Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2007 Accord Sedan LX I4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - Please see the pic below. There is a little body damage rust spot right on the edge of the gas cap compartment. I'm not 100% sure the best way to fix this. Any suggestions would be super appreciated. I've had my 2007 LX since January 2011. It only has 85K on it and since I drive around only 800-1,000 miles a month I hope to have it in excellent shape for years to come. Thanks in advance.

·
6th Gear
765 Posts
The best thing to do is to get all the rust out of the chips as you possibly can, then use a q-tip to dab some primer into the chip followed by touch-up paint.

On a related note, I was recently detailing my car a week or two ago when I bent down and was shocked to find all this oxidation and discoloration (i.e., dark colored spots on my taffeta white) of the roof inside the gas filler area! It's thus an excellent idea to keep all inside surfaces surrounding the gas filler area waxed, including the rear side of the painted gas door lid itself.

·
2007 Accord Sedan LX I4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MW for the info, sounds like good advice. One question: Any thoughts on how best to remove the existing little bit of rust? It's such a small area I'm afraid of sanding more than just the rust itself.

Also, interesting info about the roof off the gas cap compartment. I would've never thought to look and being a pretty tall dude likely never would've seen that. I just checked mine though - no rust, oxidation or anything.

Good idea about keeping that area waxed when doing the rest of the body, if you're in a climate that has streets treated when there is snow/ice I could see the compartment possibly gathering the typical residue you don't want the body exposed to.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I don't even see any rust.

·
2007 Accord Sedan LX I4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, that picture isn't the best. I think it was too bright out and the rust just somehow ended up shining. I just looked at it though - definitely rust in the pitted areas.

·
6th Gear
765 Posts
Since the rust area is so small, you might want to first try removing the rust with the pointed end of a needle or the corner of a razor blade. This would enable you to reach the tiny areas with precision.

If there is rust there, be sure to remove all rust as you possibly can, even close to the edges of the chips. This is to minimize the possibility of having the rust continue underneath the applications of primer and/or touch-up paint.

We have seen many older Hondas having body rust around and below the gas door lids, so waxing the areas would help slow or prevent it from starting (especially if you live in the snow/ice belts, yes).

On a related note, the opened gas door on my 7th does not want to stay open. It moves freely on its hinge, so I suspect the spring in the mechanism is defective. I've inquired with my Honda dealership about getting a new spring mechanism, but that would also mean getting an unpainted gas door lid as well. As I could not use the factory-painted gas door lid separately, I learned to live with its defective spring.

·
2007 Accord Sedan LX I4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, yes, good idea, I think this would be a perfect job for my X-Acto Knife Thanks! Didn't even consider that.

On a side note, I haven't had any problems with the lid freely swinging on the hinge, but in the last year or so I've noticed sometimes when pushing the lever to open the lid (the lever on the floorboard next to the door) it will not open the compartment lid. I simply press it again and it works, so it's entirely possible it's just me not pressing the level down hard enough.

·
6th Gear
765 Posts
If you ever find, one day, that the interior release lever fails to open the gas door, despite repeatedly pushing it, you can open the gas door (in an emergency) by peeling away the trunk inside liner and getting to the actual cable release that way.

Just another of the valuable insights I have learned from fellow DA members!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts