Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how to properly or best to their ability able to properly launch the torquey fwd accord that gets the least amount of wheel hop?
ive practiced and from 1500-2100 rpm drop, their is rediculus wheel hop when im not even at full throttle, then at 4k~rpm drop, its not as bad but their is no traction or anything and its getting to me

·
Registered
161 Posts
get better tires, best cure for wheel hop. that and motor mounts/suspension.... but if you have stickier tires you wont hop because you wont lose traction! Sticky/soft drag radials are the only way to go.

·
S2000 driver
13 Posts
Launching at 2000 RPM sounds too low. Are you sure what you're experiencing is wheel hop and not bogging? If you launch too low then the car will bog out. Launch at higher RPM's and feather the throttle to get traction. It takes time to learn how to control the throttle correctly to get traction as quickly as possible. Remember, a little wheel spin is OK. Launching at low RPM's and bogging out put undue stress on your drivetrain and can cause damage.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
anyone know how to properly or best to their ability able to properly launch the torquey fwd accord that gets the least amount of wheel hop?
ive practiced and from 1500-2100 rpm drop, their is rediculus wheel hop when im not even at full throttle, then at 4k~rpm drop, its not as bad but their is no traction or anything and its getting to me
Must be nice to have so much money that you can abuse your car like this.

:dunno:

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
He'll learn ... maybe :lmao:
+1. OP does make a good point: IMHO the 6-6 clutch (slave cylinder check valve) design makes for a generally piss poor launch (excuse the Navy wording).

ez....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Launching at 2000 RPM sounds too low. Are you sure what you're experiencing is wheel hop and not bogging? If you launch too low then the car will bog out. Launch at higher RPM's and feather the throttle to get traction. It takes time to learn how to control the throttle correctly to get traction as quickly as possible. Remember, a little wheel spin is OK. Launching at low RPM's and bogging out put undue stress on your drivetrain and can cause damage.
whats bogging?

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
The tires break loose way too easily for the amount of torque available on the J35Z and the short gearing in 1st gear. I have found the best way is to ease into it slightly and then put the hammer down once you hooked the clutch up. If you drop the clutch above 1000 rpm the tires will chirp. Above 2000 they will spin until the traction control dials back the power just enough on it's own.

And if you turn off the traction control? You might as well just get a cup of coffee and let your front tires sit and spin all day.

Now, I'm not about to go wasting money on new tires when the car is still almost brand new. But I will be reading up reviews and keeping my options open when it comes to getting my next set when these wear out. I will NOT be replacing them with the factory Michelins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts