking you're doing a j-turn, drifting, burnouts,.. in is private property, meaning they can't issue you a ticket under the Highway Traffic Act.
"Pull the legal card"? Are you a lawyer now too? Hope you don't find out the hard facts the hard way, it'll get very expensive quickly.

See this http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/2947327-man-charged-with-stunt-driving/ which occurred in a parking lot.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
In the interest of providing full disclosure of factual information, I've since found this link http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-shopping-centre-parking-lots/article4216574/ which states Ontario is the only province in Canada where the legal rules of the road does not apply to parking lots.

So perhaps the Stunt Driving charge cannot (easily) be laid since this occurred in Ontario, although I wouldn't put it past law enforcement to make an example of someone doing silly stunts in a private parking lot without authorization.

HOWEVER, this does not make what OP did in a third-party owned parking lot without authorization any less unacceptable, it's trespassing as a minimum and I expect the owner can request charges to be laid by the police if OP and his buddies are identified by local residents etc.

OP had sent me a PM today requesting this thread to be re-opened, it will not be, not unless OP can produce documented proof the owner of the parking lot gave explicit consent to OP and his buddies to use the parking lot in the manner as shown in the video.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Furthermore, Markus has given consent to post his PM below:

Markus said:
Hey,

Re: stunt driving in parking lots

It turns out you can be charged for this. A friend of mine was here in Ottawa. Charges laid by Ottawa Police Service. Lost his car for a week. He was practicing "skid recovery" in a snow covered Canadian Tire parking lot on Coventry Road. He went to speak to a prosector and had the charges "reduced" to dangerous driving.

I have spoken to police officers about this. I was told that while stunt driving charges are certainly possible most of the time they just warn the driver depending on driver attitude. If there is damage caused, whether to the car or to private property such as a light pole in a parking lot, then stunt driving and/or dangerous driving charges are sure to be filed.

Might want to mention that dangerous driving is a Canadian criminal code offence and may be applied anywhere, even parking lots.

Cheers,
And I have re-opened the thread, hopefully we will see some sensible comments from the members.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Section 249 of the Criminal Code of Canada; Dangerous operation of motor vehicles, vessels and aircraft

249. (1) Every one commits an offence who operates

(a) a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature, condition and use of the place at which the motor vehicle is being operated and the amount of traffic that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be at that place;

I could get charged with this offence only and only if i did not have regard to all the circumstances. Meaning if I executed a J turn right in front of a Wal-Mart (for example) where there are customers/people walking in and out, this would be dangerous driving. However, it was not. It was at rear of a large parking lot with no vehicles/people to endanger, to also be on private property.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
Section 249 of the Criminal Code of Canada; Dangerous operation of motor vehicles, vessels and aircraft

249. (1) Every one commits an offence who operates

(a) a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature, condition and use of the place at which the motor vehicle is being operated and the amount of traffic that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be at that place;

I could get charged with this offence only and only if i did not have regard to all the circumstances. Meaning if I executed a J turn right in front of a Wal-Mart (for example) where there are customers/people walking in and out, this would be dangerous driving. However, it was not. It was at rear of a large parking lot with no vehicles/people to endanger, to also be on private property.
No. No. No. You could get charged with it just because the officer wanted to charge you. You'd then have to fight it in court at considerable expense. It happened to my friend and he lost. The officer just has to claim there was a pedestrian around and then it comes down to your word against his/hers in court and guess who will win that argument. Not you.

Also, the title of your thread is wrong. The video shows you doing J turn, it does not tell anyone how a J turn is done. :)

·
Banned
546 Posts
In the interest of providing full disclosure of factual information, I've since found this link http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-shopping-centre-parking-lots/article4216574/ which states Ontario is the only province in Canada where the legal rules of the road does not apply to parking lots.

So perhaps the Stunt Driving charge cannot (easily) be laid since this occurred in Ontario, although I wouldn't put it past law enforcement to make an example of someone doing silly stunts in a private parking lot without authorization.

HOWEVER, this does not make what OP did in a third-party owned parking lot without authorization any less unacceptable, it's trespassing as a minimum and I expect the owner can request charges to be laid by the police if OP and his buddies are identified by local residents etc.

OP had sent me a PM today requesting this thread to be re-opened, it will not be, not unless OP can produce documented proof the owner of the parking lot gave explicit consent to OP and his buddies to use the parking lot in the manner as shown in the video.
So what was it Avio: 1) He sent you the documented proof or 2) You were WRONG? :dunno::lmao:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well considering i have it on video, and the building has video surveilance, i dont think that my word against his will be an issue. It will show that the officer's credibility will be shit when i have these and present them in court.

yes i can agree with your second statement. The video was executing the j turn instead of an instructional video, in the description, i outlined how to perform a proper j turn. :)

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
"instructional" haha...in case you're ever being chased by terrorists and need to escape quickly, of course ;)

At least in the US, I'm not sure of the legality of parking-lot antics. I'm sure with a good enough lawyer, you could get whatever charges tossed (pretty much true of every traffic infraction). It seems kind of silly that you couldn't practice snow driving in a parking lot. I used some empty public roads (literally...empty: dead end streets with no buildings built yet) to test out the Honda traction control in the rain. Spoiler alert: you have to be driving like a complete moron to exceed the traction control's capabilities.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
So what was it Avio: 1) He sent you the documented proof or 2) You were WRONG? :dunno::lmao:
No OP did not send me any proof, I found the additional info myself, which I could have not posted, but I presented it none-the-less, as I said, full disclosure.

I'm sure with a good enough lawyer, you could get whatever charges tossed (pretty much true of every traffic infraction).
Sure, at considerable expense even if the charge was dropped.

If someone wants to learn the life lesson the hard (i.e. expensive) way, then go right ahead, just make darn sure you don't cause any injury to anyone else in the process, because you WILL pay dearly.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm forced to agree with the second part about making sure you don't cause injury to anyone else, because that is the biggest thing. You can hurt yourself all you want, but as soon as you hurt someone else, its gonna be a shit storm!

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
I think the message is that if you're going to do something like this in a parking lot (in Ontario at least) is to be prepared for police to charge you and be prepared to spend quite a bit of money and time to defend yourself. I say this because this HAS HAPPENED in Ontario.

I'm forced to agree with the second part about making sure you don't cause injury to anyone else, because that is the biggest thing. You can hurt yourself all you want, but as soon as you hurt someone else, its gonna be a shit storm!
Also make sure you don't damage your own vehicle or ANY other property. Remember that in Ontario you MUST report vehicle damage over $1000 to police and you must report damage to other people's property. These are the circumstances in which dangerous driving charges are almost certain to be laid.

When I was rallying on roads closed to the public and I damaged my rally car I HAD to make a police report. I would not be charged with anything after making the report because of the nature of the event but if that report had not been made I could have been in a lot of trouble.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts