Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
2010 2.4EX
629 Posts
How to improve vehicle atability at high speeds?

#1. Buy a vehicle with conventional(HPAS/Hydraulic Power Assist Steering) instead of EPAS(electric Power Assist).

#2. Keep the OEM wheel & tire sizes on the car! No plus-sizing. Wheels and tires on cars since the 1980s have come into line with the size and weights of vehicles they're carrying. It's not like the 1960s, with carmakers putting el-cheapo tires on a 2-3 ton Impala with 14" rims.

#3. Tire pressure: Maintain cold tire pressure within 2psi above or below what is listed on the vehicle frame itself. Within that +|- 2psi 'bubble', your car will handle, ride, and respond as designed by the carmaker itself, Outside that zone, and you'll be compromising such characteristics, not to mention imparting excessive wear & stress on your vehicle suspension components and/or the tires.

Inflating more than 2psi over, the steering will become over-responsive, twitchy, 'squirrelly'(to coin a racing term), and the ride rougher, suspension components beat up on, etc.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^^235/50/17 on a '15 ex-l. This is slightly wider than 215/55/17 the car came with. No issues with twitchy or poor tracking (following ruts in the road). Speedometer is just as accurate as it was with stock. Car handles exceptionally well on corners except for lack of power when exiting.

·
2010 2.4EX
629 Posts
^^235/50/17 on a '15 ex-l. This is slightly wider than 215/55/17 the car
came with. No issues with twitchy or poor tracking (following ruts in the
road). Speedometer is just as accurate as it was with stock. Car handles
exceptionally well on corners except for lack of power when exiting.
But whyyyyy? What was wrong with the stock/OEM size?

I'm glad your particular experience was largely satisfying. As for me, I'd rather minus-size toward the narrower ratio I grew up driving on. My handling priority is staying straight. I don't take corners or change lanes like the Andrett - I mean, like most other drivers.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts