Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a bit of searching and couldn't find this anywhere on here. Apologies if it's been discussed before!

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. It gets cold.

I’ve always appreciated being able to turn my car on and let it warm up before I leave work during the really cold days. I also think this is better for the engine.

Well, this would seem basically impossible on a ’13 Accord with push button start… but it’s not!

• Start your car as usual
  • Get out and take the hidden key out of the fob
  • Lock your door with the hidden key (and unlock the same way)

That’s it!

·
Registered
288 Posts
And if someone wants to steal your car you've just about made it easy for them by giving them the key fob. It's pretty easy to smash a window and drive off is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can not lock your door with the fob inside the car. You can start it, and leave it running, and take the fob with you. (Never tried locking the car with it running) I think it would lock, as long as you have the fob on you...have to try it.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
And if someone wants to steal your car you've just about made it easy for them by giving them the key fob. It's pretty easy to smash a window and drive off is all I'm saying.
Right, but when he left his old key in the ignition with the car locked and running the risk was no greater.

Thanks, OP, I was wondering this weekend if there was a way to do this. My only question is will it lock all the doors?

Jay

·
Registered
335 Posts
Awesome! I was wondering if there was a way to do this. I've tried pressing the lock button on the key fob with the car running and me on the outside, with no luck.

So in theory, we should be able to...
1. Start your car.
2. Get out of your car, and take the key fob with you.
3. Lock the car with the hidden key.

Bam, car is running and locked, and you have both the key and the fob in your pocket, no?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Could you just:

Start the car,
Get out,
Hit the lock switch on the door panel,
Close door
Walk away?

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Could you just:

Start the car,
Get out,
Hit the lock switch on the door panel,
Close door
Walk away?
No, you cant with smart key. :headbash:

On my Challenger you could hit the black button on the handle and lock it if you had the fob on you while it was running.

Jay

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Ah....Honda trying to prevent idiots from being dumb and locking themselves out of their car. I kinda figured they'd have that "feature", but still wanted to know if the old-school way of locking your car pre-keyless entry still maybe worked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess... but it beats the alternatives:

• Not locking it at all
  • Not being able to let it run

And as someone else mentioned, it's about the same as leaving it running with the keys in the ignition.

You can not lock your door with the fob inside the car. You can start it, and leave it running, and take the fob with you. (Never tried locking the car with it running) I think it would lock, as long as you have the fob on you...have to try it.
You can, and I've done it now several times.

You cannot lock it at all with the fob while it's running. You can only lock it with the pully outy key.

Right, but when he left his old key in the ignition with the car locked and running the risk was no greater.

Thanks, OP, I was wondering this weekend if there was a way to do this. My only question is will it lock all the doors?

Jay
Yep! Locks all doors as far as I can tell. And nothing you do short of unlocking it with the key will open them.

Awesome! I was wondering if there was a way to do this. I've tried pressing the lock button on the key fob with the car running and me on the outside, with no luck.

So in theory, we should be able to...
1. Start your car.
2. Get out of your car, and take the key fob with you.
3. Lock the car with the hidden key.

Bam, car is running and locked, and you have both the key and the fob in your pocket, no?
Good question... I actually haven't tried that specifically. I thought I had tried every possible combination too :p

Ill give it a shot and report back.

·
Registered
335 Posts
SUCCESS!

npierno you just made my day. My theory worked like a charm! Here's what I did:

1. Start car.
2. Unlock all 4 doors. Get out of car, with key fob in my pocket. Close door, car starts beeping because key is missing.
3. Use the 'hidden' key to try and lock doors. Success! All 4 doors are locked.

Car is running, all doors are locked. Tried to unlock it with key fob, can't. Tried to unlock it by touching the handle, didn't work. The only way to unlock it was with the key.

Funny, I needed to return something to Red Box on my way home after testing this at work. I parked my car in the parking lot at 7-11, got out, locked the doors with the key, walked up to the machine, handled by business, unlocked the doors with my key and got in. No more having to stop the car, then start it again in 2 minutes.

Thanks again for the awesome little tip. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Great find. Thanks!

And for the record - no, it is not healthier for the engine to run idle for a long time, but we still do it in winterland because the alternative is worse :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you dont want to use the little key to lock the doors you can open the window , close the door reach in lock them and then quickly hit the window switch (hard enough to engage the auto up)..Just get your hand out of the way fast..:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you dont want to use the little key to lock the doors you can open the window , close the door reach in lock them and then quickly hit the window switch (hard enough to engage the auto up)..Just get your hand out of the way fast..:D
Not to be a jerk... but that seems like a lot less convenient way to do it :p

Great find. Thanks!

And for the record - no, it is not healthier for the engine to run idle for a long time, but we still do it in winterland because the alternative is worse :)
Not for along time necessarily, but enough to get the fluids warmed up... like 5-10 mins. No?

SUCCESS!

npierno you just made my day. My theory worked like a charm! Here's what I did:

1. Start car.
2. Unlock all 4 doors. Get out of car, with key fob in my pocket. Close door, car starts beeping because key is missing.
3. Use the 'hidden' key to try and lock doors. Success! All 4 doors are locked.

Car is running, all doors are locked. Tried to unlock it with key fob, can't. Tried to unlock it by touching the handle, didn't work. The only way to unlock it was with the key.

Funny, I needed to return something to Red Box on my way home after testing this at work. I parked my car in the parking lot at 7-11, got out, locked the doors with the key, walked up to the machine, handled by business, unlocked the doors with my key and got in. No more having to stop the car, then start it again in 2 minutes.

Thanks again for the awesome little tip. :)
Just came back after testing this to confirm. Same results! So happy there's a solution to this :)

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Awesome yo.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
You took my answer! :lmao:

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
on my sisters 13 rdx... if the smart key is a certain distance away the car will turn off.
I drove 3 blocks away from the house without my smart key as a test and the car still ran. You would just have to be sure not to turn it off.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i know if you can't afford it, you can't afford it (you could afford 30k+ though...) but my remote start has been the best purchase i have made so far. besides the obvious benefit of having a remote (toasty interior and no frost to scrape), i really like being able to see that the car is locked and 'armed' while I'm in my apartment and can not see the car.

well worth the $$ i don't think i'll own a car without remote start ever again!

op, good workaround nonetheless.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i know if you can't afford it, you can't afford it (you could afford 30k+ though...) but my remote start has been the best purchase i have made so far. besides the obvious benefit of having a remote (toasty interior and no frost to scrape), i really like being able to see that the car is locked and 'armed' while I'm in my apartment and can not see the car.

well worth the $$ i don't think i'll own a car without remote start ever again!

op, good workaround nonetheless.
I've never had a remote start system for any of my cars, and it sounds absolutely awesome. I was ready to jump the gun and have one installed, then I found out that all remote starter systems (as far as I know) for the 2013 Accord models kill the engine when you unlock the doors after starting the car remotely. For the push button start models anyway.

It just sounds silly to start the car, let it warm up, unlock the doors killing the engine, then start the car again. :(

If there was a way around that, I'd totally have one installed!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts