Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My issue is a little hard to put into words, but at high speeds on the freeway, I almost feel like a slight movement of the wheel, a gust of wind, could make me totally lose control of the car (and it's not speeds of 100+, maybe around 70-80). It's my wife's car and she says it seems to shake a lot on the freeway.

The only recent cars we can compare to is my wife's previous VW Beetle, which felt pretty solid, but I'm sure there's a lot of factors like ride height, weight, size..

So does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to make the car feel more "stable", for lack of a better term?

Sway bars - I've heard some people suggesting sway bars for general stabilization of the car, but I feel like they're made specifically for turning, so any improvements on freeway driving seems like it would be minimal or anecdotal.

Lowering car - Don't know if this would help but I don't know if I want to go this route for my wife's car. The car's pretty low stock as it is, and I'd be a little worried about things getting scratched, the lowered suspension holding up after 10+ years, etc.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,665 Posts
Sway bars - I've heard some people suggesting sway bars for general stabilization of the car, but I feel like they're made specifically for turning, so any improvements on freeway driving seems like it would be minimal or anecdotal.
This really will make the car more stable at all speeds, and isn't that difficult to do. Look into the Progress 22mm rear bar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This really will make the car more stable at all speeds, and isn't that difficult to do. Look into the Progress 22mm rear bar.
Thanks. Do you know the feeling I'm talking about? Like it feels kinda shaky at higher speeds. A rear sway bar would help with that?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks. Do you know the feeling I'm talking about? Like it feels kinda shaky at higher speeds. A rear sway bar would help with that?
A sway bar has no effect unless you are turning (inducing body roll).

Better have the tires checked. Could be they are over inflated....

Dave

Reactions: ypsibird and Eboy

·
Don't drink and drive
4,573 Posts
Check your lower control arm bushings. When was the last time you got an alignment and balance?

Reactions: Eboy

·
Registered
25 Posts

Better have the tires checked. Could be they are over inflated....

Dave
Thanks. The car is pretty new and dealers do tend to overinflate their tires. But last I checked the tires were around 35 psi, which is a little higher than suggested but doesn't seem that high (I think suggested was around 32/33?). I'll have to try driving the car more at different pressures to see if it might be the tires.

Check your lower control arm bushings. When was the last time you got an alignment and balance?
Thanks. Car is pretty brand new stock. We just got over 1k miles.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,665 Posts
I do know what you are referring to. The first few 1000 miles I definitely felt like the rear end was a bit loosey goosey, and not just in the turns. The sway bar really cleaned it up for me. I would dispute those that say it only has an effect while turning.

It was my first mod (At 1550 miles) besides floor mats and tinted windows. One of the best mods I did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do know what you are referring to. The first few 1000 miles I definitely felt like the rear end was a bit loosey goosey, and not just in the turns. The sway bar really cleaned it up for me. I would dispute those that say it only has an effect while turning.

It was my first mod (At 1550 miles) besides floor mats and tinted windows. One of the best mods I did.
Cool thanks. I'll probably look into getting one. As easy as it is to install and for the price, it's probably a worthwhile mod no matter what.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,135 Posts
22mm Progress RSB will definitely stabilize the car. Those who say it won't probably don't have one. Yes of course it will stabilize the whole suspension, tamp down body roll and improve handling at any speed and any road configuration. Don't tell but we have express lanes where you can easily roll @ 100 mph and my rig described below handles it perfectly well.

Reactions: Eboy

·
Registered
351 Posts
Totally agree with slimm1469 and disagree with dhbwa.

Roads are not perfectly flat so the RSB is constantly stressed to stabilize the car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Totally agree with slimm1469 and disagree with dhbwa.

Roads are not perfectly flat so the RSB is constantly stressed to stabilize the car.

Properly tuned/installed the sway bar only affects the car when the lower control arms aren't flat. Like on bumpy roads. Driving on a decent road the properly installed sway bar is neutral. Hence the name sway bar. Another way to look at is its a third spring which doesn't/shouldn't make the car ride stiffer.

Road and circle track raced far too long to be convinced otherwise but I also know that a lot of sway bars aren't neutral....

How Sway Bars Work and Why You Should Care | Speed Academy

·
Registered
287 Posts
... at high speeds on the freeway, I almost feel like a slight movement of the wheel, a gust of wind, could make me totally lose control of the car (and it's not speeds of 100+, maybe around 70-80). It's my wife's car and she says it seems to shake a lot on the freeway....
Whatever the problem is, assuming there is one, I don't think a thicker anti-roll bar will fix it. "At high speeds on the freeway," there is no "roll" to "anti." The small unevenness of the road doesn't make the car "roll."

It it does help, it's called placebo effect.

My Accord does have a Progress anti-roll bar, by the way.

·
Registered
351 Posts
OP has heard from both sides and should test it out himself. Please do update your observations.

My Accord also have the Progress RSB.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,269 Posts
70-80 isn't high speed. Here, the non-interstate speed limit is 70, and the interstate speed limit is 80.

Lowering the car won't do a thing for this either. It will still be twitchy but 1-2" closer to the road. I wouldn't worry about things being scratched, I'd worry about them being damaged. What it will do is make your car more vulnerable to damage from uneven (rutted) roads, where the high spot of the road is parallel with and between the two tire lanes. I.E. oil pan, muffler/catcon, etc. are more likely to be hit by something, even if it's not the road itself. Rocks, chunks of ice, etc...

I'd also check tire pressure, but 2-3 psi over the recommended pressure probably won't make a difference.

Maybe it's just the way the car is.

·
V4 Watch
801 Posts
My issue is a little hard to put into words, but at high speeds on the freeway, I almost feel like a slight movement of the wheel, a gust of wind, could make me totally lose control of the car (and it's not speeds of 100+, maybe around 70-80). It's my wife's car and she says it seems to shake a lot on the freeway.

So does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to make the car feel more "stable", for lack of a better term?
Aero of course:

Once I attached my middle undertrays I noticed the car felt more planted above 50mph. I started with the engine and made my way back.

Before:
IMG_4217.JPG
After:
IMG_4237.JPG
Before:
IMG_2934.JPG
After:
IMG_3916.JPG

Okay maybe there are some other things to try first... :wink

I had some highway instability in my car that was caused by worn tires in the front and new tires in the back, try rotating them and see if this changes. Get the tires balanced and the alignment checked. Shaking soulds like a balance issue. Toe out on either front or rear wheels can cause the car to feel less stable.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A new car that is unstable has a problem. All the things mentioned could improve stability and corner speed but the OP doesn't even have a decent baseline...

Reactions: hdtouring

·
Bout it, Bout it
738 Posts
You could have faulty tire(s) or a bad alignment. Despite the car being new, it's possible.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,665 Posts
At 1000 miles, you could have all sorts of issues going on, as noted by numerous other responders, however, unlikely.

So your telling me, when driving on a freeway that has a crown in the road (Which they all do), you are not inducing any body roll? Not buying it.

Those of us that have installed an upgraded sway bar know EXACTLY what you are feeling now, and how you won't feel that after the upgrade.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I would take the car to a good tire dealer and have the alignment checked. In my experience the local Honda dealer has not been good for alignments although yours might be OK. The car should be stable at any speed you are going to drive just the way it comes out of the factory, unfortunately some are not and some get damaged during shipping. Owner's manual recommends 35 psi in all four tires for high speed driving. I use 35 or 36 lbs cold and the car feels great.

I do have a Progress 22 mm rear anti-sway bar which helps reduce body lean when cornering and may improve straight line stability, but my car's straight line stability was OK to start with. The larger rear ASB does improve handling though. I have also replaced the OEM Bridgestone tires with Michelin Pilot Sport tires and that improved handling and drivability.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts