Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

How to go to Accessory mode to keep radio on after engine shutdown?

41K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  gsdcampos 
#1 ·
Is it possible to keep the radio on after I turn the car off? On my previous car, the radio would stay on until the driver's door was opened.

#2 ·
Turn engine off, press start button once with foot off the brake.

Reactions: Otruv3
#6 ·
YES! This drive me crazy. All the other cars that I have owned did this.
I usually don't jump out of my car the second I turn it off.
It would be nice to be able to still listen to the radio as I am putting on the sunshade and grabbing my belongings.
I need to try that neutral trick.

#10 ·
This is a problem with the 2018, 2016 and 2015 Honda Accord Touring cars. Not only does the radio turn off, the GPS and phone connections drops off.

I agree, these functions should stay on until the door is opened.

#11 ·
This is a problem with the 2018, 2016 and 2015 Honda Accord Touring cars. Not only does the radio turn off, the GPS and phone connections drops off.
Loved @03LXV6's tip. Had no idea.

Put the car in neutral first then turn off. I don't own one but I just searched on found out that's how people keep accessory mode on.
Now I park and keep jamming while I shave before heading into work. Love it.

#17 ·
2018 Accord - ONLY turn off engine

This might be a dumb question, but I went 13 years between vehicles and a lot changed in that time.

Is there a way, on a push start, to ONLY turn off the engine and keep the interior on? With a key, you could just turn one click back and keep everything on. Just curious and figured someone had to know.

Thanks!

#19 ·
This might be a dumb question, but I went 13 years between vehicles and a lot changed in that time.

Is there a way, on a push start, to ONLY turn off the engine and keep the interior on? With a key, you could just turn one click back and keep everything on. Just curious and figured someone had to know.

Thanks!
You have to turn off the engine by pushing the button to off but you can enter accessory mode by hitting the Start/Stop button WITHOUT pressing in the brake after the engine is off.

At least you should be able to.

#24 ·
Or get the hybrid.Park, Neutral-with-brake, and Accessory are all pretty much the same for the radio and GPS, both of which lose some data if you turn the car off. (Turn the heater or A/C off if it still runs the ICE.)

BTW, I like to use SiriusXFM with it's DVR-like mode. I might be 30 minutes behind live broadcast when I stop for a minute or two, and don't want to lose it.

#26 ·
Running the engine to power a radio seems somewhat wasteful not to mention somewhat unsafe in an enclosed garage or underground parking. I understand the workarounds proposed above but Honda needs to implement the radio on until door opens in a software change. It's the most sensible approach and it's what my last car did.

#27 ·
In the 9th gen if you held the auto transmission lever release switch while turning off the car, the radio would stay on. Not sure it works in the 10th gen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I have a brand new 2022 Honda Accord LX and when I get to my destination if I wanna stay in the car for a minute. You put the car in neutral and apply the ebrake which is what I do ALWAYS. I always apply my ebreak out of habit. And it's an electric button in the car. Put the car in Nuetral and shut it off and it will keep radio and whatnot on, when your done. Shirt to park and get out. It doesn't hurt the car at all.