Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pick a set of these rims for $45h and they all have crub rash. So I was looking to see if anyone could help me out with how to fill them in and to get all smooth. What products am i going to need . Iam going to paint them a darker color haven't decided what yet.

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
1. Sand the *curb* rash down.
2. Apply a metal filler anywhere that needs it.
3. Sand the metal filler down until it is nice and smooth and even with the rest of the wheel.
4. Apply primer.
5. Apply paint.
6. Apply clear coat.
7. Enjoy your fresh new wheels.

·
Registered
941 Posts
1. Sand the *curb* rash down.
2. Apply a metal filler anywhere that needs it.
3. Sand the metal filler down until it is nice and smooth and even with the rest of the wheel.
4. Apply primer.
5. Apply paint.
6. Apply clear coat.
7. Enjoy your fresh new wheels.
Out of curiosity, about how long does something like that take?

·
Registered
375 Posts
2-3 hrs per wheel minimum. Use power equipment if you can, you will shave off 45mins or so.
Use a lot of primer, make sure it dries properly and wet sand between coats, #400 grit.
Follow the directions on the finish coat, I used Duplicolor wheel coating. The top coat of color and clear all have special dry times between coats. Follow them exactly, don't take short cuts or your clear will become yellowed, or the color will lift.

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
If you factor in drying times between coats for the primer and paint and clear coat you are probably looking at closer to double the previous poster's time estimate. The sanding steps are the most important and most time/effort consuming. I did it all by hand though, no power tools. I refinished an old set of Volk wheels and it took me almost a month but I only worked on them a few hours each weekend.

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
I started with 240 then moved to 400. Remember, when sanding you just want to remove the high spots in the curb rash, not make it totally smooth. The metal filler is used to fill in the low spots and once you sand that, it should be nice and level and smooth.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
search:

autogeekonline.net
autopia.com
youtube

1 - 9 of 9 Posts