Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did you do to improve the sound system especially the bass of the car? I love the car but the sound system is subpar.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I love the car but the sound system is subpar.
This point was driven home to me when I rented a 2013 Altima a few days ago. I prefer the Honda, but the Nissan has the better sound.

I'm open to suggestions and I will be pursuing this myself with the local sound shops. Naturally, I'm not interested in a "boom car," but I want every decible I can wring out of the head unit with plenty of headroom to handle peaks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For whatever reason, my 2014 LX doesnt sound terrible when playing music from the AUX or bluetooth, but the FM is just horrible. Any suggestions for FM improvement?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Go to Audio section and ask there. There are plenty of sound gurus available for help.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
1,172 Posts
Any suggestions for FM improvement?
That's more than likely a tuner issue and frankly audiophiles have been complaining about integrated tuners for over thirty years as far a home units are concerned.

It's not surprising that car manufacturers would cut corners on "terrestrial" radio competing with satellite radio. However, I have heard some complaints about the quality of satellite reception.

I just wish Honda would recognize that a lot of people want to customize the sound in their cars and make it possible to put a new head unit in their cars.

Mobile Edge in Leighton, PA, says they've got just the ticket for improving the sound in a 2013 Accord, but it's not practical for me to drive 4000+ miles to visit their store.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just wish Honda would recognize that a lot of people want to customize the sound in their cars and make it possible to put a new head unit in their cars.
Just curious, for what reason would you need/want to change it in this particular car? With cars anymore these days, it would probably cost more to try to change it out than it would to add a processor to the factory head unit.

The factory unit in the EX-L has a little bit of a noise floor, but you can tie into the input signal (which would be for the amplifier). Nothing really wrong with these units at all, especially when adding external processing. I do see your point, though.

As for the bass, well... you can do this:

Obviously you don't have to go to that extreme, but there isn't really a way to improve on what's in there besides ripping it out and installing an amp and woofer (or two or whatever your preference).

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm doing this approach:
1) Small powered sub that fits under seat (great so far)
if that stinks, then move on to:
2) Add better speakers up front (gotta rip out those door panels)
if that still stinks:
3) No choice but to add an amp

From my own experiencing, just adding a sub helps the bass but the highs coming out of the speakers is still subpar.

Good Luck!

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
What did you do to improve the sound system especially the bass of the car? I love the car but the sound system is subpar.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105785

Even if it doesn't help increase bass in every situation, it gives you more control over your sound.

Here's an idea. If you have a good data plan, use your phone to stream music from your local radio station over Bluetooth. That way you have no sound degradation thru the tuner and you can use an equalizer in the thread linked above to make it sound better.

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
I felt the same way after living with the stereo for a few weeks.

I wanted some more clarity and crisper highs, and definately some more bass. That's where this system really falls down in my opinion.

Here's what I did:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113073

I used the Rockford Fosgate P1652S speakers in the front with the tweeter pods that came with them mounted to the front door A pillars. I had to pad the tweeters a lot, 10 db if I recall, but once dialed in, they sound very nice.

I made a very small bandpass subwoofer for the trunk that vents into the rear deck. The thread above outlines things pretty well. After living with it for several months, I can tell you the sound is very nice, and the bass is outstanding. I didn't design this system to rattle my windows, just to clean up the sound and add some solid low bass to the music. Mission accomplished. I used a small Rockford Fosgate amp to power the sub and it was a perfect match for it. Small enough to fit in the trunk and hide well.

I had a stereo shop install the front door speakers as well as the amp. I made the box myself and installed that. Sounds superb.

I ended up using one of the speaker grills from the front door speakers to cover the hole in the rear deck. I have a Sport with no rear sub there.

By the way, I've been using a USB flashdrive to run my music off of and the sound quality is much better than FM. I plugged the flashdrive into a 5" USB extension and curved it around so it lives in the compartment covered by the fold-up cubby right above it.

Just an idea for you to ponder...

TomZ

·
Registered
103 Posts
Agreed adding a powered sub as glen mentions is great.

I swapped out my front speakers and added a 12" sub from my previous truck. The sound is much better for now, and will hold me over a few more months. I plan to eventually add an amp and components as I want to keep the stock headunit in mine.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Biggest quickest cheapest way is add a powered subwoofer like an infinity basslink or rock fosgate 10 inch....
Yes, Rockford Fosgate p10-300 is a great sub.

I swapped all of my speakers to Polk Audios and spent 2 months sound deadening the whole car. My car is the quietest Accord in the state of Utah. I hope! :lmao: 66-68db noise compared to 73-74db stock.

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
I'm not sure what I plan to do yet. I'm decidedly unhappy with the head unit. I have over 256GB of music that I actually listen to, so I need something with playlist support and good organization. The Accord features neither. So far I've been using a program called "DriveSort" to allow me to organize things a bit in spite of the fact that it only reads Fat32 which sorts by date added. The best I've been able to come up with is grouping all album songs into one 'Artist" folder, then keeping them in somewhat of an order by naming them <Album Title>- <Track#>.<Song Title>. Unfortunately, anything over 50 artists is unbarably to scroll through thanks to the immense lag of the Accord's head unit, and it gets much worse when you want to find something in my 500+ song playlists. Match that with the fact that the screen only displays about 20 characters before it cuts off yet does not scroll the text, and what do you get? A complete mess.

Very disappointed.
I'm considering ripping out the touchscreen and finding a head unit that will fit that gap decently. I see no alternative. I don't think I could feel good about investing in the quality of speakers that I want while using that head unit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It honestly depends on much room you have in your trunk and much money. My 06 coupe has the aux adapter with 12gb of music from my ipod. I replaced the stock 6x9 in the rear for better sound. Its alot louder and more bass without distortion. I prefer to keep the stock system as well. Replace the stock speakers and move from there.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
1,172 Posts
Just curious, for what reason would you need/want to change it in this particular car?
You're right of course, I want my car to be mostly a mode of transportation, not an audio listening room/seismic vibrator.

However, I had to replace the head unit twice in my 7th generation Accord to the tune of a total of about $1500.

On either occasion, I would have liked to have had a choice in the matter, but alas, I did not.

That's why I mentioned it for myself, but others here have also expressed such a desire.

While my rental '13 Altima has much superior sound, the '13 Accord is not unlistenable, but having options is never a bad thing.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Honda has no excuse for how the radio sounds in our accords. And, in my opinion no one should have to defend wanting to upgrade it, it's that bad. The only way it is going to get fixed is of the magazines start saying something about it. Not sure that is going to happen, tho.

FM sound quality is unacceptable. It sounds like a bad alarm clock radio and making adjustments does not do much.

Jay

·
Hi......
46 Posts
It's almost as if Honda hates FM radio and they put special effort into making it as terrible a listening experience as possible. Or maybe they are in bed with wireless carriers who want us to stream music and use up our data. Who knows what the reason is but it ****s having a radio that's embarrassing to turn on when other people are in the car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts